PDA

View Full Version : Tempupedic beds

djack
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm looking to buy a tempurpedic bed. From the official website, I can get a double shipped for $1758. I imagine it's possible to find cheaper, though I've heard that Tempurpedic tries to enforce minimum prices. Is there a good place to buy these on the internet or do I have to go out and try to price them locally?

Are there any brands that are the same thing but cheaper? It strikes me as possible that maybe I'm just paying for the brand name.

irishpint
08-15-2005, 05:10 PM
you can call and get free samples sent to you. they are like 3 inches by 2 inches by an inch. small, but with enough of them you'll have a very cheap bed that is very nice to sleep on.

i am trying to make a pillow. i have 4 samples thus far.

Slacker13
08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Someone bought a mattress at http://www.mattress.com/ and was real happy. I bought mine locally, one of the best purchases I ever made, only problem is now I don't like getting out of bed because it is so damn comfortable.

djack
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can call and get free samples sent to you. they are like 3 inches by 2 inches by an inch. small, but with enough of them you'll have a very cheap bed that is very nice to sleep on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not that cheap. i just want to get a good price on the mattress.

bernie
I just bought a new bed. I got Novafoam instead of tempurpedic. It cost me 1/4 of what Temp costs. Costco has great prices on it.

'Linens and things' sometimes has the mattress out so you can lie on it.

b

TStoneMBD
is there much of a difference between temperpedic and memoryfoam? memoryfoam is much cheaper and i have 2 queen sized mattresses laid on top of each other for extra comfort and together it only costed $360. they are amazing. ive never laid on temperpedic before so i really dont know how it compares.

RollaJ
There are cheaper versions, but I cant say how good they are. I have a real one and love it (2 years now), and GrannyMae also has one, and seems to like it too.

That being said..... I got a great deal on a king size. I called Dial-a-mattress and asked for their best price (shipping and tax included), then I called 800-mattres and told them what I was quoted and asked if they could beat it... they did, I then called back D-A-M and they in turn beat that price.... I then called back 800-M and they said the couldnt beat it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. So I got the King Size 10inch for less than the 1700 you are quoting..... incl tax and delivery

Talk2BigSteve
08-15-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to buy a tempurpedic bed. From the official website, I can get a double shipped for $1758. I imagine it's possible to find cheaper, though I've heard that Tempurpedic tries to enforce minimum prices. Is there a good place to buy these on the internet or do I have to go out and try to price them locally?

Are there any brands that are the same thing but cheaper? It strikes me as possible that maybe I'm just paying for the brand name.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Granny Mae purchased one and loves it, you should PM "her" and see what she has to say.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

djack
08-15-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there much of a difference between temperpedic and memoryfoam?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i was hoping someone would know.

Jman28
08-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I've been told that these beds retain a lot of your body heat, so then you get really warm. Any truth to that?

DrPublo
08-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I heard the memory foam gets very hot at night, almost uncomfortable warm, because the foam doesn't dissapate body heat well. Is this true?

The Doc

DrPublo
08-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Ha I totally didn't see your post before posting.

The Doc

bernie
08-15-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard the memory foam gets very hot at night, almost uncomfortable warm, because the foam doesn't dissapate body heat well. Is this true?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard about that too, but haven't experience it myself on my mattress.

b

RollaJ
08-15-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been told that these beds retain a lot of your body heat, so then you get really warm. Any truth to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the summer make sure the room has AC, in the winter never a problem

Justin A
08-15-2005, 06:00 PM
I recently got a queen mattress with two swedish pillows thrown in for about 1640 after taxes and such. This was at the San Diego fair, so it was a special, but they probably have similar deals elsewhere if you do some searching.

As for the quality of the mattress, it's awesome. I'm sleeping much better since I got it and my back feels better. Also, it comes with a 20 year warranty so you can expect to hang onto it for a very long time.

MrMoo
08-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes. It takes some adjusting to. After awhile it's worth it though.

MrMoo
08-15-2005, 06:07 PM
As I understand it, the patent Tempurpedic had recently expired. So now others are able to make the same mattresses without the high prices. I just searchd google briefly and I couldn't find anything to back up my statement. Take it for what it's worth.

