PDA

View Full Version : How many mistakes did I make

Gahnia radula
03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
I was playing in a very loose 4/8 holdem game and was right of the button. I called with KTo the dealer called the SB called and the BB check.
The flop came A 4 Q (rainbow). The SB bet and the BB rasied.
I folded.
The turn came 7 and the river came J, giving me the nut straight.

AT the end of the hand I was very annoyed at myself. But the more I though about it, the more I think I played it correctly.

Was it a mistake to call with KTo. The game was very loose and players were calling with just about anything...even 27o. I called the KTo because I thought my K could hold up given the trash these player were calling.

Also was I right NOT to coldcall, with my gutshot straight. Were the odds againts me (I thought they were).

Comments please

Jimbo
03-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Was it a mistake to call with KTo.(?) Yes, perhaps raise to get isolated with the blinds but not call, best to fold here.

Also was I right NOT to coldcall(?) Yes this was correct.

elysium
03-30-2003, 04:28 AM
hi gah,
o.k., KTo...hmmmm. well, usually if you're coming with this from the CO you're looking to steal the blinds. yea, you called in. well, the only real worth the dang thing has is to steal blinds with.

it's interesting though because i'm finding that in poker, we communicate back and forth using our cards a lot. the best way for me to describe this situation is a failure to communicate. like in cool hand luke, oh that was a movie before your time. but your call instead of raise first in like this, well you're talking jibberish, card wise, not you gah. that doesn't sound quite right. oh well, anyway yea your opponents are answering back angrily with raises and reraises here. look at the flop. and they don't have anything. not even a lousey pair. they are simply responding angrily for confusing them. they want you to raise in so that they can hear you again.

when you steal blinds gah, and what else except a small-suited connector could you have, and for communication purposes it's customary even for some people to traditionally raise in with the dang thing, to steal the blinds with; hmmm....your raise in tells your opponents that you have nothing, you're just stealing. they answer you by saying o.k.,we don't have anything either, there...and they raise you back. this is rather complicated and only happens when stealing blinds from late position. some people steal with small suited connectors here, just for clarity. he's yes telling his opponents he doesn't have anything. the blind responds with a reraise,"i don't have anything either. haven't seen one all day!".

but now, each one knows he's 50/50 chance to win the pot by simply betting and making the other one fold, since the chances of getting a fold or winning with the best hand are right around 50/50. and the blind bets out,"i have a 50/50 chance in this one, what about you?". and the late position bettor responds with a raise,"i think i'm about 50/50 myself, not sure though.have position. how do i look?" and the blind calls,"looking good!"

so when you got raised gah, the blind was saying,"for crying out loud, why don't you say something? what are holding? i don't have anything. how about you? have you seen anything?" you should have answered back,"no. i have nothing." with a reraise.