PDA

View Full Version : Baker's dozen

Homer
03-29-2003, 02:15 AM
I played about an hour of 2/4 and 3/6 today at Party Poker. I seemed to connect with everything and won about $250 in this short amount of time. Despite this I am certain I made some mistakes (though not as many as usual!). Feel free to comment on any of the hands posted below. The games were super loose and super passive, btw.

Hand 1

I'm dealt 66 UTG+1. I open-limp, button and SB limp, BB checks. Four to the flop.

Flop - 4d 2h 4c

SB bets, I raise, button folds, BB coldcalls, SB reraises, I fold.

Hand 2

I'm dealt 85s in the BB. MP limps, I call, BB checks. Three to the flop.

Flop - 8d 3h 8c

I bet, both call.

Turn - 8h

I bet, both call.

River - 3d

I bet, both call.

Hand 3

I'm dealt TT UTG+1. UTG raises, I coldcall, LP poster calls, SB calls, BB calls. Five to the flop.

Flop - 7c 7d 9s

I bet, only the poster calls.

Turn - Qs

I bet, poster calls.

River - 5d

Check, check.

Hand 4

I'm dealt 66 UTG+2. I open-limp, button raises, I call. Two to the flop.

Flop - 2h Ts 2d

I check, button bets, I call.

Turn - 6d

I bet, button calls.

River - Ks

I bet, button calls.

Hand 5

I'm dealt AKo on the button. EP limps, MP poster checks, MP2 raises, I three-bet, SB coldcalls, EP and MP fold, original raisor calls. Three to the flop.

Flop - Td 3s Ah

MP2 bets, I raise, MP2 calls.

Turn - 4h

MP2 checks, I bet, MP2 calls.

River - 6c

MP2 checks, I bet, MP2 calls.

Hand 6

I'm dealt AKo in the small blind. UTG limps, MP poster raises, LP coldcalls, I reraise, UTG folds, MP and LP call. Three to the flop.

Flop - Js Ad Jh

I bet, MP calls.

Turn - Ts

I check, MP bets, I call.

River - 9c

Hand 7

I'm dealt KQs in MP. Loose-passive UTG limps, I raise, UTG calls. Two to the flop.

Flop - Td 9s 5c

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Turn - 8d

Check, check.

River - Qc

UTG bets, I call.

Hand 8

I'm dealt A9h in the CO. MP limps (UTG from Hand 7), I limp, SB calls. Four to the flop.

Flop - 8d 2s Ad

MP bets, I raise, MP calls.

Turn - 4d

MP checks, I bet, MP calls.

River - 4s

MP checks, I bet, MP calls.

Hand 9

I'm dealt KTh in MP. EP limps, I limp, button limps, SB calls. Five to the flop.

Flop - Jd 6h Qd

EP bets, I raise, button and SB coldcall, EP calls.

Turn - Kd

SB bets, EP folds, I fold.

Hand 10 (I love hands like this that just keep getting better and better)

Im dealt 98h in MP. UTG and two MP's limp, I limp, BB checks. Five to the flop.

Flop - 7d 6h Ad

UTG bets, MP1 calls, I call, BB checkraises, all call. Four to the turn.

Turn - 5c

BB checks, UTG bets, MP1 calls, I raise, BB coldcalls, UTG and MP1 call.

River - 4h

BB bets, UTG and MP1 call, I raise, BB and MP1 call (UTG folded...hmmm).

Hand 11

I'm dealt KJs in LMP. I open-raise, button coldcalls, BB folds. Two to the flop.

Flop - 6d Ts Jc

Bet, call.

Turn - 7h

Bet, call.

River - 4c

Bet, call.

Hand 12

I'm dealt KQh on the button. MP limps, I raise, MP calls. Two to the flop.

Flop - Js Ac 4s

I bet, MP calls.

Turn - Qc

River - 6s

Check, check.

Hand 13

I'm dealt AhKs in MP. EP and MP limp, I raise, button coldcalls, SB calls, BB folds, EP and MP call. Five to the flop.

Flop - Kc Qc Qh

SB bets, MP raises, I coldcall, button coldcalls, SB calls. Four to the turn.

Turn - 8c

Checked to the button who bets, all call.

River - 7h

It gets checked around.

-- Homer

Homer
03-29-2003, 02:25 AM
Hand 1 - SB had A3h, BB had 62o. I still think my fold was correct, though...do you?

