PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to showdown... A6o

Justin A
08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Party 10/20 full, 9 handed

Folded to me on the button, I raise A6o, BB calls. I have a decent read on the BB which I'll try to explain as I go here. He's about 55/6/1.3.

Flop is Ts 3c 2c, I have the Ac. BB bets out, and at this point I decide I need to see a showdown whether I improve or not. His bet here usually means he has pretty much nothing. Anyways I just call.

Turn is 5c. He bets and I call.

River is 2d. He bets and I call.

Basically I'm wondering what the best way to get to showdown here is. This guy is going to bet every street regardless of what he has once he bets the flop, and won't be folding too often to any raises. Does my turn line change if I don't pick up the flush draw, say if its the 5d instead?

centja1
08-16-2005, 03:54 PM
if the turn is not a /images/graemlins/club.gif, then i your line is fine given your read that this guy is not folding to any of your raises.

But, the turn being a /images/graemlins/club.gif (and specifically the 5/images/graemlins/club.gif), I think a more profitable line would be to raise. Once you decide to see a showdown unimproved, you obviously don't think this guy has much. For that reason, you have very little fear of a three-bet on the turn. In addition to that, it will get you to showdown for the same price assuming this guy doesn't donk-bet you on the river.

But, i think the most important reason for raising is all of the extra outs you gained with specifically the 5/images/graemlins/club.gif. You now have 9 outs to the nuts and three more outs to a chop at worst (ruling out the fairly remote possibility of this guy having exactly 67). In addition to this, you may have your overcard outs working, although they probably have to be discounted significantly.

This is all not to mention that you might be raising the best hand!

With all of this, i raise the turn and check behind on the river u/i. A6o might be enough to showdown against this guy, especially if that's where you want to be from the beginning.

BigEndian
08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
If the BB is that loose, I would pick a better hand to steal.

On the turn, I think you need to raise for two reasons:

1) You have a reasonable amount of folding equity along with your chance of improving against most opponents, loose or not, by calling the flop and raising the turn.

2) Peen waiving is fun.

If you really feel like you have to see a showdown, I guess you have to *shrug*. No one can tell you your read is wrong and you have to fold on the end without being in your seat.

Edit: and your line is fine. The only alternative imo is to raise the flop, but that can often turn into a raise-fest and cost you more than just the call-down.

- Jim

chief444
08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
If you want a cheap showdown, raise the flop, check the turn, call the river. No? I would never check the turn here though with your strong draw + decent chance of having the best hand. I would have raised the turn actually the way you played it.

Jeff W
08-16-2005, 04:20 PM
You played optimally.

08-16-2005, 05:56 PM
You must raise the turn. If you're going to call the river, put the money in when the scare card hits on the turn, so you get some fold equity.

It makes baby poker jesus cry when he sees people waste good fold equity!

(call a reraise and fold ui, obviously)