PDA

View Full Version : Computer RAM and other ramblings

ChoicestHops
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Im about to splurge and buy some more memory. Right now Im only at 512mb and would like to have 2gb. Im on a HP with P4 2.8 GHz Hyperthreading so I figure with a great upgrade in RAM my computer would be fine for a good while.

I gotta call HP and make sure my motherboard will support 2gb. My comp came stock with the 2.8 so it's faily new so I hope Im not stuck with a [censored] board. I was thinking Corsair which is saw for around $300 online. Good or someone else?

FouTight
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
I, without fail, will recommend crucial everytime, but you can't really go wrong with corsair. Memory is pretty cheap again now, so get the quality stuff.

ChoicestHops
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Ive never upgraded my computer. I dont want to keep this one stock however as I got a great deal with it when it was purchased and would like to keep it fresh. I'll check out Crucial, thanks for the suggestion.

Since upgrading it to more powerful parts do I need to worry more about a better cooling fan or anything similar?

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Make sure you buy the right kind or ram when you buy it. And Corsairs value series is excellent value for money. I personaly have never understood why so many people want 2gb ram though. Waste of money if you ask me.

ChoicestHops
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Well within the next few weeks I should be 8 tabling, and if it's only a $150 more why not. My comp would never freeze and should start up in about 3 seconds.

Wake up CALL
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well within the next few weeks I should be 8 tabling, and if it's only a $150 more why not. My comp would never freeze and should start up in about 3 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually none of the above is true (except for the fact that you will be 8 tabling of course.)

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 03:36 PM
1. Going from 512mb to 2gb will not make your computer start faster. Quite the oppisite if memtest is enabled in bios.
2. Playing 8 tables is no problem with even 512mb.

Get 1gb total instead and spend the rest on something more fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CrazyN8
08-16-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Going from 512mb to 2gb will not make your computer start faster. Quite the oppisite if memtest is enabled in bios.
2. Playing 8 tables is no problem with even 512mb.

Get 1gb total instead and spend the rest on something more fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this memtest you speak of?

off to google, BRB.

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/advQuick-c.html

08-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi....MyMindisGoing hopefully you will read this and can help me or if anyone else can help me that would be great.

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with 3.0GHz, 160GB, 256MB GeForce 6800 dual video card, and I just upgraded from 1GB memory to 2GB memory.

I upgraded my memory from 1GB to 2GB even though I was told 1GB was enough memory for 2 monitors to 8 table. I have 2 Dell 2001fp monitors.

The reason I added 1GB more of memory is because everytime I open up 8 tables (4 on Party and 4 on Empire) my computer seems to slow down and freeze for 5-20 seconds. After 5-20 seconds it will unfreeze for a minute or so, but it keeps happening. Sometimes my hand gets folded and other times I have a few seconds to act. Either way it makes 8 tabling impossible.

Since the upgrade from 1GB to 2GB hasnt helped can anyone give me any advice as to what maybe wrong? Is it Empire poker that maybe causing this? Should I try another Party Skin, like Eurobet?

I am totally frustrated trying to eliminate this freezing problem when I try to 8 table. I know I have more than enough computer to 8 table and its the main reason I bought this computer, but I cant get it to work with 8 tables open.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to try to help me correct this problem.

Thank you,

Lisa

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
"Since the upgrade from 1GB to 2GB hasnt helped"

This is what I try to say to OP.

Now for your problem. This is the first thing I would do: I suggest you try to make a perm swapfile. Even though most people have enough memory swapfiles are still used. Give it a try, might not work for this but it is good in general. If it ever complains of a too low swapfile, set to 1024 and 1024 (it should never do that though). I only have 512mb and use a 512mb swapfile and it has never complained.

How to click your way though it: Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Options/Change/write 512 in both boxes/press set/ok/ok/ok/restart computer/try now (this was in 2000, might be a tad diffrent in XP)

Keep in mind though that poker clients in general are VERY poorly written and might do stuff like that no matter how good your computer is.

