PDA

View Full Version : ATo, out of position

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm posting this because it was one of my last hands at the table, and I wonder if that caused me to play it poorly.

Three folds, and I raise ATo. The button cold-calls, blinds get out of the way, heads up.

The table has been largely unexceptional. It's not super-loose, most unraised pots end up three or four handed. No one stands out.

Flop is 775, and I bet. Button raises, I three-bet and he calls.

Turn is a J, I bet...

sy_or_bust
08-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Too aggressive OOP. Button often has a pair he's not folding, and if he's on a bluff you still get a turn call from overcards which puts you in a rough spot on the river

JTrout
08-16-2005, 10:06 AM
I often find myself playing a hand in this manner.
Which, if I had a specific reason (read), isn't necessarily bad.
The frustrating thing to me is that I do it just on reaction, whimsically, relying only on my "tight image" to keep me afloat.

Usually, for me, this overplaying comes in the form of blind stealing/defense.

What were you thinking?

spydog
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Just call down his flop raise. You have a decent hand OOP on this flop. Get to showdown cheaply. Don't fold and don't open yourself to abuse if he has a better hand.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just call down his flop raise. You have a decent hand OOP on this flop. Get to showdown cheaply. Don't fold and don't open yourself to abuse if he has a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I'm showing down unimproved, if he continues to bet?

BigEndian
08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
You don't provide any read on the button here or of your play up until this point (like do they have any reason to think you've been very tight). I think that 3-betting and leading the turn is bleeding chips without any other information. Sometimes you have to let other people win pots. I think the best line here is to simply call the flop raise and look to hit a card on the turn.

That doesn't prevent me from doing the same thing now and then, but whether I win or loose the hand I always look back at it and wonder what the hell got into me.

- Jim

spydog
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I'm showing down unimproved, if he continues to bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown this is a spot where I would be prepared to showdown Ace high. 2 broadway cards on the turn/river would make me fold.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think I messed this one up pretty bad. I was trying to represent a pair v. what I figured were overs that cold-called. I bet the turn, he raised, I folded and logged out wondering how I managed to lose an extra 1.5 BB on the hand.

My standard line here is call the flop raise and check-fold the turn unimproved...

BigEndian
08-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I strongly believe this is a bad practice. It's a tiny pot, let it go.

The can be other factors that would make me show down ace-high from time to time, most of them are not covered in the description above.

- Jim

HolyBejeesus
08-16-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to represent a pair v. what I figured were overs that cold-called.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably need a read for this to be profitable. Bet/Call the flop and check/fold the turn UI.