PDA

View Full Version : Nano-limit Maniacs

TeeVeeDude
08-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I've been playing the .02/.04 tables at PokerStars for a couple of months now. Friday I saw something that I'd never seen before.

I'm at a table that's unusually tight for this limit, with a lot of hands being won without a showdown. A new guy joins the table, two seats to the left of me. He stands out before he plays his first hand, because the normal buy-in here is 40 cents and he buys in for $100.00.

He posts a blind, there are a few folds and a couple of callers, he raises, everybody folds.

Next hand he raises, everybody folds.

Next hand he raises, gets two callers. He raises the flop, one fold one call. On the turn he raises, gets re-raised, they cap the turn and the river. He shows down with a 9-3 offsuit that didn't match anything on the board, and loses to a pair of 7's.

Next hand I get a pair of jacks, the maniac and I cap every round of the betting, and he shows another rag hand -- I think this time he caught a piece of the flop and ended up with something like a pair of 4's.

Most of the folks as the table are still folding to his raises, so I loosen up my standards and start betting any ace, any two broadway, any two suited, etc. The maniac stays for about two orbits and when he leaves I'm up almost $5 -- over 100 BB's.

The really weird thing is that a couple of hours later, at a different table, a DIFFERENT maniac sits in. This one brings $4,000 to a .02/.04 table, and starts raising every hand. He didn't stick around as long as the first one, but he did make a nice contribution to may bankroll before he went.

And both of these guys were real loudmouths, berating the other players for poor play, trying to get the phone numbers of the female players, and just generally being obnoxious.

The most interesting thing is the reaction of the rest of the table to the maniacs. Most of the fish fall into one of two categories:

1) They fear the maniacs constant raising and fold with decent hands, or

2) They become maniacs themselves.

I haven't encountered these kinds of maniacs before, but working from general principles here's what I figured out:

Many players think that you must play tight at a loose table. But SSHE says that it is correct to play slightly tighter than the table, not overly tight.

So when a maniac will raise with any two cards, it is correct to play back at him with ALMOST any two cards. I was playing him with, as I said, any pocket pair, any ace, any two suited cards, any two connected cards. If the flop missed me I'd fold (but not with the pocket pairs since a pair of deuces was often good). If the flop hit me I'd play back at the maniac, capping every round of betting.

I'm not sure if this is optimum strategy against a maniac, but it seemed to work. I'd appreciate comments from those with more experience.

MrWookie47
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
That's pretty close to perfect, and it looks like it worked. You just have to know what has showdown value, and be prepared for a lot of variance.

UATrewqaz
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Two strategies really

1. Batten down the hatches and wait for excellent hands, ones they will pay you off on big time, this is a profitable/low variance strategy.

2. Loosen up and try to isloate him when you have decent/good hands. This is a more profitable but higher variance play.

imported_The Vibesman
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
When I run into maniacs at .5/1 I play them the same as you just described.

Dave G.
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So when a maniac will raise with any two cards, it is correct to play back at him with ALMOST any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to understand what to do, judging by the rest of your post, but this quote needs some attention. You still need to play solid hands against a maniac. You can't play "almost any two", it becomes a crapshoot and you're just as likely to blow off your stack to him as he is to you (you have in effect also become a maniac). Additionally, unless you isolate and get it HU, you do still have to worry about the other players in the hand who may beat you.

The play you suggested sounds fine, but I have a few comments about small pairs. I fold small pairs (66 - 22) against a maniac.

The reason I fold small pairs is I want to limit my variance. If I go nuts with 22 just because he's a maniac, well, it's a crapshoot as to who is actually going to lose money on the hand. I'm either a VERY slight favourite or a huge underdog to a better pocket pair. This sort of situation is pointless and will make your variance jump hugely for only a very tiny long term profit. Calling 2 bets preflop with these hands only to fold the flop most of the time is a sure fire way to lose money as well, even if you allow for generous implied set odds (your set won't always win). If you're going to play your pair against him, you have to commit to it and take it all the way from the start, set or not. Since this is basically a crapshoot, I avoid it.

However, 77 and better are certainly good to play. You have a lot more equity with the medium pairs because they will frequently be higher than one or even both of your maniacs hole cards, which cripples his ability to pair up and beat you. Definitely play these and raise with them.

That's just my take on it anyway. I'm interested to hear other comments about the pairs as well.

aces_dad
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree with this post as the very smallest of the PP's are still against 2 live overcards and thus think that you should wait for little higher edges to push with.

shant
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
You adjusted to the situation and got paid. Well done.

You also tipped me off to a fun idea that I will try out tonight.

numeri
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, looking back on my days in 0.02/0.04, these maniacs were free money. Now, it sounds like a fun thing to do! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Somewhat irrelevant... but are you serious about all this? At .02/.04 there would rarely be a showdown? You gotta be kidding me! That's tighter than the 1/2 tables I've played on UB even!

Greg J
08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Well done. The best advice in this thread is that which tells you to keep doing what you just did. I think the strategy you outlined was more or less correct.

Greg J
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, looking back on my days in 0.02/0.04, these maniacs were free money. Now, it sounds like a fun thing to do! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotta give back -- stay true to yr nano roots.

imported_The Vibesman
08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
regarding small pairs (66 or less):

If I am reasonably certain I can get heads up with maniac by three-betting (which can often work, when nobody else wants to get in a raise-war), I will do that, and then usually just check-call the rest of the way unless I set up. I lose the minimum when he does have a hand and still take some value when he doesn't pair up. Usually these guys aren't at the table long, so it doesn't come up often enough to cause too much of a swing if I play them careful like this. It's hard to get in a raise, as you know you will be re-raised, and it's hard to know you have the best hand when overcards are always out there on the board. Still, these guys are willing to continue betting into you often enough when they don't make a hand, and often the UI small pair is good.

Again, though, don't overcommit, and don't play them against others at the table just because the maniac is involved.

TeeVeeDude
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat irrelevant... but are you serious about all this? At .02/.04 there would rarely be a showdown? You gotta be kidding me! That's tighter than the 1/2 tables I've played on UB even!

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say, there are tables like that. I usually avoid them, I'm not sure how I landed on this one.

You'd be surprised at how many rocks and weak-tight players there are at this level.

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You gotta do this at 0.01/0.02 on Ultimate Bet. It is the greatest. I did it as sort of a social experiment the other night. I put my ENTIRE table on tilt. The hand that did it was when I cold capped 32o from the small blind and flopped a pair of deuces and turned a 3. I'm not sure what the guy that was capping against me on every street had. Probably some crap like pocket aces. It was pretty funny. After going about 40 hands in a row of just capping every damn street, I was down about 2 dollars. However, I then shifted into thinking LAG mode and no one was any the wiser. I still had people capping A high against me heads up. Hell, I got one of my buddies to pay off my river value bet of bottom pair with an underpair to the board. I even won one hand 3 ways with 9 high.

One hand, I got KK, and there were 8 people in the pot. Every street was capped. I rivered the nut boat. It was absurd. I really do think there is something to selling the image that you are a stupid lag and then switching to thinking LAG once everyone is fed up with you.

The main result of the experiment: maniacs get paid off goot. I finished up 2 dollars that night (yes, a 200 BB swing).