PDA

View Full Version : Birth (the movie)

jnalpak
08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Thoughts?

I just saw Birth w/ a almost shaven head nicole kidman. LINK (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337876/) I thought it was great. I'm one who gets attached to NYC films that are truly legit NYC films (ie, Victor Vargas and NOT sleepless in seattle) and this movie is LEGIT.

Birth is very unsettling but the storyline is terrific and the cast is strong.

For those that live in NY or have visited and have a fond love for central park the openning sequence is enough to bring you into this film for the duration.

One of the better soundtrack scores that will really stay with you for a long time. I currently have the openning sequence for my runs through the park but hopefully what happens to sean doesnt happen to me.

anyone else see it?

someone from IMDB wrote a review much better then me:
This is an thought provoking elegiac film that has moments of great cinema. For example the long opening tracking shot of the jogger seen monochromatically against snow, and the close shot of Nicole Kidman's face registering her emotions and uncertainty to the powerful music of Wagner in the concert hall, would do credit to Orson Welles. The story is unsettling and is never quite explained, we are lead to believe that a 10 year old boy is the reincarnation of Anna's (Nicole Kidman) long dead husband Sean. The strange boy appears on the scene as Anna intends to remarry a wealthy suitor Joseph. Young Sean as played by Cameron Bright is remarkable. Is he for real or is he a fraud ? A strange attachment begins between Anna and the little boy, culminating in the much discussed bath sequence. This unease and constant suggestion of the supernatural versus conspiracy is maintained right to the last enigmatic scene. More effective than many of the recent ghostly films revolving around children including The Sixth Sense and The Others (another Nicole Kidman vehicle). The elegant presentation with fine muted Autumnal Cinematography, precise editing, and superb music, works extremely well, although some may find the pacing a trifle slow. I didn't, and indeed when violence breaks out it is all the more starting, as when Joseph attacks Sean with a piano in the dining room. A strong cast including Lauren Bacall work well together, but in the end it's the sequences between Kidman and Bright that remain most intriguing. Jonathan Glazer is a director to watch, he should go far.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
It was o.k. Not more.