PDA

View Full Version : favorite blues bands/singers?

JaBlue
08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
What are your favorite blues bands or singers? I like big band back ups and guitar especially.

MrTrik
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Gary Moore
John Mayall
Guitar Pete
Robert Johnsen
Jimi Hendrix (Yes, he did some great blues besides his pshyodelic rock)
Stevie Ray Vaughn ( the king )

New001
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Howlin' Wolf is my favorite by far.

asofel
08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Greg Allman.

cadillac1234
08-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Best Blues Album Name:

Little Milton's, "Your Wife's Been Cheating on Us"

zephed
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Blind Willie McTell
Robert Johnson
Howlin' Wolf
Sleepy John Estes
Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
John Lee Hooker
Son House

I don't know who else.

Led Zeppelin live blues medleys.
Elvis' bluesy rock n roll.

This is a good thread idea. Anything else I should check out?

Any experts here?

STLantny
08-15-2005, 07:31 PM
muddy buddy and tbone
johnny johnson
bb howlin wolf
soulard blues band
couple other local bands round ST. Louis too.

pc in NM
08-15-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your favorite blues bands or singers? I like big band back ups and guitar especially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a few younger guys I like:

Corey Harris
Sean Costello
Keb Mo'

And gals, too:
Susan Tedeschi

Then a few regulars in my player:
Paul Butterfield (Better Days)
Buddy Guy
Junior Wells
Derek and the Dominos
Delbert Mcclinton
Guy Forsyth
Lavelle White
Marcia Ball
Toni Price

touchfaith
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Blind Mellow Jelly

DarkForceRising
08-16-2005, 01:03 AM
John Lee Hooker and it isn't even close. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot Robert Johnson. I guess it is kinda close.

Chicago style and "Big Mama" style Blues sucks.

Wyers
08-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Government Mule.

Mule.net (http://www.mule.net/index.php)

If you love blues/rock guitar, Warren Haynes is about the best going right now.

nothumb
08-16-2005, 02:28 AM
A great band that I've been talking up a lot lately is the Holmes Brothers. My two favorite albums they have done are "Where It's At" and "In the Spirit."

The band consists of three guys who have been touring as R&B/blues/gospel musicians for literally decades. Their live show is just those three pieces - guitar, bass, and drums, with each member singing leads and harmonies as well. Each is a superb musician and a great performer. They are also great guys.

All three grew up down in VA and they are currently based out of New York. Their sound is highly influenced by their gospel background and they still play a lot of gospel tunes. Their vocal style reflects that church singing, but they can still crank out the noise on a good blues number. Basically they are a juggernaut of American blues, gospel and country music.

Their recordings do not do justice to the live show, not anything close. I haven't been overly impressed with some of their albums but their live repertoire is absolutely guaranteed to blow you away.

NT

Jersey Nick
08-16-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
John Lee Hooker and it isn't even close. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot Robert Johnson. I guess it is kinda close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain why it isn't ironic that you think John Lee Hooker rules and that Chicago style blues sucks? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Listening to a lot of Freddie King lately. Albert King's another old fave. Little Walter may be my favorite Chicago blues singer, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf are great too. Muddy's records with Johnny Winter producing are sublime.

Of the pre-war guys, Blind Willie Johnson is the best for me. "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground," and "Nobody's Fault But Mine," great stuff.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was in a class all by himself. Nuff said.

There was a band up here is MA called The Radio Kings broke up a while back but they were fantastic. Brian Templeton sang lead and Mike Dinallo played guitar. They released three records, one recorded live at BB King's in Memphis.

Alvin "Youngblood" Hart, Tab Benoit, Susan Tedeschi and Marcia Ball are very good in the modern class.

Mars357
08-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Robert Cray
Bernard Allison
Shemekia Copeland

rustyboy
08-16-2005, 09:06 AM
My favorite of all time has to be the king ofthe slide guitar, Elmore James. In my last two years of high school, me and about 4 buddies went through our music revival stage, so I have sampled quite a few. His style of "upbeat" blues reminds me of Ray Charles somewhat.

MrTrik
08-16-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And gals, too:
Susan Tedeschi

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to see her on Thursday. I've seen her twice before. She's playing at the Minnesota Zoo Music Series.

asofel
08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And gals, too:
Susan Tedeschi

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to see her on Thursday. I've seen her twice before. She's playing at the Minnesota Zoo Music Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. Fan of Derek Trucks at all?

DarkForceRising
08-16-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain why it isn't ironic that you think John Lee Hooker rules and that Chicago style blues sucks? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His style is simple, guitar based and haunting. The Chicago type I was refering to is the kind with all the horns and hoopla. Too fancy. Just gimme an old man with a guitar on the front porch of some old shack on that old muddy river.

Is Hooker a Chicago guy? If so, his style does not fall into the category of what I understand Chicago style blues to be.

BTW, Keb Mo has a nice, mellow sound.