PDA

View Full Version : 88 in BB

08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Pacific 10/20, villian's numbers are 23/7.5/1.5/200.

I'm in BB with 88.

Preflop: UTG+1 limps, folded to me, I check.

Flop: K 4 5 rainbow.

I check/call.

Turn: 6

I check/call.

River: K

I check/call.

Harv72b
08-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Given that UTG+1 seems to be a reasonable player (stats-wise, anyway) and not overly aggressive postflop, I prefer a bet/fold line on the river. I think he checks through with some worse hands that he'd call a bet with (UI pocket pair <88, a decent ace, etc), but if he raises you on that river you can be pretty sure that you're beaten.

FWIW, my standard line here would be to c/r the flop, but I definitely see the wisdom in check/calling to the river when you're HU vs. an EP limper in a medium stakes game.

Paxosmotic
08-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Seems like a WA/WB. What about a river bet?

shant
08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Raise preflop. Bet/fold river.

08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't like the bet/fold river because it screams K, and him being somewhat passive, might fold a pair smaller than 88.

Nick C
08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I would have raised preflop with my probable (slight) edge.

Then I would have bet the flop to represent the king and try to get Villain to fold his two overs to my pair (or even his 99).

Since you checked preflop instead, your line seems all right to me. I would consider a flop checkraise, though.

River a 7 next time, by the way.

brazilio
08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
passive doesn't mean tight, he'll just call instead of raise. I like a bet/fold because he's probably passive enough to depend on him not to bluff raise a non K.

Harv72b
08-16-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the bet/fold river because it screams K, and him being somewhat passive, might fold a pair smaller than 88.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he would fold an UI PP less than 88 for 1 bet, there's no way he's betting it when checked to. Keep in mind that there are only 3 pocket pairs that you beat on this river, and 2 of those are underpairs to the entire board.

Your typical passive opponent can find a lot more reasons to call this river than to bet it.

BWebb
08-16-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he has exactly 77, he isn't folding a pair lower than yours. He isn't limping in with 33 or 22.

I'd checkraise the flop. I don't feel this is a WA/WB situation because your hand is very vunerable to overcards. If I didn't checkraise the flop, I'd donk bet the turn. I don't want this guy getting to the river for 1 sb postflop. The way you played it, you are forcing yourself to call him down in a smallish pot no matter what comes on the turn or river.

W. Deranged
08-16-2005, 01:50 AM
1. Raise pre-flop. You likely have a small equity edge, and you'd love to take advantage early, as you might encourage your opponent to fold a profitable hand later on if you get aggressive now.

2. I don't particularly like check-call on the flop followed by a check on the turn. You are way too likely to be ahead here, and I don't like allowing either street to check through because I don't want my opponent catching an overcard. My opponent will be making a mistake by calling with overcards; let him make that mistake.

3. Once you get there, bet-fold river is better.

My basic issue with the hand is that I don't think your line acknowledges just how likely you are to have the best hand.

Jake (The Snake)
08-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Not raising preflop is actually a pretty big mistake I think as you likely have an equity advantage plus you will force villain to fold hands incorrectly

Also this is absolutely not a WA WB hand since your hand is so vulnerable so you need to be more aggressive somewhere probably by betting the flop

hobbsmann
08-16-2005, 03:24 AM
I like leading the flop in situations like this.