PDA

View Full Version : Tens vs UTG 3X?

petvan
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm at the 30+3's for what its worth. Hodling pocket 10's and looking at a 3x in lvl 1 from UTG with no read.

My line is call here and play for set value, with villian likely on premiums. I'm interested in thoughs on this PF line? I think folding here is too weak, but aren't very comfortably raising this holding either.

Guidance?

P

jeffraider
08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I'd only be inclined to call if I was on the button and then I wouldn't be playing just for set value. I think folding is pretty much fine too.

proell
08-16-2005, 01:12 PM
This is a tough one for me as well. Are you UTG+1? I will often lay it down in this position fearing a re-raise from mid or late position. If I am in late position I will typically call and see where I stand on the flop.

mosdef
08-16-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd only be inclined to call if I was on the button and then I wouldn't be playing just for set value. I think folding is pretty much fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

or, you can call from middle position with the intent to

a) play it for set value if you get more calls behind
b) play it for more than set value if you don't get called behind (i.e., you are effectively on the button)

raising is suicide in a 800 chip tourney, imo, although you could get away with raising from the button, IF no one else called in between and IF you think the blinds will clear out and IF you feel UTG will drop his hand if he misses the flop.

petvan
08-16-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm utg+2 here. figured laying it down was just too weak, but wasn't sure if my thinking was flawed.

Karak567
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I call behind, if there is only one caller behind me, depending on the texture of the flop and if it is checked to m on an undercard flop, I will make a 1/2 or so probe bet and see where things go from there.

If there is more than one caller behind, I am playing for set value only.

If there is an overcard flop, I am obviously only staying in if a T hits.

mosdef
08-16-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm utg+2 here. figured laying it down was just too weak, but wasn't sure if my thinking was flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh. i would probably get out of there, unless you've seen a whole bunch of preflop calling in the first few hands of the tourney (it happens) and you can reasonable expect to

1. get to see a flop with no more raises.
2. get paid if you hit another 10.

usually, i wouldn't bother with so many people left to act behind you. one of them might raise, and if you get called by anyone other than the blinds you're out of position and multiway on the flop so your hands are tied if you don't pick up a set.

mosdef
08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
even if you're only up against 2 people post flop, you're in trouble if you try to pick up the pot on a whiffed flop. it's tough to knock two people (a raiser and a caller, mind you) off a flop, and one of them has position on you. I prefer to avoid this situation all together.

petvan
08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Agree.. not many flops / situations help me. HU vs only the opener on a rag flop, I may probe at it. Other than that, I'm dumping to all over cards, and calling down if more than HU.

If a 10 hits, I'm getting paid, hopefully a lot to make up for the 9 times i'm loosing here.

Pretty borderline hand it seems.

Thanks

P

jgunnip
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I think folding your your position is fine, in later positions with the decreased chance of somebody reraising you I think folding becomes more marginal.