Hand 2 - BB had 97c (playing the board), MP had JTh (playing the board).

Hand 3 - Poster had 65o.

Hand 4 - Button had AQo.

Hand 5 - MP2 had AJc.

Hand 6 - MP also had AKo.

Hand 7 - UTG had 32d.

Hand 8 - MP had A6o.

Hand 9 - The As came on the river. EP had Q7o, button had JTo.

Hand 10 - BB had T8d, MP1 had A3o.

Hand 11 - Button had AKc.

Hand 12 - MP had J5c.

Hand 13 - SB had AJo, MP had K4d, button had K8h.

-- Homer

MHoydilla
03-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Ok heres how I would have played them: 1: I would have folded too. 2: same as u. 3: Same. 4: would have gone for the check raise on the turn but I might have bet also instant decision. 5: same. 6: Same. 7: Same. 8: I probably check the river. 9: I call the turn and river if no diamond. 10: Same. 11: Same. 12: I bet the river after check to. 13: Same Hope some of this helps....

JTG51
03-29-2003, 02:53 AM
Hand 1: Looks good to me.

Hand 2: Looks good again. You've gotta love it when you can get 2 callers on the turn and river when you have quads.

Hand 3: I'd 3-bet preflop most of the time. Given the way you played it, I think I"d probably bet the river.

Hand 4: I'd bet or check raise the flop most of the time. I'd like to try and make overcards fold as soon as possible.

Hand 5: That's the way I'd play it the majority of the time.

Hand 6: I'd bet the turn most of the time. I think the way you played it is fine though, especially against an unknown opponent.

Hand 7: I think I would lean towards betting the turn heads up. I'd be more likely to check behind with A high than K high. Then again you don't really want to face a check raise, so maybe taking the free card is good.

Hand 8: I'd raise preflop almost every time with A9s from the CO after a weak limper. Post flop looks good.

Hand 9: Eh, tough to say without knowing SB. Some players will always bet the flush there, some never will. Having the cold calling button behind you makes the decision that much tougher. If folding is a mistake it can't be very big.

Hand 10: Looks routine to me. I have a feeling you just included it because it's fun when you get to jam the turn and river with the nuts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hand 11: Looks routine again. I'm guessing you lost this one, I can't think of another reason that you would have included it.

Hand 12: I don't understand the action, you say you are on the button but you have yourself acting first on the flop and turn. Did MP bet into you on the turn?

Hand 13: I'm not sure I like any street post flop. I think 3-betting the flop would make the rest of the hand much easier to play.

rharless
03-29-2003, 12:02 PM
First of all, I like your subject /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

The games were super loose and super passive

These hands might not be particularly representative of the table, but it didn't strike me as "super loose". Over half of these hands only have 2-3 people to the flop... given that...

Hand 1

I'm dealt 66 UTG+1. I open-limp

I think this should be folded. Rest of the hand I think you played well.

Hand 2

I'm dealt 85s in the BB. MP limps, I call, BB checks. Three to the flop.

Are you the SB? I personally wouldn't complete in the SB against two players, but I have bad SB judgment since that is not my normal game structure. If you're not SB I think you should fold. Rest of the hand is great! You must have been praying, please raise me!

Hand 3

I'm dealt TT UTG+1. UTG raises, I coldcall, LP poster calls, SB calls, BB calls. Five to the flop.

I often cold call too much in this situation here -- I think as JTG says it is correct to 3-bet here. I also would strongly consider folding if UTG is a "book raiser".

Again, I think rest of the hand was fine, though I would maybe bet the river.

Hand 4

Too loose here, I think.

Flop - 2h Ts 2d

I check, button bets, I call.

I would usually bet here. And/or, check-raise the turn when you catch your set.

Hand 5

I'm dealt AKo on the button...I three-bet...Three to the flop.

Flop - Td 3s Ah

MP2 bets, I raise, MP2 calls.

This is how I would play it particularly with a player still behind me. I posted a similar hand that received the advice to wait till the turn to raise. Not sure if that advice applies only to headsup.

Hand 6

I'm dealt AKo in the small blind... I reraise...Three to the flop.

Flop - Js Ad Jh

I bet, MP calls.

Turn - Ts

I would be tempted to bet the turn here but I don't know if that is correct. But I would check-call the river like you did. I think some other people would just bet-bet-bet.