I purchased a genuine Tempur-Pedic queen sized mattress about 5 months ago. Definitely a worthwhile purchase in my opinion. However, a local place called Ocean State Job Lot was recently selling the generic versions for less than half. Personally I'm a little disappointed as I'm sure if there is any difference at all, it's not much.

TStoneMBD
08-15-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

no very much not the case in my opinion. i never noticed anything like that. however, i keep my place extremely well air conditioned.

wayabvpar
08-15-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We bought our California King through QVC about 22 months ago- cost (including shipping and delivery) was about $1100. So yes, you are getting raped for a double for $1700.

They do get a bit warm- they are fantastic during the winter, and less so during the summer. Thankfully it only gets too hot to sleep here a few weeks a year at most, so it doesn't bother me much. I would happily sweat a bit for the comfort and durability.

djack
08-15-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, the patent Tempurpedic had recently expired. So now others are able to make the same mattresses without the high prices. I just searchd google briefly and I couldn't find anything to back up my statement. Take it for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I've heard the same thing, but I can't find anything that indicates that on google.

RollaJ
08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We bought our California King through QVC about 22 months ago- cost (including shipping and delivery) was about $1100. So yes, you are getting raped for a double for $1700.

They do get a bit warm- they are fantastic during the winter, and less so during the summer. Thankfully it only gets too hot to sleep here a few weeks a year at most, so it doesn't bother me much. I would happily sweat a bit for the comfort and durability.

[/ QUOTE ]

BioPedic IS NOT Tempurpedic

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IHateKeithSmart
08-15-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had my tempurpedic for about 4 years now, and tend to get hot easily. However, I have no AC (live in Oregon) and the mattress does not seem to get too hot for me even in the summer time.

I was prompted to get the mattress b/c of some back problems, and it has done wonders. Highly recommended. I am sure that the knockoffs are decent as well - they really weren't an option back when I was shopping.

Jeebus
08-15-2005, 07:22 PM
the mattress is worth any price you can pay. I just got the new tempurpedic softer mattress (its called soft touch 2 or something I forget which and there are sheets in the way of checking) and it may well be the end of my entire social life. I prefer to just sit in bed and do whatever I need to do. Most comfortable thing ever. Ever.
Though I do think it retains more heat because I have woken up rather sweaty most days since getting it. That or I have a disease.

wayabvpar
08-15-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BioPedic IS NOT Tempurpedic

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what the brand is? My wife is the one that ordered it...I was under the impression it was Tempurpedic.

BK_
08-15-2005, 09:10 PM
tempurpedic recently lost its patent, so you can get the same exact quality for less price with some other brands. i dont remember the name of mine off the top of my head, but it wont be hard to find. i got mine from sleepy's mattress in ny if that helps.

Thythe
08-15-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha, that is awesome.

scott8
08-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I bought the celebrity king on this site angel beds (angelbeds.com) and think it is the best purchase I have ever made.

Mat Sklansky
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
If you're looking at the tempurpedic, you should definitely check out the intellibed as well. I prefer it, as it allows movement while still eliminating pressure points. It's worth checking out, and they're so confident they actually keep a tempurpedic in the store so you can compare on the spot

djack
08-16-2005, 01:49 AM
is it also memory foam?

i've done more research since my original post, and it does appear that the imitations are just as good as the original, memory foam wise.

Mat Sklansky
08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
It's not foam. It's like a honeycomb gel like material.

http://www.intellibed.com/about.html

djack
08-16-2005, 02:51 AM
i can't find a price on the website. what can i get on these?

Mat Sklansky
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
The prices are really outlandish. I think, for a queen mattress topper it's 800. In my case it was worth it. Two years ago it would not have been. If you have a store near you, it's just wotrth checking out.

jakethebake
08-16-2005, 11:54 AM
there were a couple of pretty good threads on this a few months back so you might try the search function. they might be in archives by now though.

joeski19
08-16-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it also memory foam?

i've done more research since my original post, and it does appear that the imitations are just as good as the original, memory foam wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the memory foam pillows over a year ago. They were great for about 8 months, but now they're all flat, and squished which really sucks.