PDA

View Full Version : Getting Better

lhutz
03-28-2003, 06:57 PM
I would love some advice from the forum about improving in this game.

I began playing hold em about a year ago and have recently begun playing semi-regularly. I just can't seem to win and feel as if I am stuck in a rut and not improving.

I bought (and thought I had assimilated) Lee Jones' book and read the forums here but still feel as if I am not playing at the level I would like.

I have particular problems with the players in these low limit games who call on anything and everything (ie seeing a raise pre-flop with 58 os and eventually getting a runner runner straigh against KK)

Any suggestions on how players here have developed in their games would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Kevin

haakee
03-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Here are some things I have done. I still have a lot to learn, but definitely don't feel like I'm stagnating.

(1) Post hands -- this is a huge help. Also read a bunch of the threads on 2+2. There's a lot to be gained there.

(2) Read, re-read, and re-read (ad infinitum) HEPFAP with the caveat that tricky plays will not achieve the desired effect against terrible opposition.

(3) Read Abdul Jalib's stuff at www.posev.com. (http://www.posev.com.)

(4) Find some local 2+2'ers and talk strategy with them.

(5) Find a low stakes home game with fairly solid opposition to get accustomed to playing against better opponents.

(6) Buy Turbo TX hold 'em with some of your winnings.

cferejohn
03-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Welcome the the forum lhutz, or tmcclure /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Lets see, your question is awfly general, so my response will be too:

1. Buy and read Texas Hold'em for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth. Generally, the more you read, and the more point of views you see, the better off you will be, and in my opinion (and in most peoples opinions, I think), that book is the best (though the Jones book is also quite good).

2. Remember some hands and post them here. I don't do this enough, but the advice I've gotten when I did has been absolutely invaluable. Every time one of my hands has started a discussion, I feel like I've taken another step forward.

3. In the sort of game you describe (and beleive me, there are plenty of them in NoCal, if that's not where you are), you need to be insanely patient. These games can be really really frustrating. I went through a period where I won about 3 hands in about 7 hours of play (in 3 sessions) at 3-6 and 6-12. Since I was folding alot, I wasn't losing that quickly, but it still drained about $400 out of me while I watched mr pre-flop raise w/ 8Ts walk off with $200. Given the size of these pots, when you do hit a few hands (and you will) you'll make that up in no time (I played 6-12 for about an hour before a tournament last week at made $250 in about 50 minutes).