Hand 7

I'm dealt KQs in MP. ... I raise... Two to the flop.

Flop - Td 9s 5c

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Turn - 8d

Check, check.

I hazard a guess that you do not have KdQd /forums/images/icons/smile.gif as I would be too excited about new outs from the turn to check it through. I think I would bet here, but then again your turn check induced a bet on the river, so you might have won more given that you checked the turn.

Hand 8

I'm dealt A9h in the CO. MP limps (UTG from Hand 7), I limp, SB calls. Four to the flop.

I am not sure what I would do here, but given that many flops you have listed up till now have been 2-3 handed, I think I would raise here and hope to get it headsup. Given that you did not raise, I think the rest of the hand is just right.

Hand 9

I'm dealt KTh in MP. EP limps, I limp, button limps, SB calls. Five to the flop.

Flop - Jd 6h Qd

EP bets, I raise, button and SB coldcall, EP calls.

Turn - Kd

SB bets, EP folds, I fold.

Really tough one. You have to know your players well here I think. Given that both SB and button cold called your flop raise, SB has bet into you and button has yet to act, I think the fold is a good laydown.

Hand 10 (I love hands like this that just keep getting better and better)

fandamtastic /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I think you won just about the most you could on this hand.

Hand 11, 12

I think these are fine. I think in 12 I would usually bet the turn again b/c if I am not raised on the flop, I think the Q is the best pair when I catch it on the turn.

Hand 13

I'm dealt AhKs in MP. EP and MP limp, I raise, button coldcalls, SB calls, BB folds, EP and MP call. Five to the flop.

Flop - Kc Qc Qh

SB bets, MP raises, I coldcall, button coldcalls, SB calls. Four to the turn.

I really don't want to be in a 4-handed turn on this board. I 3-bet the flop and see how they react to that.

BBill
03-29-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm dealt 66 UTG+1. I open-limp, button and SB limp, BB checks. Four to the flop.

I'd fold here as well, it's that or check call with 2 outs because 44 is gonna see the river betting like that

I'm dealt 85s in the BB. MP limps, I call, BB checks. Three to the flop
I think you played this properly as well. If a check raise had ben successful the 2 other players would most likely have foled the river - same amount of bets and they could have hit a miracle card this way and bet it up.

I'm dealt TT UTG+1. UTG raises, I coldcall, LP poster calls, SB calls, BB calls. Five to the flop
With a position disadvantage this is an acesptable conservative play as far as I'm concerned. I'd say the caller had a lower PP and could have tripped on the river so a bet would only be hoping he doesn't raise.

I will read the results now as I have to run but these are very thought provoking hands - thanks ]
bbill

BBill
03-29-2003, 04:35 PM
back now - hve not seen results
I would think that a check raise would be proper if more players were in but hu he might fold and you gain no additional bets - no check raise keeps the game loose ?
comments ?

#5 I'm dealt AKo on the button. EP limps, MP poster checks, MP2 raises, I three-bet, SB coldcalls, EP and MP fold, original raisor calls. Three to the flop.

I'd play this the same way (I'd put mp2 has JTs ?)

I'm dealt AKo in the small blind. UTG limps, MP poster raises, LP coldcalls, I reraise, UTG folds, MP and LP call. Three to the flop.

I'd play the same way and put MP on AK or AKs

I'm dealt KQs in MP. Loose-passive UTG limps, I raise, UTG calls. Two to the flop.
I think this is proper play for HU - I'd put UTG on A9s

#8 I'm dealt A9h in the CO. MP limps (UTG from Hand 7), I limp, SB calls. Four to the flop.
I'd play this way and put MP on 99 or PP10

#9 I'm dealt KTh in MP. EP limps, I limp, button limps, SB calls. Five to the flop.
I would not fold to 1 bet here -call for sure
I'd put SB on AQ

Tyler Durden
03-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Hand Three - I would 3-bet pre-flop 90% of the time. But, since the game was superloose, that may not have kept it a heads-up affair. Ya know?

Hand Four - Chances are good you have the best hand on the flop. I'd bet here. If he just calls and the turn is a brick, you can probably scoop with a turn bet.

cosmo kramer
03-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Hand 1-Played well
Hand 2-I might try to check-raise the turn. any pocket pair over a 3 will probably call since they won't believe you have an 8.
Hand 3-Reraise preflop to get rid of as many overcards as you can and try to get it heads up. Rest of your play was okay.
Hand 4-I would lead or check raise the flop. Are you calling to catch trips? Are you planning to call down? If you are going to play the hand, you have to get hands such as KQ or AQ to fold. Since you called, I would checkraise the turn. The six looks like a blank, so he will bet and will call down if he has a hand.