Here is a more detailed guide with XP: http://computermemoryupgrade.mysuperpc.com/virtual_memory_swap_file_size.shtml

08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi....You are correct in your response to the OP, the memory upgrade has done nothing to help, except cost me $200.

I will try to do what you said later tonight when I get home and I will post if it has worked.

Thank you for such a quick reply and hopefully for my sake it will work.

Thank you,

Lisa

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
From where has the need of 2gb come? This is not to the OP but a general question. If I start PT and some querys and 8 tables of poker and have ICQ and everything windows 2000 started running, I have a total memory usage of 260mb. 260mb! That is one 8th of 2gb. Even if you would start all GT and whatever you like and the memory usage would double (phat chance unless it is ultra ultra badly written...) it would still only use 520mb! The 2gb hype is just waste of money. It would be nice to see a screenshot of someones performace and processes tab in task man running 8 tables and all extra programs people seem to need to see what is going on. My point is that 1gb is enough today and will be enough for some time.

08-17-2005, 03:00 AM
Hi....I tried what you said MyMindIsGoing and even at a setting of 6144 I still get the 5-20 second delays when I 8 table.

I am thinking about hiring the Geek Squad or some other computer expert to come to my house to watch what happens when I 8 table so that they can diagnose what the problem is and how I can fix it.

I keep thinking it is something simple and that I have the wrong setting or something minor. I assume that the Geek Squad or someone similar could diagnose the problem once they see it in person, is that correct?

Thank you,

Lisa

MyMindIsGoing
08-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Having a that large swapfile is just waste of space though. Have you checked that you got latest drivers for video/sound/chipset? DirectX? What os are you using? XP home is my guess but I don't know for sure. Maybe there is a worm eating alot of resources? How long has it been since you reinstalled XP (if that is what you use)? Could be a good thing.

08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi.....Thank you MyMindIsGoing for all your help in trying to fix my computer problem.

I only made the swapfile 6144 because the link you posted I went to and it said to make it 2-3 times the amount of RAM that you have, so I tripled it. I have 2.048GB do you think I should change the swapfile to double, say, 4096?

I am using Windows XP and I shouldnt have a worm since I just bought the computer a few weeks ago. I dont even have any big files or downloads on my computer yet. I simply have Party Poker and Empire Poker downloaded. The only other thing I downloaded is the McAfee Software (Firewall, SpamKiller, Anti-Virus, etc). Could this be slowing it down? I would doubt it since I have no computer problems until I try to open up more than 4 tables. It seems that once I open up 5-8 games I get all sorts of delays and temporary freezing.

How would I check if I had the latest drivers? Although, shouldnt I have them since this computer is just a few weeks old? What is Direct X? I dont have that listed in my add/delete programs, is this where Direct X should be? If so, how do I install it?

I hate to be a burden by taking up so much of your time which you have generously given to me in trying to solve my problem. I dont want to keep wasting your time.

So, if your answers to these questions dont solve my problem do you think somebody like the Geek Squad or a local computer expert that has an advertisement in my local paper could figure out what is wrong if they came to my house and watched what happened when I 8 tabled?

Could they tell just by watching what happens when I 8 table and then by looking at my current computer set-up could they tell me what is wrong? If so, what do these guys typically charge for a housecall? I would assume they could diagnose the problem in a few minutes, but would probably charge me for an hour. I figure $50-100 an hour?

Thanx again for all your help and I look forward to your answers to my questions. Maybe the Direct X is the problem, but I will wait for a further post.

Thank you,

Lisa

FouTight
08-17-2005, 12:55 PM
make sure to check your system resources while you are loading these tables to see what happens with your ram.

Also, at what point does this start happening? You said it doesn't work well with 8 tables, how about 6 or 4? does that work fine?

MyMindIsGoing
08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only made the swapfile 6144 because the link you posted I went to and it said to make it 2-3 times the amount of RAM that you have, so I tripled it. I have 2.048GB do you think I should change the swapfile to double, say, 4096?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those formulas are flawed. They are from the early 90s when people had nowhere near as much ram, and even then they were crap. The thing about the swapfile is to have it the same size always. It doesnt matter much if it is 512mb or 5gb. It is just that 5gb is a waste of space.

