PDA

View Full Version : Pocket JJ's against an unknown.

hemstock
08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
I have about 10 hands on each UTG+1 and MP2 so they are considered unknowns.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB

First thing, I'm not sure about the preflop cap. I have 2 players raising before me. Am I calling or capping?

The rest of the hand. His 3-bet makes me thing a higher pocket pair. But I really don't know if I should believe him or not. A couple of hours ago, it was the same exactly situation, but on the players notes I had "Raises preflop ONLY with aces". So that was an easy fold. What am I supposed to do here? By now I think I should know how exactly to act here but I still don't.

Shillx
08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
There are a lot of games where I would just throw this hand away preflop. I have no idea if .25/.50 is one of those games. I would just fold preflop though.

The way it played out, I would fold the turn altough I don't really understand the flop raise.

Brad

08-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Preflop: I probably call, but can see capping, particularly to set up your post-flop raise on a good flop. I'm guessing the difference between calling and capping here PF is marginal.

Post-flop: Yes, this is difficult for me, too. What to do against an unknown. I probably would have played it exactly as you did (though I might have taken a shot at capping on the flop to try to get rid of MP2). I tend to give opponents credit for being somewhat rational until proven otherwise (maybe a mistake in micro limits). My thinking is that if they're unreasonable I can make it back later, but if they're reasonable I can lose it now.

bozlax
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Yikes. Nice table selection.

I think the preflop cap is the only way to play...you're either raising or folding.

Once UTG+1 3-bets the flop and MP2 isn't budging, I bail out against unknowns and hope they show down against each other. Actually, I call the 3-bet and check-fold the turn UI.

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
When UTG leads into you after you COLD CAPPED on the button, call (I don't hate a fold, either). Fold the turn when you don't turn the case J. You honestly might want to consider folding JJ facing three cold in the future. You must understand, while JJ is a good hand, it is not very good at all against the range of most normal three bettors.

Fantam
08-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Any advice you get from Shillx is good! That guy really knows how to play this game!

This is straight from Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Co.

"If you hold JJ and the pot has been raised and reraised before the action gets to you, you should fold. This is correct even when you are in a middle or late position."

I think the reasoning is that you are most likely going to be behind to a higher pocket pair.

Anyway dont take my advice. Listen to Shillx and Sklansky! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Webster
08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I would have only called the preflop - I don't think JJ is good enough for capping - ALTHOUGH - .25/.50 is amazing loose.

I like the raise on the flop . .sort of - not that I would have done it - it will tell you what your against sometimes (stress sometimes) and maybe get a free card - but do you WANT a free card???. The PROBLEM is you have to be thinking BEFORE you raise - what happens if he comes back at you.

ME? I fold. Look at it this way.

You have a paired board and a guy that is REALLY pushing AND you have a flush threat. All you have is a lowish top pair.

Sure - a 9 can hit and you have a boat . . .but is it top boat? Will a guy with AK back down with 8999?

Then the 8 hits - YUCK. This hand just keeps getting uglier.

Yea- .25/.50 has a lot of bluffers but has he proven he bluffs? I tend to believe people when that are aggressive and NORMALLY they have every right to be.

Sure,it could be a bluff but MOST of the time it's not and you are sitting there drawing dead and will look like a calling station when he turns over REAL cards.

When I was at that level my one (of many) leaks was thinking everybody was bluffing. Unless you KNOW him to bluff. Take it seriously. In the long run it'll work out to +EV.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have only called the preflop - I don't think JJ is good enough for capping - ALTHOUGH - .25/.50 is amazing loose.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't feel that you have the best hand here, you shouldn't even call. Do you see why?