Hand 5-Played well.

Hand 6-I like the way you played it. You are either way ahead or way behind. If he checks behind on turn, bet the river.
Hand 7-Played well.

Hand 8-I check behind on the river. Your kicker is not that strong, unless you know this player will call with a lot of second best hands.

Hand 9-Why raise the flop? You are drawing and would like the extra money if you hit. You will not lose anyone with diamonds, so you have even fewer outs and would like all the bets you can get. I like your fold.

Hand 10-Played well

Hand 11-Played well

Hand 12-Doesn't make sense. You are on the button but acting first.

Hand 13-I would 3 bet the flop. Someone with a Q would probably wait to turn, so I think your hand is best. Your 3 bet might get a club draw to fold because of the paired board.

Cosmo

PokerPrince
03-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Doesn't really sound too loose. Passive I'll give ya though.

1. Fold Preflop.
2. Fold Preflop.
3. Fold Preflop against a legitimate raiser and 3-bet a looser raiser.
4. Fold Preflop.
5. Fine
6. Bet the whole way.
7. Fine
8. If he's weak, isolate with a raise. If he's got higher limping standards, fold.
9. Fine.
10. Fine.
11. Fine.
12. Fine.
13. 3-bet the flop, make draws pay.

PokerPrince

Homer
03-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Here are my thoughts...

I think my preflop play in Hand 3, turn/river play in Hand 6, turn play in Hand 7, preflop play in Hand 8, turn play in Hand 12, and flop/turn play in Hand 13 are the most interesting decisions.

Hand 1 - The preflop limp with 66 from UTG+1 was alright in this game since it was playing fairly loose and passive (I realize in many of these posts the game doesn't seem that way, but it was for the most part). My limp was likely to start a limpfest. On the flop after BB coldcalled and SB reraised, I was nearly certain that I was behind to a 4. This makes folding correct, since I didn't have odds to draw to two outs.

Hand 2 - I think calling preflop with a suited two-gapper from the SB (sorry, it was SB, not BB) getting 5:1 is routine. I felt that postflop I would make more money by playing straight-forward than by using deception. I thought there was a good chance I would be raised on the turn by a 3 or a PP, since no one would put me on quads. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Hand 3 - I coldcalled due to the poster. I felt that by coldcalling I would get 5-6 way action for two bets and could play the hand for its set potential. Without the coldcaller I would have reraised, but with the coldcaller I felt that reraising would not get the hand heads-up (might be 3 or 4-way). I had an easy bet on the river.

Hand 4 - Again, I felt that this limp was alright since limping tended to cause more limping. Maybe since I was getting run over by the deck, players were avoiding playing in hands I was in? I was not calling on the flop looking for a set. I was fairly certain I was ahead against overcards. I intended to lead out on the turn regardless of what card came. When the 6 came, I still felt that betting was best. If my opponent had an overpair he would probably raise, allowing me to three-bet, and if he had overcards he would call a single bet. If I checked, he might check it through with overcards. On a sidenote, I never know what the correct course of action is when I have a pair on the flop and I suspect my opponent is on overcards. Should I bet out on the flop, check-call the flop and bet the turn, check-raise the flop, or check-call the flop and check-raise the turn?

Hand 5 - This is routine. Don't ask me why I posted it.

Hand 6 - I wanted to get to showdown as cheaply as possible after the turn card came. If I bet the turn and was raised, I would call with the intention of check-calling the river. I felt that it was preferable to simply check-call, check-call. This is certainly debatable, however.

Hand 7 - I think I should have bet the turn against this particular opponent. This is because I intended to call a bet with nut-no-ace on the river, so I should have just bet the turn myself and checked it down on the river unless I improved. There was no chance of a check-raise on the turn, so betting is clearly preferable, given that I intended to call a bet on the river anyway.

Hand 8 - I would have raised to isolate the weak limper if I thought it had a chance to work. Frankly, I expected the SB and BB to both call if I raised. Then again, it would still be likely that I had the best hand, even if SB and BB called, so raising could be for value as well as to isolate. Postflop is routine.

