PDA

View Full Version : Do you fall for temptation on some cards?

08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Like yesterday. I have a 39o in small blinds and fold. Flop shows 399. Another time I have low pocket pairs and I fold to PF raise. Flop gives me a set.

It's tempting to go in with low cards on the next hand but I don't (unless I can check my way in). My blood pressure reaches 200 whenever this happens.

jason_t
08-16-2005, 02:30 PM
No, and you have a lot of misconceptions to remove from your understanding of poker before you should be playing at more than micro stakes.

NickRegino
08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
You have to train yourself to fold these hands when these situations arise, unless the pot is big like for that small pp in late lets say and there was a pf raiser with like 6 people in you will get paid, other then that you should fold these, read the book "small stakes hold'em winning big with expert play". Another thing is you do not know what comes on the flop, so unless you feel you have some sort of chance, well I mean profitable not chance, you should go ahead and call such hands as small pp. But read that book.

08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Wow. Mr Perfect has showed up. God forbid I talk about anything that might slightly deviate from EV.

So what's it like being a robot who has no emotions at the poker table and just applies mathematical probabilities to his game? I want to be like you.

Are there any kiddie tables I can play at? I'm not worthy of micros. Maybe I'll just delete my PP and PS accounts.

08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Jesus. I've read the books 15 times. I know about pot odds, stats, and so on. I was just asking if anyone ever gets tempted. That's all. A little conversation.

jason_t
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
You also have a tilt problem that will destroy your ability to succeed in this game and a personality problem that will lead to a life of lonliness and despair.

08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Speak for yourself. You're the one that attacked me. Sorry you're too insecure to have a little conversation about temptations and the randomness of poker.

I've read other posts and am amazed at the lack of civility against OPs. Just be nice. You're smart. You're beautiful. You're a winner. Act that way.

NickRegino
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Well to answer your question, no, I do not get tempted, it would be a sin. You have to play like a robot lol.

peterchi
08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speak for yourself. You're the one that attacked me. Sorry you're too insecure to have a little conversation about temptations and the randomness of poker.

I've read other posts and am amazed at the lack of civility against OPs. Just be nice. You're smart. You're beautiful. You're a winner. Act that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t's response was hardly an attack. I think that was the general sentiment of everyone who read your post.

Sorry that your attempt to start conversation didn't work out so well. It usually won't.

pokerrookie
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt go that far. Have you seen how he responds to a bad beat? It can get pretty ugly.

Now I feel bad. I see you are working on your degree at UCLA math. I'm getting my degree from Courant. We should be nicer to each other.

thejameser
08-16-2005, 03:00 PM
no.

jason_t
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
You're cute.

I don't feel that my first reply to you in this thread was mean at all. It was harsh truth that you need to hear if you think asking questions like the one you posed are interesting.

shant
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
YSSCKYAINC

crunchy1
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what's it like being a robot who has no emotions at the poker table and just applies mathematical probabilities to his game?

[/ QUOTE ]
RICH! $$$$$$$$$$$$ /images/graemlins/grin.gif

callmedonnie
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like yesterday. I have a 39o in small blinds and fold. Flop shows 399. Another time I have low pocket pairs and I fold to PF raise. Flop gives me a set.

It's tempting to go in with low cards on the next hand but I don't (unless I can check my way in). My blood pressure reaches 200 whenever this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when this happens. Its one of the mistakes I continuously make, folding terrible hands that become the nuts. It is often the difference in a losing a winning session.

jat850
08-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I was paid a high compliment the other day when I could have roofed my house with all the 65o I caught in one session. 3 showdowns in four hours was all my cards could muster. I was told "I have the patience of a saint" on the way to a losing session. On my second hand of that session I folded 37o only to see 336 flop and THEN the little old chinese lady showed her pocket 66!!! The Sirens song draws us to dangerous shoals!!!! Temptation - discipline - who will win? Only your mirror knows for sure. The funny thing is, that this is an emotion based decision. If you FEEL strong, discipline is easy. If you FEEL weak, discipline often fails. There, I have used up my quota of YING/YANG for today. LOL.

paperboyNC
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Sammy, just put Jason_T on perm ignore. He is the dik of the forum and particularly likes to pick fights with new posters.

08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Okay I'll bite.

YES, I do get tempted with crappy cards. For me, the toughest is low pairs in EP. I always feel like I can outplay most of my opponents after the flop, and I get tempted to try to do it, particularly against weak/tighties.

And yes, it frustrates the [censored] out of me when I am in the BB and it's raised to me, I look down at something like 57o, I fold it, and it makes a boat.

I guess this makes me a crappy emotional wreck of a player.

istewart
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You also have a tilt problem that will destroy your ability to succeed in this game and a personality problem that will lead to a life of lonliness and despair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had you not misspelled a word, this post would be up there with your "how to search" post in the 2+2 annals.

Dave5511
08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Sometimes I might roll my eyes or sigh when I fold 82 in the BB to a raise and the flop comes 888. It doesn't piss me off or make me want to play 82 the next time I see it.

What will get me going though is if the PFRer ends up flipping over some cheese hand that wasn't even worth a limp. I feel like I've been raped at that point.

TripleH68
08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
I never waste $$ by playing trash.

But I do get frustrated when running poorly and the trash I just mucked hits. It happens. What you choose to do from that point helps separate winners from idiot losers.

SeaEagle
08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its one of the mistakes I continuously make, folding terrible hands that become the nuts. It is often the difference in a losing a winning session.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fix this leak and you'll win a ton more. I doubt you are doing anything else nearly as costly as mucking hands that become nuts.

Dave5511
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its one of the mistakes I continuously make, folding terrible hands that become the nuts. It is often the difference in a losing a winning session.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fix this leak and you'll win a ton more. I doubt you are doing anything else nearly as costly as mucking hands that become nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

So much dry wit around here. I feel really sorry for all the people who can't tell sarcasim from pinto beans. They most lose a lot of money if they do what they read here.

jason_t
08-16-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sammy, just put Jason_T on perm ignore. He is the dik of the forum and particularly likes to pick fights with new posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I remember you. You're the guy who couldn't beat Party 3/6 and then when people tried to help you with your game you got all offensive and defensive and beligerant.

I saw last week or maybe two weeks ago that you made a similar post about me. Tread lightly.

brazilio
08-16-2005, 07:47 PM
ps, passive/aggressive is where it's at, man. That means when I beat my girlfriend I can cry in front of her later and still feel like a man when dinner's cold and I gotta reprazenttttt.

shant
08-16-2005, 08:12 PM
You know what this means right?

JASON_T VS PAPERBOYNC HEADS UP DEATCHMATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Quote: So what's it like being a robot who has no emotions at the poker table and just applies mathematical probabilities to his game?

RICH! $$$$$$$$$$$$

Hell, I'd love to be a poker robot.

peterchi
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay I'll bite.

YES, I do get tempted with crappy cards. For me, the toughest is low pairs in EP. I always feel like I can outplay most of my opponents after the flop, and I get tempted to try to do it, particularly against weak/tighties.

And yes, it frustrates the [censored] out of me when I am in the BB and it's raised to me, I look down at something like 57o, I fold it, and it makes a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

...it sounds like you might actually be playing a little bit too tight.

peterchi
08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is borderline absurd.

08-16-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay I'll bite.

[/ QUOTE ]

...it sounds like you might actually be playing a little bit too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

My VPIP is 24%. I don't think I am playing too tight. But atta read too much into my post.