PDA

View Full Version : Fess up people. Who likes Cramer's Mad Money?

cwsiggy
08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
He's probably a love him or hate him kind of guy but I love the show. Only guy who has the guts to tell a CEO or CFO their company stinks right to their face. The lightning round is getting a little old. I wish they would cut it to three times a week. Other than that, best money show on television (not many to choose from but..) Apparently the ratings are very good.
Who else likes it?

nfpceo
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Only seen it a few times but I loved it. I had to watch the full episode. His knowledge and energy is amazing...he would make a great motivational speaker.

ctv1116
08-16-2005, 04:57 PM
It's good, a little bit too much fundamental analysis for my tastes, but entertaining nonetheless.

1C5
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM
haha that guy is a nut.

when his show goes off the air he can pop a few roids and go straight to the WWF.

colgin
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
As someone who used to be one of the 10 people in America to regularly watch the Kudlow and Cramer show, and as a long-time thestreet.com subscriber, I find this show absolutely UNWATCHABLE!!!!

Hornacek
08-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Personally, I think he's a retard... we tend to turn him off or laugh at him when he comes on after the market closes at work...

cwsiggy
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
lol - Sell siders (I'll assume you are one - Knight trading???) turning off a buy side nut case. I love it!

kiffl
08-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I love the show also and watch it almost every night.

RocketManJames
08-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I enjoy the show... but, you really have to do your own homework. In general, I think it's better to hear what someone has to say about a company than not hear anything. I would never follow his calls blindly, the show at least introduces new companies for me to take a closer look at.

He really blew last night's call on Dick's Sporting (DKS). A lot of blind followers got crushed today.

-RMJ

Sniper
08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Compared to others that speak about the market, Jim Cramer is one of the best. However, that doesn't mean you should blindly follow his advice or anyone elses for that matter.

His site thestreet.com and their premium site realmoney.com are also excellent resources for information from the best collection of market commentators around.

alekhine8
08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
I am entertained watching it, and try and learn a few things each time as well. I would not blindly buy any of his stocks he recommends, but definitely pay attention to his thoughts on various sectors in the market.

cwsiggy
08-17-2005, 01:06 AM
No - definitely wouldn't go out and buy and sell on his recs, but I like the perspective he gives. It's an entertaining show.
On a side note - what exactly is his charitable trust he runs? Is it just his own money and he donates a portion of the profits to charity for the tax break, or is it some charity's money that he is managing. Anyone know how large it is?

AceHigh
08-17-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No - definitely wouldn't go out and buy and sell on his recs, but I like the perspective he gives. It's an entertaining show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, his market perspective is usually sharper than his stock picks.

I like the show.

Dan Mezick
08-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Junk food for your investing brain. Empty calories. TV with a hugely entertaining and varied audio component.

Radio mapped to TV, pandering to the masses in pursuit of ratings, and corresponding ad revenues.

A kind of audio and visual cartoon for traders. Very funny and a great way to unwind with a beer. Phil Laak as trader.

I like Cramer but I'm wary of the crowd he strongly influences with his raves and rants.

He's a volatility generator. If you could know what he was going to say, you could kill it selling volatility (via options) to the masses at little risk to yourself.

He has huge influence with undisciplined traders.

tek
08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I think he is entertaining, yet there will be an ocasional gem idea buried somewhere.

He is no better and no worse for investing than the crappy highly edited tournament coverage on Travel or ESPN...

sammysusar
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
He seems to love whatever is going up and hate whatever is going down. It seems to be braindead annalysis to appeal to the masses. Think the guy is either an idiot or a showman.

Uglyowl
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
I tivo it. Usually spend about 10-15 minutes picking out what I want to watch. It is the way to go.

I have it on series record so I guess count me in.

Some great calls, some lowsy ones, but entertaining.

wonderwes
08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I just now watch this show and I can not get enough. I am hardly even an investor, but this guy makes me laugh every time I watch him. I hope you got to see the clip where he breaks the keyboard against his desk.

