PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay JJ in LB?

bcubed72
08-16-2005, 12:28 AM
This hand came up today at Pacific Poker, at the $100NL tables. Although I got the right results, in retrospect I believe I misplayed my hand. The main opponent in this hand, reed29, is a LAG player who was caught bluffing a couple times in the 30min proir to this hand.
Players:
Hero (LB): $83.76
crpike (BB): $59.20
estate1 (UTG): $110.65
krigoul (UTG+1): $19
GCM22 (UTG+2): $57.85
villan (CO): $114.40
sirv3 (B): $23.50
bcubed posts LB ($0.50)
crpike posts BB ($1)
Hero dealt J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Estate1 folds
krigoul calls ($1)
GCM22 raises ($2)
villan calls ($2)
sirv3 folds
hero raises ($7)
crpike folds
krigould folds
GCM22 calls ($6.50)
villan calls ($6.50)
Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
hero bets ($22)
GCM22 folds
villan raises ($70)
hero calls ($48)
Turn: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
hero checks
villan bets ($5)
hero raises all-in ($5.76)
villan calls
River: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
villan shows K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
hero shows J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
hero wins $173.02
now as to my strategy:
I raised preflop as no one had yet shown real aggression, and my JJ figured to be the best hand; plus, I also wanted to punish weaker hands and make them pay to play. Either winning preflop or limiting the field to one or two players works for me.
With the flop all babies, but somewhat scary with the 3 clubs, my goal was to semibluff, hoping to win the pot right there by giving flush draws poor odds to continue (I wasn't very worried about the straight draw, as the fact 2 players called my preflop raise makes it unlikely my oponnents had 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif or 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. When villan (who is LAG) makes the big reraise, I have him on a flush draw. I think if he had the flush, he'd bet a bit less to try and suck me in. Figuring myself ahead, I call. The turn is self-explanatory, as I was pot-committed.
Where I think I went wrong: even if my read is correct, I stand to lose to redraws almost 50% of the time (to a flush, a straight, two pair, or an overpair). Plus, if I am wrong, I'm drawing awfully slim.
This is any easy fold against a typical TAG opponent; I only called because of the loose play of my adversary. However, In hindsight, the call was probably wrong against ANY opponent. I welcome your responses.

Allinlife
08-16-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hero bets ($22)
GCM22 folds
villan raises ($70)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you fold your overpair no redraw on mono-coordinated board.

p.s) raise more pf,, 10 should do.

async
08-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Well, if you put the villain on the hand he had - overcards with a single club - he's about 51%. If you put him on 2 clubs, he is almost 97% to win the hand. You're into the pot $29, and this is for your stack, so you're getting 2.31:1 to call, not counting the rake; that means you need to win this 43% of the time for the call to be correct.

So really, it comes down to what he's holding most of the time.

Let's say he's:
40% made flush
40% overcards w/ 1 club
20% pure bluff

His total win% is 59.2%; you do not have odds to call, especially factoring in the rake.

Let's say it's a more favorable:

25% made flush
50% overcards w/ 1
25% pure bluff

His odds to win are about 50%. You barely have odds to call.

Other hands might include undercards with 1 club (T9o) (37%), or a set (85%).

I think when you put it all together, it's unrealistic to expect him to have the weaker hands (or no hand) often enough to make this profitable unless he is an absolute maniac.