PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm getting better (lc)

Ghazban
08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
I get AKs and open UTG+1 to 4BB; reasonable non-maniac (probably a winning player, too) on the button makes it 15BB, I fold. When I started, this fold would've been unheard of; a little later, it would've been tough; now its automatic.

EDIT: orignally said reraise was to 10BB, should've been 15BB

08-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow...hmmmm, I'd play that differently. I would probably call his (almost) min raise, then reevaluate on the flop.

--solids

passion
08-15-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow...hmmmm, I'd play that differently. I would probably call his (almost) min raise, then reevaluate on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me to - and if I make TP on the flop (especially an ace) its on.

Passion

Ghazban
08-15-2005, 03:36 PM
I typed it in wrong... see edit

Malachii
08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Me too - and if I make TP on the flop (especially an ace) its on.

Passion

[/ QUOTE ]

Stooopid. Read Theory of Poker, my friend.

EDIT: I realized my post isn't helpful in the least. The reason why this is bad is because of what's known as reverse implied odds. Say your opponent has KK and an A flops. You're not going to win much of anything, are you? If you checkraise or check call, you might pick up a continuation bet, but that's it. Now say your opponent has AA and an A or a K flops... you see the trouble you're in, right?

08-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Hmmm, the edit you've made puts a slightly different paint job on things. I'd need some more information though. What game is this (6 max?), and any stats on villain?

passion
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stooopid. Read Theory of Poker, my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own that book and have read the whole thing numerous times. I raise a lot playing 6-max and am used to getting RR quit a lot by hands that are not normally worthy of a RR. For normal stacks 100BB stacks I call everytime (and occasionally push). If I make a pair of aces or kings (especially aces) I have every reason to expect that I'm ahead. If a guy happens to make AAA while I make TPTK he is going to to stack me and I won't regret it (my play) in the least. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Passion

Edit If I were rockish I would fold to a RR because I would have to think that my opponent respects my raise. Because I'm the opposite of rockish I have to adjust my play to the way oppenents adjust their play in response to me - which means I call most of the time (and push occasionally).

Ghazban
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Full ring; villain's about 18/6 and not an idiot postflop.

erby
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Funny how that edit changes everything... I think this is a good sticky thread for any noob who asks a winning player the question "How do you play XX".

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Malachii
08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
So you're going to call 11 BBs to see if you can flop an ace when you'll most likely either win a small pot or lose a big pot when you do hit? I can't imagine how this could possibly be a +EV scenario.

08-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Your play is looking better and better...Villain is slightly rockish, you are OOP, it's a full ring, etc. It would still be tough for me to fold this though. I guess some other factors that would play into my decision would be AF and stack size. If both are favorable, I would still perhaps just call, then reevaluate.

passion
08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're going to call 11 BBs to see if you can flop an ace when you'll most likely either win a small pot or lose a big pot when you do hit? I can't imagine how this could possibly be a +EV scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no. It was 6bb back to me in the original post - I didn't see the edit. I fold to an 11bb RR. For 6bb I'm in there hunting stacks though.

Passion

08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Ehh, don't listen to me. The more I think, the more I'd fold.

--solids

Malachii
08-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Fair enough /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stu-unger
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
im not sure where any disagreement comes from. NH