Hand 9 - Both calling and raising could be argued for on the flop. On the turn, I am getting 7.5:1 to call. I am almost certainly behind and at most have 7 outs to improve (6.8:1 or so). This seems to indicate that I should call, but it assumes that I am not drawing dead to either SB or button (yet to act). I think this is a really, really, super easy fold.

Hand 10 - Okay JTG, you're right...I just wanted to post this hand because it felt good. I should have written "For Entertainment Value Only".

Hand 11 - See Hand 5.

Hand 12 - I screwed this description up (that's why you shouldn't post at 2 AM). I actually raised from the SB after a single MP limper. BB folded and MP called. I think I made a horrible decision to check the turn here.

Hand 13 - On the flop, I almost folded. I almost reraised. Then, I coldcalled...uggh, have I learned nothing? That was a weak play. You could also argue that I have a fold on the turn, but by that point the pot was large enough that I felt calling down was correct.

-- Homer

bad beetz
03-29-2003, 07:50 PM
hand three, looks like he has a nine, I think you can bet the river here.

Homer
03-29-2003, 07:52 PM
True dat...I mentioned this in my "Thoughts" post (which you probably haven't read because I just posted it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif).

-- Homer

rharless
03-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Hand 2 - I think calling preflop with a suited two-gapper from the SB (sorry, it was SB, not BB) getting 5:1 is routine.

Is it really routine? If so, I have been playing the SB way too tight online. The way I look at it, I have a very small chance of the flop hitting me hard with a made hand (i.e. at least a pair that I feel is the best pair). Other than that I will be lucky to flop a draw of some sort, and have to pay for a draw with only two other possible players to fund my odds. It's 5-1 odds preflop, but the potential ending pot size is rather small.

Of course, if I could learn to improve to quads on a regular basis, with two callers the whole way, then I might play it more often /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

What am I missing? This is a serious question, as I typically only make these SB decisions when I leave the state of Colorado. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PokerPrince
03-29-2003, 09:43 PM
It's a fold. Weak position that doesn't close the betting with suited 2-gap garbage. Put another player in the mix and I say go for it.

PokerPrince

JTG51
03-30-2003, 12:36 AM
I have a feeling you were thinking about inducing a bluff on the river there. I think you probably make that play more than I do. I use it a lot more online than at the casino (if you remember, you asked me something about that when we were playing together). The games at Foxwoods are usually just too passive.

elysium
03-30-2003, 01:55 AM
hi holm,
o.k., hand 1; homer you can't come in with 66 from UTG. i know, a pre-argument for limping in with 77 UTG reached limbo status. but never start thinking such non-sense yourself. 66, the very idea! let me look. yea, there it is. and it's not an hallucination either homer. you yourself argue very strongly on the flop for never playing such nonsense hands from UTG ever again.

hand 2; right now i can't figure out whether you had to pay for this miserable holding or not. if i say anything not extremely negative about your entry into this hand, you will start calling raises and reraises with the dang thing. 85s homer? what? you want me to congradulate you for not checking it down? (lol) i can't. then you'll start raising and reraising it from every position and under every conceivable circumstance.

hand 3; positively hysterical homer. for crying out loud you cold-called (lol).....i guess you sensed a seven in the midst (lol). well, i don't know.

the whole point is homer, you've been playing long enough to know better.

hand 5 looks o.k., and i was about to make some reccomended starting cards for entry, but look at hand 6

homer, you have shell shock. it gets heavy duty out there. i can apply a stop-gap to stop some of the heamorraging, but if you rip off all bandages again and fail to bet when you should and then bet when you shouldn't, you'll never have the kind of bank-roll you cannot make right now without rehabilitation.

then you won't listen either. at least your not a maniac. if only i could get you to come in with AA, KK, QQ and AKs along with AQs; i don't want to give you the AQs because i don't think you won't go out there and get yourself kiiled with the dang thing. but AQs and i might as well AJs. stay away from KQs for now. don't go UTGing with the AJs. no UTG positions with it, neither 1, 2, or 3. i'll let you play all pairs exept for 10,10 and JJ. stay away from those. and when playing a pair, you must flop a set.

