PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Re-Raise Or Even Dumber Call After?

RocketManJames
03-29-2003, 03:14 AM
Live 3/6 game. The table is very loose, but not all that passive. I wouldn't call it agressive, but it was not as passive as I'm used to at this card room.

I'm in the SB with K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . 5 limpers including the button is a live blind (rake collection). I call, BB is in. 7 of us to see the flop.

3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I check, it gets checked around.

Turn is 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Awesome! I bet. , 3 callers. BB and the Button fold in this round, as does 1 other guy. 4 to the river.

The River brings the A /forums/images/icons/club.gif . I bet out again. 2 of the 3 fold. The final guy raises me.

Here's my "dumb" (?) re-raise... I re-raise it. I figured the guy maybe had the Qc, put me on a smaller made-flush on the turn, so decides to pop me. So, I re-raise him. Is this stupid because of the pair on the board? I certainly didn't put him on a set. He re-raises me.

Now, here's my "even dumber" call. Is this a routine laydown at this point? His 4-bet is emanating "I can beat a flush". So, as I said. I called the bet.

He turns over A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . I can't say I blame him for playing it the way he did... He had a suited Ace, which warrants a pre-flop call with all of those limpers. He hits his 3 pretty hard (not sure why he didn't bet, especially with 2 clubs on the flop). At the turn, he can easily put me on a flush... even so, he figures that he's got a lot of outs. Correct me if I'm wrong... He's got 3 A's, the case 3, 3 9's, and 3 5's. So he's got 10 outs, which totally warrants his being there to the river. And he hits.

Now, tell me how badly I played this.

In a sad, sad world tonight,
RMJ

elysium
03-29-2003, 04:12 AM
hi rmj,
rocket, there wasn't a whole lot you could here. let me look at this thing. o.k., rocket... i don't want you coming in out of position with this holding. it's not what it looks like , as you see. the pre-flop call wasn't bad, unless you don't understand that it wasn't good. in that case, it was bad.

you've got problems with this hand. why not come in? your position. the worst. also, you aren't getting a free ride. i'm not saying that the call wasn't acceptable, it was. its just that anytime you have a greater than subtle blemish; in this case the poor position, weakness, multi-way....oh the multi-way aspect? well, with this holding, from that position, you would prefer two pair in a 3 or 4 way over what you got. remember, the number of opponents actually can weaken rather than strengthen a flush; remember that rocket.

if you had flopped two pair and you were short-handed, you are better off. why? position. position is important. now, just having the ace high here, rather than the king high, would have interferred with an opponent's full house potential.

watching your hand unfold, i didn't see any glaringly blatant errors. you usually see more missed bets than anything else. and we're predisposed to recover them. so you need a stop-gap type application for this scenario, and usually , when the hand is blemished at a level greater than subtle, call in those tough borderline areas unless a raise will remove the blemish. prior missed bets is not a blemish toward your current hand. and since your hand was blemished (pair on board) and a raise wouldn't remove it, call , unless other than more money, there is some reason to raise that is more important than the reduced risk of a call. blemished; tough decision.

that second paragraph or so rocket. i was saying that two pair is preferable to a flush draw in short handed pot. you'd actually rather have the two pair. and if you had an ace high flush draw, you can see how it would have helped to stop the boat . one less ace in deck. with a weak-ish holding, a holding that doesn't literally compell you to play it because of its strength in the current table environment, in those tough borderline areas of raising or calling, especially in the calling of a raise area, tend to cool it.

JTG51
03-29-2003, 04:42 AM
the pre-flop call wasn't bad, unless you don't understand that it wasn't good. in that case, it was bad.

Wow, that's beautiful.

lil'
03-29-2003, 05:03 PM
I think you did just fine. Your opponent played the hand way too slowly. With bottom set and two of the same suit on the board, he's gotta bet SOMEWHERE.

I don't think that your re-raise is dumb at all. This guy has given you absolutely no indication that he flopped trips. He could easily have Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif or J /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Your call was not dumb either., although you can probably assume it's not going to be good news for you.

Make a note for the future that when this guy raises, he must REALLY have something good.