PDA

View Full Version : Still learning preflop plays....

ArturiusX
08-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls

Villian is quite agro, (50/20), yay or nay? And why?

disjunction
08-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I hate this situation, and if I'm not in the mood I'd fold, but if I played I think I'd reraise and add the BB's money to the pot.

BugsBunny
08-15-2005, 11:05 PM
If this was unsuited you'd have any easy fold. But because it's suited it makes things a bit more difficult.

Opp here is quite loose, but his aggression isn't that high. His pfr numbers are only slightly on the high side (although I suspect for 3/6 a 20% number is very high compared to the average player).

One thing I'd want to know is where his aggression numbers come from. Does he try to blind steal a lot or are is his blind steal number also about 20? If his blind steal number is significantly higher that means he plays position in his raises and you should give more credence to this particular raise, since he's not in a steal position. Another consideration is the number of hands that you're basing this on.

If I choose to play this (and I might, although it's close) I would tend to semi-cold-call and try to bring BB along. I want to jack the pot in case I hit. I want all the implied odds I can get. If there was a cold-caller in front of me I'd be much more inclined to play (better implied odds).

The hand is weak and speculative. You're out of position for the rest of the hand (even more so if you 3 bet). Nothing wrong with folding this and waiting for a better spot.

dhaimon
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Nay, this isn't a steal, he will VERY often have you dominated. And the fact that your hand is suited doesn't help greatly HU.

I fold this pretty much every time.

ArturiusX
08-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Thought so. This guy isnt a good poker player, but he knows about blind stealing. I guess its ok to give up your blinds. Does the decision change if I'm in the BB though? What if he's on the button?

RunDownHouse
08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I fold from the SB, and call/c/r just about any flop. The flop plan can change depending on how he plays postflop and what the flop is.

Guy McSucker
08-16-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess its ok to give up your blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's especially true of the $1 small blind in the $3/6 game because a great deal of the time that dollar becomes the rake, so you've actually got nothing to defend.

Guy.

stripsqueez
08-16-2005, 07:02 AM
calling is a shocker

there are 2 reasons to invest money from this spot

the first one is that you think you have the best hand - you have little reason to think that this is the best hand even if the raiser was more aggro

the second reason is because you think you can win without getting to a showdown - your out of position and by calling your inviting the BB to call too - out of position multiway is not the place to win hands without a showdown

never think about protecting your SB - think about the better pre-flop odds your getting by playing pre-flop from the blinds but mostly remember all those hands where it felt like you had no clue what was happening and didnt know what to do and recognise that those times happen the most when your first to act

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

BugsBunny
08-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Just a note that when I posted this reply I completely forgot about the blind structure at 3/6. That makes this an easy fold out of the SB.

RunDownHouse
08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Here's one I had this morning that I just froze and had no clue what to do. Everyone is an idiot, although UTG has been raising a good bit the past couple orbits. The blinds are loose, although they'll likely fold the real cheese if faced with a 3bet.

3/6 Party, 6 handed

Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Preflop: <font color="red">UTG raises,</font> MP calls, CO folds, Hero...

I really had no idea if I should CC, 3bet, or fold. I don't particularly want it 3way, but CC'ing gives me the willies and is something I almost never do, and JTs seems like too much to fold if its going to be 4 or 5 to the flop.

oreogod
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's one I had this morning that I just froze and had no clue what to do. Everyone is an idiot, although UTG has been raising a good bit the past couple orbits. The blinds are loose, although they'll likely fold the real cheese if faced with a 3bet.

3/6 Party, 6 handed

Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Preflop: <font color="red">UTG raises,</font> MP calls, CO folds, Hero...

I really had no idea if I should CC, 3bet, or fold. I don't particularly want it 3way, but CC'ing gives me the willies and is something I almost never do, and JTs seems like too much to fold if its going to be 4 or 5 to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats tough. I either fold or CC. If everyone plays retarded and CC up the ass...I think you can CC here. I dont think a 3-bet is to hot, it has qualities, but not enough IMO.

stripsqueez
08-16-2005, 09:14 AM
i play a couple of short deck games (in particular manila) where every straight has a J and a 10 in it so J10 becomes a special hand - in full deck games J10 is the lowest combination of honour cards - AKA the rank challenged good cards - i have issues with J10 too

i like to fold it but i'm confident it wouldnt be hard to profitably cold call

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
With the blind structure at 3/6 I try to go for a raise or fold policy out of the SB against a single PFR. I think I read somewhere that your three betting standards in this situation should be roughly the same as on the button against a CO raise (presumably because because being OOP negates the advantage of alrdeady having money invested in the pot). If your playing raise or fold, then it basically boils down to whether you think you have a better hand than the PFR, or whether you have a good enough read to think you can knowck him off a better hand than yours. If the answer to these questions is no, then let it go. If yes, three bet - although in this case, barring a specfic read, I think you have an easy fold.

I don't know how many others play this way, but i've found it to work okay. The good thing is that assuming the BB is not overly given to cold calling, you get it heads up. And i would much rather play heads up OOP than 3 way.

SteveGriff
08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
I personally don't like the call, you're out of position with a difficult hand to play with. If an ace flops you don't know whatever you like it or not. The only flop you would like is your flush draw...

Steve Griff