PDA

View Full Version : Born To Be Wild

Howard Burroughs
03-29-2003, 07:35 AM
I recently posted a hand where I played a hand a tad to passively. This a hand I played where I went a tad too wild IMHO.

This is an actual hand that if you were not there, it will probably be hard to believe it in fact did happen in an elegant Las Vegas poker room.

I'm in very EP with pocket kings. To make a long pre-flop story short, 10 players see the flop for five bets each with myself and the BB doing all of the pre-flop raising.

J T 2 (two hearts)

10 players see the turn for five more bets each with myself & Mr BB doing all of the betting & raising once again.

J T 2, 6 (putting up two clubs)

J & T are both hearts and the 2 & 6 are both clubs (in case Lee Jones is reading).

Sb checks, BB bets, UTG calls, I'm next and I raise. we lose just one player. This time the BB just calls my raise.

9 players pay two big bets each to see the river card.

The river brings the 3 of spades.

It's checked to me. I bet. Everyone folds.

As the dealer is pushing me the pot, he comments that this is the biggest pot he has ever seen without a showdown.

It was like something out of the Twilight Zone.

There is no question that I way overplayed my kings. I was trying to knock players out behind me (once the pot got big). I went a bit overboard in the heat of poker combat.

There's also no question that I got very, very lucky with this hand.

How should I have played it? Where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Best of Luck

Howard

Tyler Durden
03-29-2003, 11:26 PM

JTG51
03-30-2003, 01:37 AM
Wow, congrats Howard!

By my math, that's 68 BBs. You must still be stacking the chips. I've never seen a pot even close to that big, never mind one that was won without a showdown.

What kind of hands can 9 players give all that action with that they can't call a single river bet with in a 68 BB pot? Wow! I wish I could have been there to watch that one. I can only imagine your reaction when everyone folded.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-30-2003, 04:28 AM
had to be the monte carlo,or flamingo hilton?

Howard Burroughs
03-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks JTG,

As far as my reaction: Well I went over to where my wife was playing (another hold'em game) and told her I just won a pot that took the dealer quite a while to push (all those $1 chips). She said, "lets go to the movies" and off we went.

I think the BB must have had a BIG draw like a straight flush draw or a gutshot to the royal (AK suited). On the river, he's played with me enough to know that I could beat Ace-King.

As for what the others had, your guess is as good as mine. Rather strange hand.

That hand was played at the Regent $4-$8 game (with $2 & $4 blinds) a little over a year ago.

The reason I posted it now is that I was going through my session notes and thought, "I don't think I would play it so fast if this same situation came up today".

I agree with Mr Manhattan that there are wild games at times at the Flamingo & Monte Carlo also.

Best of Luck

Howard

Ray Zee
03-31-2003, 05:05 PM
you weak passive little wimp howard. you think you played it wrong or overplayed your kings-- no way. you played it exactly right. there was no indication for you to slow down at all. keep up the agrressive style and you will have enough someday to buy me dinner at the bellagio buffet.

D.J.
03-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Howard,
You seem to be in a game w/ a bunch of calling stations, and you're worried about overplaying your hand? Other than the BB, what do you have to be afraid of here? Let everyone else draw and you sit there w/ your made hand and make them put dead money into the pot, if you lose so what, people are going to get there sometimes, this time they didn't and the best hand won. That's an incredible pot, hell that's an incredible night, was that pot really over 5 racks?!? Anyway though, I think you did indeed play the hand fine, don't start feeling modest saying you got lucky, when you had the best hand the whole time, you played it the way you should have, charging draws the maximum. Ni han

-D.J.

cferejohn
03-31-2003, 10:04 PM
Since you are posting it here, this is clearly not the case, but if I was sitting at the table, it would sure look like collusion between you and the BB.

Definitely not accusing you of anything, just an observation.

Howard Burroughs
04-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Ray. I hope I some day have the pleasure of buying you dinner at Bellagio. Unless of course we can talk the world famous El Cortez Hotel & Resort into going smoke free :-)

Best

Howard

Howard Burroughs
04-01-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the nice words DJ.

Yes, it really was that big of a pot. In it's glory days, that card room had a lot of regulars who did not mind putting chips into the middle of a table. And they always brought lots of cash to the room with them. Towards the end (after several changes in management), the room was a shell of it's former self though.

Best of Luck

Howard

Howard Burroughs
04-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Hi John,

I don't believe anyone at the table felt that way because...............

1) Everyone at the table had played with everyone else many times before. All everyday recreational players.

2) There were only two bets on the turn.

3) When BB folded on the river, there was still a player (UTG) to act behind him. UTG was one of the best players in the room (Terry, plays mostly at Texas Station now). If something funny was going on, I would think that BB would raise the river to try to drive Terry out.

4) Everyone at the table was in the hand past the flop. There's a pot the size of Texas in the middle of the table. If they think someone is betting without a hand, just make a crying call on the river to find out.

But it never hurts to keep your eyes open.

Best of Luck

Howard