PDA

View Full Version : Slowplayed set, like it or love it.

thabadguy
08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
10-25 nl at borg, MP has 5k, button has 5600 or so, i cover.
A little history, ive been lagging it up for about 4 hours, and have been hittin cards all day, and have bluffed a lotta pots, either won them and shown, or very rarely gotten called. I have been called "Action Jackson" by just about every1 on table.
Villain in this hand, is an oldish guy about 50ish, seemingly nice to talk to, doesnt preach too much, has taken a couple beats..handles them well. He is real tight preflop, postflop his bets/raises mean decent hands, will semibluff, but tends to overplay some hands, such as trips or big pair in the hole.
Preflop I am in BB, he is in mp.
Folded to him, he raises to 100, button calls, i call with 33.
Flop is 37J 2 diamonds.
I Check,pf raiser bets 300, button folds,i call.
Turn is 6c, check, bet 1k, call.
river 2h.
I set him in.

Yeti
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I'd probably check the river again. I feel like such a badass when I do that.

thabadguy
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
LOL, that woulda been priceless.

9cao
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
love it, but probably because you hit a perfect river card for this play

if you really are Action Jackson then why not make a HUGE check-raise on flop, just in case one of the numerous scare cards slows him down.

thabadguy
08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
If button calls then i am def throwing in a CR, and a big one at that, but because he folded, i just called as i can very safely assume pf raiser doesnt have a diamond-draw, other than AKd.
If i cr the flop huge HU and he calls he might muck his AA, KK if i lead again on turn, and if i check turn he will probably check behind, making it harder to get my stack in.

sniperd
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Did he call with, "Miss'ed yer flush draw heh?" I love the play though. This is one of those hands where I am on the other end thinking, "WTF! That's such a blank, would he really slow play.. uh.. wtf can he have here? Slow played set? Nah, not with that flop.." And then give you all my money.

Nice one.

9cao
08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Good points. I will play devil's advocate.

I am not worried about giving free cards, I am just worried about you not being able to build the pot if a scare card hits. Let's say your read is very accurate and he has QQ-AA (let's ignore JJ). A diamond, a jack, running straight cards, or an ace or king depending on his holdings could all slow him right down. Let's approximate that to about the equivalent of 12 outs, and when you throw in the 2 outs where he makes a better set, and the running diamonds possibilty, I think this would be a great spot to cash in on the image you have built. I guess it depends on how massive a CR Villain would be willing to call.

thabadguy
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree that this would be a great great spot to get my lag image to pay off, and in such a case i will lead almost everytime, the thing is, i had been wondering for a while if there was a way to play drawing hands cheaply oop against raisers, and i the only thing could come up with slowplaying a hand such as a set, and tried it, i mean now he has to have on the back of his mind as does the table, that i am "stupid enough" to check call with a set on a 2 tone board, which might buy me enough free turn cards to risk this.
Also i might be able to bluff myself outta a few more missed draws.
Is my thinking seriously flawed??

Allinlife
08-15-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that this would be a great great spot to get my lag image to pay off, and in such a case i will lead almost everytime, the thing is, i had been wondering for a while if there was a way to play drawing hands cheaply oop against raisers, and i the only thing could come up with slowplaying a hand such as a set, and tried it, i mean now he has to have on the back of his mind as does the table, that i am "stupid enough" to check call with a set on a 2 tone board, which might buy me enough free turn cards to risk this.
Also i might be able to bluff myself outta a few more missed draws.
Is my thinking seriously flawed??

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you give up too much when you play sets that way just so you can bluff your missed draws. drawing sucks oop period due to how the game is structured.

It would be as silly as trying to slowplay your monsters oop trying to punish people with position to steal small pots. it's simply not worth it.

though the thought of being "he could have anything" guy is intruiging, there is alot to be sacrificed (mainly money left on the table) to earn that name.

that's my 2 cents.

ps) vanveen mentioned that he check-calls on flop/turn with top 2 or set every once in awhile against the "right crowd" (i suppose thinking-positional-aggros) so people don't automatically assume you cant have those "hands" everytime you aren't betting/raising the flop or the turn.

thabadguy
08-15-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ps) vanveen mentioned that he check-calls on flop/turn with top 2 or set every once in awhile against the "right crowd" (i suppose thinking-positional-aggros) so people don't automatically assume you cant have those "hands" everytime you aren't betting/raising the flop or the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly the reason i did this, i dont mean to make this play a staple, just once in a while....

mgsimpleton
08-15-2005, 07:51 PM
if you think you are bluffing missed draws often enough that it is worth it, then i suppose it's ok... but i really feel like when a huge LAG hits a set, he should stack a guy. i know huge overbets look like bluffs, but they work for bluffs because they are so hard to call... if you put in a raise at some point and he can justify to himself putting you on a draw because you often raise your draws, then the money will go in. even though this looks like a bluff, it's still a lot to call and exactly why those bluffs are so effective, so i don't think this is nearly the best way to get paid off. if you really think the metagame benefits are worth it then go for it but i can't imagine they would be, as it'd have to be worth about 4k in bluffed draws now paying off (not only getting 4k for bluffed missed draws but getting 4k MORE than you would have ANYWAY) which i don't think is going to happen.

just my two cents but i'm kind of drunk in mexico and why the f am i sittin gin an internet cafe reading 2+2 anyway? ha.