Sniper
08-29-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you got to see the clip where he breaks the keyboard against his desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cramer loves to break keyboards!!

kagame
08-29-2005, 01:30 AM
dont any of you know that his hedge fund absolutely dominated?

also, hes called the big crashes and gotten out into cash and been there to put it all back in at the bottom

hes got something working right

i think his picks are fine, he doesnt just say buy whats rising, but he knows when whats low is going lower, i wish id listened to him about cisco

DesertCat
08-29-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dont any of you know that his hedge fund absolutely dominated?

also, hes called the big crashes and gotten out into cash and been there to put it all back in at the bottom

hes got something working right

i think his picks are fine, he doesnt just say buy whats rising, but he knows when whats low is going lower, i wish id listened to him about cisco

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, he might have done better when he was running his hedge fund and front running CNBC stories. But since then, Cramer's picks are no better than flipping a coin. (http://www.cxoadvisory.com/blog/reviews/blog6-29-05/)

kagame
08-29-2005, 01:55 AM
bit short term to make judgements

and he has stronger ratings for some of the stocks that have done better, he doesnt pick them all equally if you see where im going with this

dicks really was bad, thats the main point against him, i dont see anything else

midas
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Cramer is a complete joke. His show is more entertainment than actually giving stock advice. His advice is so general it's like a psychic giving a prediction. The last show I caught he was recommending big pharma stocks because of the new drugs in the pipeline - no big secret and was already priced into the stocks value.

If he had any juice he'd be running a huge hedge fund.

Sniper
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had any juice he'd be running a huge hedge fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

He ran a hedge fund for quite some time... read his book, if you want insight into why he bailed!

kagame
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
hes old, young guys run hedge funds

he ran one longer than most, and longer than anyone ever has that successfully

08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
how long?

midas
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I'll caveat my response in that I didn't read his book but I did learn that his fund was never greater than $500MM. In the hedge fund world this is a small fund, successful guys run funds in the multi-billions of $$$. If you can consistently deliver non-correlated returns of over 12%, the money will come to you and you will be managing billions of $$$ and have a staff doing all the heavy lifting. There is serious money to be made at that level.

So on circumstantial evidence alone, based on his lack of a large fund and his lightweight show which overstates the obvious and is heavy on the theatrics - Cramer did not have a successful track record.

tek
08-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Triple Booya! Skidaddy mentioned CY on Mad Money tonight!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kagame
08-30-2005, 09:09 PM
youre a moron

RydenStoompala
08-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I read his book. It was imbecilic self-gratification on a momunmental scale. I thought he made it quite clear, that wthout knowledge of order flow he couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a fist full of pardons.

Running a hedge fund? Are you freaking nuts? Scalping quarters out of 10K share NASDAQ orders is what many of his fans find to be a well-spent ten minutes. Thanks for the liquidity and for keeping the charts in order, guys. You are freaking wizards. Cramer couldn't get a job washing my car.

midas
08-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Daniel-

This morning your hero recommended an oil services company that fixes drilling rigs based on the expected hurricane damaged. Smart money has been tracking the hurricane and buying the stock over the last 5-7 days. To Joe on the Street he's a genius, to the pros he's a self-promoting hack.

bob2007
08-31-2005, 12:47 PM
He's been bullish on oil services for months now. He just reiterates his recommendations based on current situations as well.

I like cramer. He doesn't get everything right, but the trends are all good. His picks do seem like they're momentum based and seems to disregard valuations.

As far as everyone saying [censored] about the bells and whistles... its a god damn tv show.

tek
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Triple Booya! Skidaddy mentioned CY on Mad Money tonight!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cramer delivered. I was in CY at 14.55. There was a small rise the day they announced the SPWR IPO. But the Cramer pop today was awesome!

That is the value of Cramer. Get in a stock before he hypes it and riiide, baby!

coolhandsun
09-04-2005, 09:55 PM
sell sell sell