PDA

View Full Version : Learning limit part III - Do I finally get this std concept ?

punter11235
08-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello !

Here is my application of waiting to the turn to protect my hand. Correct ? Or I still dont grasp it. (I bet scare card anyway but I think its pretty obvious here).
Was it better to bet at once on the flop ?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 4.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins 4.20 BB. </font>

shant
08-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Bet the flop.

clownshoes
08-15-2005, 08:07 PM
No, this is wrong. Not betting the flop is very bad.

Nick C
08-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I think you should bet the flop for value. Also, you don't want to give your oppnents infinite odds to draw out on you, which is what happened when the flop got checked through.

On the turn, your opponents probably figured you just caught your king, but I think you had them beat anyway.

HolyBejeesus
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting for the turn to raise is for big pots where villains will have odds to draw to gutshots and overcards on the turn if you raise the flop.

weevil
[ QUOTE ]
Hello !

Here is my application of waiting to the turn to protect my hand. Correct ? Or I still dont grasp it. (I bet scare card anyway but I think its pretty obvious here).
Was it better to bet at once on the flop ?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 4.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins 4.20 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 12 overcards that can kill your hand, why let them hit for free. Bet for value and to protect your hand.

skidog222
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
You HAVE to bet this flop. You CANNOT give a free card, none the less miss the value bet, which might give you some callers, especially for the sb.

mtdoak
08-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Eh, if you are only 3 handed after the flop, I think its safe to bet here, for value. IMHO giving any free card to a high /images/graemlins/heart.gif is a disaster here. Waiting to the turn usually applies to a situation like flopping bottom two pair against a big field and a draw heavy board. Also consider the fact that you hold two stopper cards for the straight draw.

punter11235
08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Heh, thank you. So pot should be much bigger for this ? Or its only apply to calling and checking with the idea to to bet the turn is never good idea ?
Thanks for help.
(Btw if you ever wondered who are this clueless donks at 5/10 limit game they are nolimit players who give limit a shot from time to time /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Best wishes

hobbsmann
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
like everybody else has said, not betting this flop is horrible. It seems that a lot of new players get tied up in trying learn new concepts and tend to over apply them in situations where simply, ABC poker will show the largest profits. In this situation you are losing SO much value by checking the flop that the value you gain by waiting and betting the bigger street doesn't come close to making up for it.

punter11235
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for answers /images/graemlins/smile.gif This forum is great to get your major leaks fixed.

HolyBejeesus
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, thank you. So pot should be much bigger for this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Your hand is already protected in the sense that the BB and CO cannot peel profitably since the pot is small. In a very large pot (like capped 4 ways preflop), sometimes it is better to face the field with 2 large turn bets to fold out weak draws. However, this concept isn't particularly important because you can be a big winner at Party 5/10 without it.

[ QUOTE ]
(Btw if you ever wondered who are this clueless donks at 5/10 limit game they are nolimit players who give limit a shot from time to time /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.