PDA

View Full Version : Table conditions for preflop isolation raising

SlantNGo
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi all,

I've been wondering a bit about how certain factors should affect whether or not to attempt to isolate a loose open-limper. If I can isolate him, great, but sometimes I'll have a slightly loose Button or a slightly loose blind that'll tag along. For example, take the following situation:

On Hero's right is a player who sees too many flops and takes hands too far (let's say, 50% VPIP and will call on the flop with a single overcard or just a backdoor draw). On Hero's left is a rock.

Hero is in MP3 with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
All fold to MP2, MP2 (loosie) calls, <font color="red"> Hero ??? </font> (CO is the rock)

What would your action be if:

a) Button is slightly loose and will cold call with hands like KT and JTs. The blinds are tight but one will probably call if Button cold-calls.

b) Button is tight, but both blinds are slightly loose. BB will call with any Ace, King, pocket pair, suited, or no-gap connectors.

c) Button and BB are tight, but SB is as loose as MP2, the guy you're trying to isolate.

d) Button and SB are tight, but BB is as loose as MP2.

Finally, how would your choices differ if you held 66 instead of A5s?

deception5
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM
The biggest question is will they give up if they miss the flop (the blinds/button)? If they tend to assume I have an overpair when rags flop and an ace when one flops I'm much happier to raise preflop.

I'd like 66 more than A5s here as you have 2 ways to win. You'll often win by betting an Axx/Kxx flop after raising preflop so 66 works just as well and you'll flop a monster occasionally.

I would probably still raise with A5s here as it seems like the button is only coldcalling with decent hands and it is not all that likely that he will have something as good as JTs. If I knew he'd coldcall with 65s I would consider just calling preflop as I'd really like to have position and get this down to 3 players or less if I raise.

Edit: The specific questions...

a) Button is slightly loose and will cold call with hands like KT and JTs. The blinds are tight but one will probably call if Button cold-calls.

I probably raise.

b) Button is tight, but both blinds are slightly loose. BB will call with any Ace, King, pocket pair, suited, or no-gap connectors.

I'd consider limping if there is a good chance both blinds will come along regardless.

c) Button and BB are tight, but SB is as loose as MP2, the guy you're trying to isolate.

Probably call unless BB often gives up his BB getting 7:1.

d) Button and SB are tight, but BB is as loose as MP2.

Raise.