when you finally get one of these holdings, i want you to bet strongly on the turn or river, even when you think you're beat. you may go for two hour long stretches without playing. if it gets real bad on the turn when you do play, then get out. you must tighten up to this level pre-flop. from the button, play KQs. muck JTs homer. and you will pay attention to the other players at the table when out of the hand. you'll get bored beyond believe. do not play to relieve your bordom. get a stupid head set and for crying out loud homer, get some stupid hold em tapes listening as you play. take a note pad with you. im sure hfap is on tape or cd somewhere. listen as you play. this is your only hope homer. i'll be around. but, i don't want to see posts like these from you ever again. if you want to learn and play at the same time, those are the only cards you're allowed to play.

and you must flop a set with the pairs. do not play 10,10 until further notice. i'll let you play the JJ. AA, KK, QQ, play twice as strong as you are currently playing. tapes, cd's, fight the bordom homer, you can do it.

PokerPrince
03-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Have you been inhaling liquid paper again?

PokerPrince

MHoydilla
03-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Whats the reason for your constant rambling and lact of fluid sentences in your post? Is english not your first language or do you only post when your drunk or high? Honestly I think I speak for most of the board when I ask these ?'s. You may be a good holdem player but I wouldnt know because I can't understand you.

Homer
03-30-2003, 12:40 PM
o.k., hand 1; homer you can't come in with 66 from UTG. i know, a pre-argument for limping in with 77 UTG reached limbo status. but never start thinking such non-sense yourself. 66, the very idea! let me look. yea, there it is. and it's not an hallucination either homer. you yourself argue very strongly on the flop for never playing such nonsense hands from UTG ever again."

In what way do I argue for never playing such nonsense hands from UTG again? I never mentioned such a thing.

hand 2; right now i can't figure out whether you had to pay for this miserable holding or not. if i say anything not extremely negative about your entry into this hand, you will start calling raises and reraises with the dang thing. 85s homer? what? you want me to congradulate you for not checking it down? (lol) i can't. then you'll start raising and reraising it from every position and under every conceivable circumstance."

I did have to pay for this miserable holding; to be exact, I had to pay one-half of a small bet. Too late, I've already started calling three-cold with this hand. After all, it is soooted.

hand 3; positively hysterical homer. for crying out loud you cold-called (lol).....i guess you sensed a seven in the midst (lol). well, i don't know.

Please read the post next time (lol). I coldcalled PREflop, not on the flop.

then you won't listen either. at least your not a maniac. if only i could get you to come in with AA, KK, QQ and AKs along with AQs; i don't want to give you the AQs because i don't think you won't go out there and get yourself kiiled with the dang thing. but AQs and i might as well AJs. stay away from KQs for now. don't go UTGing with the AJs. no UTG positions with it, neither 1, 2, or 3. i'll let you play all pairs exept for 10,10 and JJ. stay away from those. and when playing a pair, you must flop a set.

when you finally get one of these holdings, i want you to bet strongly on the turn or river, even when you think you're beat. you may go for two hour long stretches without playing. if it gets real bad on the turn when you do play, then get out. you must tighten up to this level pre-flop. from the button, play KQs. muck JTs homer. and you will pay attention to the other players at the table when out of the hand. you'll get bored beyond believe. do not play to relieve your bordom. get a stupid head set and for crying out loud homer, get some stupid hold em tapes listening as you play. take a note pad with you. im sure hfap is on tape or cd somewhere. listen as you play. this is your only hope homer. i'll be around. but, i don't want to see posts like these from you ever again. if you want to learn and play at the same time, those are the only cards you're allowed to play.

and you must flop a set with the pairs. do not play 10,10 until further notice. i'll let you play the JJ. AA, KK, QQ, play twice as strong as you are currently playing. tapes, cd's, fight the bordom homer, you can do it. "

Okay, I guess you got distracted/bored by the time you reached Hand 5. Let me make sure I have this correct:

-- You are allowing me to play AQs, but I'm not giving up much by not playing it.
-- I can play AJs, but not UTG.
-- I can play 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, QQ, KK, and AA, but not TT or JJ (hmm, I thought you said before that 66 UTG was no good!).
-- I should bet even when I think I am beat.
-- I can play KQs, but only from the button.
-- I can never play JTs (does this mean I also can't play QJs, QTs, KJs, KTs?)
-- I should pay attention to the other players while out of a hand, but listen to headphones as well (this will be tough but I think I can handle it!)
-- I must flop a set or get out with ALL pairs
-- Oh cool, I can play JJ now!

