PDA

View Full Version : Outplayed with Jacks

Riposte
08-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I feel like I was totally steamrolled in this hand. I had no idea what to do, and felt way behind on the turn but called thinking it was a WA/WB situation. The river bet seemed to confirm my fears I was WB, but was it a clear call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($1.77)
UTG+1 ($4.03)
MP1 ($9.01)
MP2 ($2.23)
CO ($3.55)
Button ($3.48)
Hero ($4.73)
BB ($5)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.1</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.09, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($0.32) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.24</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.24, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0.80) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.69</font>, Hero calls $0.69.

River: ($2.18) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $1</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.18

mudbuddha
08-16-2005, 11:22 AM
why check turn??

why check river??

gg

Riposte
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Turn check to prevent a check-raise. And hopefully induce a bluff on the river if I'm ahead.

mudbuddha
08-16-2005, 11:25 AM
if he hits 2 pair with that hand.. good for him but what range of hands did u put him on??
could have been 2 overs??
maybe even 2 overs nad 2 diamonds.. and you let him control the pace of hte hand. u had an over pair man.. take control.. bet out .. if he riases all in.. i'd still probably call. esp at such low limits. u never know what they could have

Riposte
08-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah I guess this wasn't a WA/WB thing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

08-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Not sure why you felt behind at the turn. Any read on the villan that might make you think he had something big? If not, it looks to me like he is just calling a thin draw (maybe has an Ace-rag that paired and is calling with a slim hope for a straight?)

I think if you bet the flop, you gotta bet the turn. His raise of .69 makes me think that he doesn't quite take the size of his bet seriously and may not have anything. He may only be betting because you gave him the opportunity.

If you bet the flop, called the turn, what was it about the river card that made you fold? I'd call or maybe even raise.

Without any other information, a min-raise and call preflop by villan, my read here is a weak Ace.

mudbuddha
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
yeah i think ur huge /images/graemlins/wink.gif push him on the turn to his feeble bet.. if you loose im sorry for the bad advice

Ojo_Rojo
08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
This all very much depends on your opponent - any reads?

I like your bet on the flop.

I would have bet on the turn - if youre ahead, youre not way ahead, as your opponent could hold overcards to your jacks. I think I would then fold to a raise. Check-folding is good, if you think villain is a tight, passive sort of player.

On the river, its totally player dependent. The problem is that youve shown weakness on the turn. Theres not many hands you can beat, but the way you played it, I think I would have check-called - Ive seen people bluff with A-K, or overplay 10-10 here.

Ojo_Rojo

Edit: Once again, I've given advice appropriate for a different limit /images/graemlins/mad.gif. I guess at these limits you're probably ahead on the flop - so get your head down and CHARGE!!!

08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't really mind the way you played it, except for not calling the river. I mean you practically begged the guy to bet the river with your weakness, which is fine, but then you fold what could very well be the best hand when you were getting 3.2 to 1 on your money. You have to call that river. If he bet out big, then you can fold. But a smallish river bet, you must call.

fuzzbox
08-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Why do you check the turn ?
I bet the turn and fold a raise (cos 56 just got there).

There is no real reason to believe that JJ isnt winning on this turn.

You now have to call the river.

fuzzbox
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn check to prevent a check-raise. And hopefully induce a bluff on the river if I'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain cant check-raise if he is behind you.