PDA

View Full Version : ill show you marginal..

mike l.
03-28-2003, 10:09 PM
this one came up last week. pretty funny.

i have 32s in the cutoff and everyone limps to me. i call and the button calls and the blinds are in so it's family pot 9 handed.

the flop is K32 rainbow. oh goody. checked to me and i bet, button folds and 5, count em, 5 people call.

the turn is another K putting two diamonds up there. checked to me and i bet. 4 people call and a lady throws 77 face up in the muck in disgust.

the river is another 2. checked to me and i bet. 3 people call. my hand is good.

neat eh?

Ulysses
03-28-2003, 10:49 PM
What I like most about this hand is your river bet. It seems pretty clear after the flop that nobody has a King. Any doubt is removed on the turn. Possible hands out there that beat you on the turn include things like A3, 44, etc.

Here's where I see many people screw up. The river is the perfect card for you. There's absolutely no reason to think anybody has a King. Yet many players, irrationally fearing a checkraise here, will check as well and happily scoop their pot, feeling very relieved. But hands that will usually pay you include all pocket pairs, 3s, and Aces.

Here's a question, though, mike. If checked to you on the river, do you bet anything besides a 2 or 3? Say, a Jack, Queen, or Ten?

mike l.
03-28-2003, 11:00 PM
"If checked to you on the river, do you bet anything besides a 2 or 3? Say, a Jack, Queen, or Ten?"

the chances one of those cards is in a callers hand: in their backdoor diamond draw or there A high hand (AQ, AJ, or AT would be overlimp hands preflop for some of these freaks). so no i dont bet those. i give up pretty much any cards but the 3 or 2, i even check if the last K comes. i genuinely (naively?) thought my turn bet would clear out most of the field, but when that didnt happen i just waited for the inevitable loss that would come better than 1 out of 12 times or whatever. yeah im pretty sure someone had A3, or Q3 for that matter, in retrospect and at least one 55 or 88 or something was probably out there.

on second thought though i will joyfully defer to anything elysium has to say on the matter.

D.J.
03-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Mike,
Only you can make 2-3 work for you, I don't know how you do it. By the way I miss these random hand posts, you're not going ABC on me are you?

-D.J.

mike l.
03-28-2003, 11:16 PM
"you're not going ABC on me are you?"

going? dude im already gone. im like straight-edge now man. i look at T7o and i dont even think about 3 betting anymore.

im moving to oceanside soon. we're buying a house near there. im gonna be a low limit superstar again. i cant afford to risk the ol' house payment at the 20-40. ill be playing 8-16 and (*gasp*) 4-8. tighty mcwhitey. look for me over at the small stakes forum agonizing over whether or not to 3 bet from the bb w/ QQ.

Ulysses
03-28-2003, 11:23 PM
look for me over at the small stakes forum agonizing over whether or not to 3 bet from the bb w/ QQ.

Well, just in the nick of time for you, elysium just posted (thread - $3 drop / how low will you go?) some guidelines for what you can play UTG. I'm sure that will be enough to get you off to a good start at the low-limits.

Congrats on the house and move, mike. Unless you get bored w/ the game playing at low limits, I'm confident we'll see you posting hands back here soon enough! Well, unless you start spending all your winnings at Home Depot. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

D.J.
03-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Oceanside huh, that's cool, I live in Corona, maybe we can meet up at Pechanga and play a little.

-D.J.

mikelow
03-28-2003, 11:47 PM
The lady's fold with 77 was awful. A king is unlikely--I think she is closer to a raise than a fold.