PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Question

12-14-2001, 10:53 AM
Thinking about buying a new computer. Will I be able to transfer everything from my old hard drive to the new one. How is this done. Thanks

Mike S.

12-14-2001, 11:07 AM
A number of ways; none are foolproof.

There is some software that allows you to make "image" of the old hard drive and transfer it by copying the "image" on a number of specially formtted zip disks, CD's or (God help you)-floppies or if you are lucky by transfering via a server or high speed cable connection like a SCSI, USB or even a parallel port with appropriate software. Transfering all files including system files and programs by this method can cause serious problems because of incompatibilities and/or software-hardware conflicts between an old machine and a new one.

A better method involves copying all your document and setting files and reinstallingthe programs and system files.

I suggest you find a computer geek in your neighborhood and enlist his or (better still) her skills.

12-14-2001, 12:12 PM
Mike. S.

A few questions. Are you going to be buying a computer with Windows XP (BTW - I like this operating system) or another operating system already installed? Will it come with basic programs?

Next, what do you mean by "everything"?

For example:

Does everything include MP3 or picture files (can be many gigabytes)?

Address books and bookmarks/favorites?

Installed programs where you don't have the original disk(s) or the original license is for one machine? There will be no easy or legal way to do this.

Regards,

Rick

12-14-2001, 03:20 PM
A number of ways; none are foolproof.

There is some software that allows you to make "image" of the old hard drive and transfer it by copying the "image" on a number of specially formtted zip disks, CD's or (God help you)-floppies or if you are lucky by transfering via a server or high speed cable connection like a SCSI, USB or even a parallel port with appropriate software. Transfering all files including system files and programs by this method can cause serious problems because of incompatibilities and/or software-hardware conflicts between an old machine and a new one.

A better method involves copying all your document and setting files and reinstallingthe programs and system files.

I suggest you find a computer geek in your neighborhood and enlist his or (better still) her skills.

12-14-2001, 07:25 PM
If the operating systems are compatible then its pretty easy to do if you find a computer enthusiast. If you don't know anyone then try a small computer repair shop that hires starving CS students. They will do anything for you.

12-14-2001, 08:35 PM
I have a LAN and just transfer the data files I want that way. You have to re-install all the program files anyway, so just copy the data files to a CD (assuming you have a burner) or ZIP disk, or (god forbid) floppies.

12-14-2001, 10:40 PM
what do you like about xp as opposed to 98 or me?

12-14-2001, 11:19 PM
Brett,

I had Win98. I upgraded from 128K to 384K before I installed XP so that may be part of it. It is very stable and handles multiple open windows much better without crashing.

Regards,

Rick

12-15-2001, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Mike S.

12-16-2001, 08:15 PM
Often, if the computer is an older one, the BIOS must be updated in order to install a significantly larger hard drive. You should check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if a BIOS upgrade is needed, and if so, download the upgrade and "flash" it in the old BIOS.

You might be able to do yourself, but expect problems. As a precaution, remove any hammers and heavy objects from the room while you are doing it....just in case.