PDA

View Full Version : Pat Jack Seven UTG KCL.

dibbs
08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
7 handed KCL. There's a fair amount of raising going on with decent jacks and better. Some pots will see multi limpers on 2 cards draws etc. People will often bet J highs on the end for value and get calls.

So, hero gets J 7 4 5 2 UTG. What's a good plan of action here?

KotOD
08-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Interesting, because I've won my two biggest pots with a similar hand and lost my biggest pot with a similar hand.

The game is much more loose tonight. /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I think you stand pat, and bet out if you are against a drawer.

timprov
08-16-2005, 01:30 AM
I would limp with the intention of drawing, reraising, or folding depending on the action behind me.

randomstumbl
08-16-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm not an amazing single draw player, but here's my thoughts on this hand.

Your position and any action in front of you substantially changes your best move.

Still, I'd make your standard raise and then go from there. Draw to the 7 if you get multiway action or a reraise that has position on you or stands pat in front of you.

You can win a much bigger pot by breaking this hand. So, don't worry about the times you might have won by staying pat. Staying pat will allow you to win small pots more often, but is seldom worth it with such a good draw against most opponents.

Edit: Somehow I missed that you were under the gun. Tim's probably right about limping being good. I still like raising, but it definitly depends on your opponents. You probably can't stay pat with this hand ever though.

MarkGritter
08-16-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
7 handed KCL. There's a fair amount of raising going on with decent jacks and better. Some pots will see multi limpers on 2 cards draws etc. People will often bet J highs on the end for value and get calls.

So, hero gets J 7 4 5 2 UTG. What's a good plan of action here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to have to draw if you're called by anyone behind you. You are also going to have to draw if anybody is pat ahead of you. If you stand pat against one of the blinds, you probably have to fold or pay off a value bet a significant portion of the time, and usually win only a small pot. So I would just plan on drawing since you are so smooth.

You have a significant edge in a multiway pot, though, so you should do whatever will typically produce one at your table--- limping will work, it sounds like, and you can consider folding to a significant raise behind you (or calling based on implied odds.)

bobman0330
08-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Standing pat is terrible in my opinion.

Obviously, if someone calls in position, you must break.

If only one caller is in front of you and draws 1, you really ought to draw. In NL games, you should be trying to get implied odds, not lay them. (In a limit game, definitely stand pat against a draw.) The pot isn't very big with only one caller, and a J-7 is not a fun hand to play after the draw. A wheel on the other hand...

If you run a few 2dimes numbers, you'll find that standing pat increases your edge by about 5%. That's 5% of maybe 8 BBs = .4 BBs. It's hard to imagine you won't lose more than this just trying to play J-7 after the draw.

spaminator101
08-16-2005, 11:51 AM
it depends you should only play pat jacks from an early position if the ante is really high and then i wouldn't play them out of positioni would just call maybe raise and then draw to the wheel

KotOD
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I would normally agree with breaking the J, but not in the afformentioned game.