PDA

View Full Version : How do you play these bad kickers from the big blind?

brian94709
08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Fold the river? Check the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (NL$50) <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.00) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.00</font>, UTG calls $1.00, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($4.00) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.00</font>, UTG calls $2.00.

River: ($8.00) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2.00</font>, Hero calls $2.00.

Final Pot: $12.00.

BZ_Zorro
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I check fold them in a multi way pot. Not worth the hassle.

Komodo
08-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Im usually just losing money when i try to do something with them (Like calling raises, information bets or valuebetting), so check/fold is probably best.

mustardo
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
With a draw on the board I'm check/folding as if you're called behind you're stuck. On this drawless board I'm betting out 3/4 pot and shutting down if called or raised.

brian94709
08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With a draw on the board I'm check/folding as if you're called behind you're stuck. On this drawless board I'm betting out 3/4 pot and shutting down if called or raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like a good plan.

AllIn3High
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a drawless board it'll often get checked through if your hand is good (or an aggressive button/CO will bet and you can call with a read). This looks like the perfect board for checking and seeing what develops. Betting and then giving up is spewing chips as you'll probably get a call here from 99, middle pair etc.

kongo_totte
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Check and fold (unless bettor is very aggressive, where I can see a check-call). If the flop checks through, bet the turn. I make alot of money w/ K Xo on boards of K 8 2r. If the turn comes for example a Q or a J, suddenly you have 3 players calling 2 streets with middle pair.

So, that's: check-fold flop, bet pot on turn, bet 1/2 on river. Fold to any aggression on any street.

08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
In a multiway pot, check and see. If someone from UTG or MP bets, you can be pretty sure they have at least a better king. If it gets checked around and the button bets out and you think he's just stealing, I'll raise it. If it's checked around on the flop and no scare card hits the turn, bet out the pot and fold to a raise, of course. Then c/c river b/c often you'll get action on the turn from second pair who thinks it's good now.

Edit. I think betting out the flop is the worst idea, b/c you're not getting much info from it. You'll often get someone with a better king who just calls you, b/c they're afraid to raise. Or a draw might just call you with position on you. Then you have to bet the turn and throw away more money, or check the turn OOP...Not good. I think checking the flop actually gives you more info than betting.

Rosie5
08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check fold them in a multi way pot. Not worth the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i restarted NL i found not doing this this was my biggest leak. I would flop top pair in the BB and lose 2-3$ often

I might make a small bet or 2 at these but not worth it usually. just make sure you play well in the raised pots, holla

brian94709
08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Interesting. I guess I handnt considered being this passive, but it makes sense. Checking the flop you can actually make money off the people with middle pair, whereas you might not have otherwise. Only worry is that by not betting the flop in a multiway pot, you have a good chance to be drawn out on at the turn.

AllIn3High
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I guess I handnt considered being this passive, but it makes sense. Checking the flop you can actually make money off the people with middle pair, whereas you might not have otherwise. Only worry is that by not betting the flop in a multiway pot, you have a good chance to be drawn out on at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really a problem in a small pot on a drawless board. And say the board is K82r and the turn is an A / 8 / 9, you bet and is raised now it's an easy fold.

swolfe
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
i generally check the flop and maybe call, maybe fold depending on who's betting and whatnot. i'll almost always lead the turn if i call though...

Raven
08-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Check the flop. Fold from a bet except if its from the last player as it will often be a bluff or a small pair. But just call, dont build a pot out of position with top pair no kicker, and who knows, one of the other player might be slowplaying. On the turn you can check again, as he will fold the hands worst than you and call or raise the ones that beat you if you bet, so you are better inducing bluff IMO. If he bet you are in the read area, it depend on the player.

If it got checked around bet out on the turn.

08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really a problem in a small pot on a drawless board. And say the board is K82r and the turn is an A / 8 / 9, you bet and is raised now it's an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

And being drawn out on isn't your primary concern here. Getting stuck in a pot with second best hand is your concern. There will be plenty of times where it's checked around and an ace hits on the turn. You check and someone bets and you fold. But it doesn't matter, becuase you're keeping yourself out of a real bad spot.