PDA

View Full Version : 99-Passive-Feeble attempt of pot control

orange
08-16-2005, 01:43 AM
.25/.50 NL live, 5 handed. Game is mainly loose-passive, with Villan pushing all the action. He is in 90% of pots, and bets/raises frequently with any two. He has the table covered with ~$90.

Villan respects my raises and bets, and will fold 90% of the time to my action. He will try and bluff me more frequently than others. 2 weeks ago, I decided that I would call with any peice of the board, and any pair (or better) against his bets. The results have been excellent so far.

Hero has been playing TAG, cold cards have kept me out of the action. Hero has ~$55.

Hero has 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP, Hero limps, along with everyone else. Villan is in MP. 5 to the flop...

(~$2.50) Flop: 3 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif
All checked to the villan who bets $2. Hero is the only caller.

(~$6.5) Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks
Villan bets $4.75
Hero calls $4.75

(~$16) River: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks
Villan bets $9
Hero calls $9

-Some thoughts I had during this hand-

I put villan on any 3, any 4, perhaps even nothing. I admit I played extremely passive, but I thought if I raised the turn, I would only be called by a hand that beat me (a flush, villan would fold most other hands IMO). When the last /images/graemlins/heart.gif hit, I felt I was 50/50 to win the hand.

What do you think?

Go_Blue88
08-16-2005, 02:25 AM
i don't like c/c the river. leading is better.

Macquarie
08-16-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I think I prefer check-calling. He may check behind. Is anyone you beat calling your lead? If you lead, how much do you lead for?

I think your line here is fine.

MTBlue
08-16-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm kinda confused why you didn't jam this turn. I want my opponents to pay big to hit the one card flushes and you will almost certainly get called if he has one flush card. I check fold this river. I don't think villian calls the turn or bets the river without a heart considering you betting is representing a flush. Maybe this guy was the exception.

Macquarie
08-16-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda confused why you didn't jam this turn. I want my opponents to pay big to hit the one card flushes and you will almost certainly get called if he has one flush card. I check fold this river. I don't think villian calls the turn or bets the river without a heart considering you betting is representing a flush. Maybe this guy was the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you jam the turn, you'll certainly get called by a made flush, and fold out all villains apart from infrequently when they hold a strong heart.

I don't think a passive line is so bad here, especially with the fh redraw. We don't want to bet the turn and get shut out by a big raise by a made flush.

yellowjack
08-16-2005, 03:12 AM
I really dislike the way this hand was played on every street except the flop. You say that villain will fold to your bets and raises, so I don't think that's a bad thing if you raise the turn. I'd gladly take the $11.25 in the pot. I'd also be happy if he called me if I raised the pot to say $10 more to him.

I think fearing the flush is really weak here, and that a call would more likely indicate Ah or Qh than a made flush. As someone else stated, raising opens us up to a re-raise that we might not be able to call. However, given the villain's wide range of hands (mostly containing a single heart) we have to make the river card more expensive.

orange
08-16-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villan respects my raises and bets, and will fold 90% of the time to my action.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will bet with nothing, but only call with something against me.

orange
08-16-2005, 01:19 PM
bump for the daytime posters /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-18-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And given your betting, what hand (range) did you put him on?

kevkev60614
08-18-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, why not bet the flop? If he calls he likely has a K or a flush draw, and you can play from there. When the 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif turns, I'd lead for 1/3 pot. If I'm raised, I'm out, if I'm called I c/c the river. Thoughts?

erby
08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

leading on the river folds out small flushes...if he's gonna call $9 anyway...might as well bet and represent the nut flush...doesn't hurt that he played it so passively either, villian could easily give him credit for a high flush with his line, especially if villian has so much respect for his betting...which OP stated

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ipp147
08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be pretty comfortable leading the river with a blocking bet of around $8-9. I'm sure he will fold a lot of small flushes if he respects you as you say. If he raises I can happily fold.

Not many people are capable of bluff raising with a 4 flush on board. By betting you get him off of his small flushes and you can't get bluffed out the pot if he leads for larger at the river