PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Deal w/ Spite Callers?

Degen
08-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Been tryin the 22's and 33's a bit and there seem to be a whole lot more spite callers than there were a couple months ago. I'm getting called constantly by hands as weak as J9o and SUPER INSTA called by Ax, KTo and such.

Are others noticing this trend? How are you adjusting?

freemoney
08-16-2005, 01:49 AM
both you and him will lose equity and it sucks, you gotta tighten up a little.

axeshigh
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call them bad names, and insult their mother.

Degen
08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call them bad names, and insult their mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe

Seth Money
08-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Degen,

I'm playin the same levels and I agree with the one post that playing tighter has a lot to do with it. But there are steam guys too they lose a big pot there going all in no matter what till they lose. I personally hate it because it destroys the skill of the game for us but I guess long term its good, right?

But to answer the question, yes I am seeing a lot of it at these levels. I usually just let them pout till they get over it or get lost.

Matt R.
08-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah... I think the only way to deal with these players is to tighten up slightly. Allow others to get involved in all-in situations with them, since you gain a lot of $EV when someone else is getting reamed by one of his/her bad calls. Basically, just don't push your small edges when it puts all or most of your stack at risk, and let him tangle with the other players.

Degen
08-16-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Degen,

I'm playin the same levels and I agree with the one post that playing tighter has a lot to do with it. But there are steam guys too they lose a big pot there going all in no matter what till they lose. I personally hate it because it destroys the skill of the game for us but I guess long term its good, right?

But to answer the question, yes I am seeing a lot of it at these levels. I usually just let them pout till they get over it or get lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

no its not all that good, because a lot of times they flip their K7 and they have me killed /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Degen
08-16-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah... I think the only way to deal with these players is to tighten up slightly. Allow others to get involved in all-in situations with them, since you gain a lot of $EV when someone else is getting reamed by one of his/her bad calls. Basically, just don't push your small edges when it puts all or most of your stack at risk, and let him tangle with the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, in theory this is awesome

but this leads to getting blinded off far to often to have a legit shot at winning the tourney

maybe its time to start opening up early tourney...

bluef0x
08-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Yesterday I had a guy call my push INSTANTLY with 8-4o in a $22 SnG. Of course he hit and I said "wow, nh."

His remarks were "Obviously you don't play these often, you have to make these calls." "The blinds are huge" (They were 100-200 and I had about 900 more chips than him)

Matt R.
08-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Yes, I'm a big fan of opening up early on regardless of the level.

But... I don't mean to wait around until getting blinded out. There's still obvious push situations that you shouldn't pass up. Just don't be quite so eager to take your marginal pushes when the spite caller in question can cripple or bust you.

Matt R.
08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Obviously you don't play these often, you have to make these calls." "The blinds are huge"

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought for a long time that as the online players learn more about poker, the games should eventually toughen up as they approach the skill level of solid 2+2'ers.
Then, comments like these remind me of the ignorance displayed at a typical poker table. Thank god for blatant stupidity, especially in games involving money /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Degen
08-16-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm a big fan of opening up early on regardless of the level.

But... I don't mean to wait around until getting blinded out. There's still obvious push situations that you shouldn't pass up. Just don't be quite so eager to take your marginal pushes when the spite caller in question can cripple or bust you.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you suggest trying to spot the spite callers, but often times it is hard to do while 8+ tabling, and also when you spot him it may already be too late.

citanul
08-16-2005, 02:29 AM
The first step to fixing this is to not attribute spite where there is none.

The people making these calls are 99% not doing it out of spite, they are doing it because they honestly think it is the correct play.

Regardless, you have to tighten up your range against callers.

citanul

Shillx
08-16-2005, 02:35 AM
Tighten way up. Even more so with hands that don't run well against big ranges (stuff like A-small). Hands like KQ play much better against these types. Let other people make the mistake of pushing into him.

Brad