Thanks elysium, I knew I had some leaks in my game, but I was blinded to the magnitude of my horrendous play. For now on I'm only going to play the hands you recommend.

Take care and best of luck to you.

-- Homer

Robk
03-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Hand 1
Sorry Homer, but Elysium's got a point on this one. Your 66 should be in the muck here. Just looking at the game texture from the hands you posted, the conditions aren't right. This is a losing play if the game isn't perfect, and it doesn't seem that it is. The rest of the hand is a judgement call. I can hear astroglide laugh everytime I muck a winner for one flop bet online...

Hand 3
Reraise preflop, or muck. Easy value bet on the river.

Hand 4
Hmm, those small pair limps still don't appear to be working out well for you. I checkraise the flop here just about every time.

Hand 5
Depending on the player, you may have wanted to wait to raise. Didn't we just talk about this? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Hand 6
I would check this flop. (Sorry my comments are getting shorter as we go. If you really care, you can ask me why I would do any of these things.)

Hand 8
I didn't read the results, but if you won Hand 7 I would raise preflop. If you lost I would fold. I would normally fold this hand here. Postflop, I think you played well.

Hand 9
Maybe you play in loose passive heaven, but I fold this preflop. I would also fold on the flop.

Hand 10
You are probably sick of me telling you to fold preflop, huh? Do it here for sure. On the flop a raise is beautiful because the diamonds will cause your opponents to completely misread your hand. I wouldn't be able to resist.

Hand 12, the action is a bit confused.

Hand 13
I would 3 bet on the flop. I would fold on the turn.

Edit: Goofed this one. I failed to realize how many bets were in the pot. I would still 3 bet, but in the face of any more aggression I would call down.

marbles
03-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Hand 1: Flop betting sequence seems a little odd. Anyway, against most opponents, I'd fold here. Your play is reasonable, though.

Hand 2: Comedy. Too bad an overcard couldn't come to give you a little river action.

Hand 3: Unless UTG is a super-tight raiser preflop, this is an automatic 3-bet. Rest of the hand looks routine. Would you have called a river bet?

Hand 4: Forgive me for getting cute, but I'd checkraise the turn. Rest looks fine.

Hand 5: Routine.

Hand 6: Will just call this preflop about 50%. Rest looks standard.

Hand 7: Looks fine. Which of you sucked out on the river?

Hand 8: Call me Mr. Sissypants, but I check that river most of the time. Looks like a coinflop between him having a better ace or a worse one.

Hand 9: Really don't like the flop raise. Good fold on the turn, though.

Hand 10: Routine.

Hand 11: Routine.

Hand 12: Action is confusing. Do you have the button or not?

Hand 13: 3-bet the flop. Make everyone announce their holdings immediately.

Homer
03-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. Just two comments in response to your Hand 1 response:

Hand 1
Sorry Homer, but Elysium's got a point on this one. Your 66 should be in the muck here. Just looking at the game texture from the hands you posted, the conditions aren't right. This is a losing play if the game isn't perfect, and it doesn't seem that it is. The rest of the hand is a judgement call. I can hear astroglide laugh everytime I muck a winner for one flop bet online...

1) Elysium has never had a point about anything.
2) I don't know who astroglide is, so I don't really care if he is laughing at me. I am nearly certain the fold was correct. Do you think it wasn't?

-- Homer

Robk
03-31-2003, 01:33 AM
1) Elysium has never had a point about anything.

Well I can't really argue with that. Regardless, these small pair (and other weak) limps can kill
your win rate if the game isn't right.

2) I don't know who astroglide is, so I don't really care if he is laughing at me. I am nearly
certain the fold was correct. Do you think it wasn't?

astroglide is an excellent mid-high stakes poster. I'm surprised you've never heard of him as
he is probably pushing 1000 posts by now. I guess he posts in spurts. Anyway he argues
quite convincingly that you need to make seemingly poor calldowns online, because the chance
your opponent is making an irrational, complete bluff in spots like this is high enough to warrant
it. Of course you've got to know your players... the hands I'd seen this guy play would judge
whether or not I'd call down. You want to know if it's "correct"? Well, translating this into "Is
folding my default play?", my answer is yes, you made a good fold.

Homer
03-31-2003, 09:12 AM
Okay, gotcha. I should probably start to read the Mid-High forum a little more often.

-- Homer