If I had problems with my computer and didn't know how to solve I would rather ask someone I knew to fix it rather than getting it to a firm of some sort. I would rather try to reinstall (format between of cource) XP and install the pokerclient and all drivers again before doing anything drastic.

If the computer is so fresh as you say there must be something eating resources. Do you have antivirus running in the background? If so disable it and try running 8 tables now.

Oh and direct x is not a problem if the computer is new. You can watch your version by pressing start and then run and writing dxdiag and read the line where it says version. should say 9.0c and some more numbers.

CrazyN8
08-17-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/advQuick-c.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I should just leave this be then, I have 1GB of RAM (came with free upgrade so go easy on me /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and only see performance problems when burning a DVD (which I now let run uninterrupted).

MyMindIsGoing
08-17-2005, 02:12 PM
DVD burning need like no ram at all. Have you checked that DMA is turned on on the drive? You should be able to play poker or whatever you want and burn at the same time with no problems on any decent computer.

Read about it here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/optDriveTweak/

Hope it helps /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi.....First, let me thank everyone for their help.....and especially you MyMind for spending so much time.

I disabled all my McAfee anti-virus and everything and it didnt help.

All I did get when I opened a few web pages was the following error message:

acrobat/ehelper:iexplore.exe application error

instruction at "0x0234494e" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be read. Click "ok" to terminate.

All it did when I clicked ok was close the web page and then I simply had to open up another webpage and everything is fine. I dont know if this error message helps to figure out what is wrong, but I am just about to give up.

I am leaving for the day, but I want to thank you all for your help. If that error message helps diagnose my problem thats great, if not well then UGH! UGH! UGH!

Hopefully, when I get back late tonight/tomorrow I will see a miracle cure posted here to help me, LOL. I think this is helpless unless I have someone here looking at what happens and then going through my computer while all 8 tables are open to see what the problem is.

This is driving me nuts since I bought this computer with these specs mainly so that I could play 8 tables. So far, between the computer, monitors, and extra memory it has been a waste of 2k. It just stinks that I read about so many 2+2ers using less powerful computers to 8 table and I go out and overspend and I still cant 8 table. UGH! UGH! UGH!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Any other helpful ideas I would appreciate.

Thank you, Lisa

CrazyN8
08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DVD burning need like no ram at all. Have you checked that DMA is turned on on the drive? You should be able to play poker or whatever you want and burn at the same time with no problems on any decent computer.

Read about it here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/optDriveTweak/

Hope it helps /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have to move some stuff around. I added a DVD burner after I got the computer so they are both (DVD drive and DVD burner) on the same ribbon with the burner being the slave. It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO. The DVD drive that is the master is in Ultra DMA mode 2. I'm guessing if I switched them around (master <-> slave) then I could burn using DMA. I did start saving files to be burned on another hard drive (long story but Dell dropped the ball and I ended up with an extra, larger hard drive and they don't seem to care). Sound like a plan? Thanks!

MyMindIsGoing
08-18-2005, 04:28 AM
"It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO."

Just as I suspected, once it switches to DMA the computer should not slow down any more. I would try running the burner as master and not connect the other dvd drive at all. See if it does DMA now. If it does and the computer wont slow down when burning, then add the other dvd drive as slave and see if it works now. If it does, nice, if not, just disconnect the slave and run burner only /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also make sure that the master is actually set to master and slave to slave. May sound stupid but worth the checkup.

CrazyN8
08-18-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO."

Just as I suspected, once it switches to DMA the computer should not slow down any more. I would try running the burner as master and not connect the other dvd drive at all. See if it does DMA now. If it does and the computer wont slow down when burning, then add the other dvd drive as slave and see if it works now. If it does, nice, if not, just disconnect the slave and run burner only /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also make sure that the master is actually set to master and slave to slave. May sound stupid but worth the checkup.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be 'cause I set it up....damn, I'll go check! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for all the help. I'll switch those around.