PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Etiquette

Los Feliz Slim
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Flew yesterday from LA to Chicago, with my 5-month old and my wife. Because of the kid, they have us the bulkhead, the plane was a Super-80. It was completely full.

There's one bathroom in first class for 16 people and two bathrooms in coach for about 200 people. The coach bathrooms are in the very back of the plane, while the first class bathroom is about 10 feet away from me. The coach bathrooms, for obvious reasons, have a line for the entire flight. The first class bathroom does not. At the beginning of the flight they tell you to only use the bathroom in your own cabin.

Your move?

Matty
08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
how long is the line?

Los Feliz Slim
08-15-2005, 09:59 AM
5-6 people at all available times, because the seat belt sign is often on due to turbulence. Also, there's no place to stand really, so your ass is going to be in somebody's face.

Rotating Rabbit
08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Id queue, besides it can often be quite social, ive struck up many a conversation with interesting ppl in airplane toilet lines.

Unless of course you have to go as a matter of urgency.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
you could ask an attendant if you can use the first class restroom. my understanding is it's illegal after 9/11 to form lines though.

Nick-Zack
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I am taking my kids on a trip in a few days. This will be the first time in 2 years that I will fly in coach and am not looking forward to it.

Los Feliz Slim
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
During the flight, two people from coach take the bull by the horns and use the first class bathroom and nobody says anything, so we know it's possible to do without getting hassled. I'm more interested in the ethics of the situation.

I, for one, think that the exclusive bathroom is one of the perks of first class, like the numerous free drinks.

On a side note, whenever they needed to open the cockpit door, the stewardess jammed the drink cart into the aisle at the front of first class as a blockade and nobody up there was allowed to stand up. First time I'd seen that.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive struck up many a conversation with interesting ppl in airplane toilet lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate people like you.

Yeti
08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive struck up many a conversation with interesting ppl in airplane toilet lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate people like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant.

TheCroShow
08-15-2005, 10:36 AM
respect the rules, use the coach bathroom. i'm sure the line-ups weren't THAT bad. remember this, god hates liars

Porcupine
08-15-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my understanding is it's illegal after 9/11 to form lines though.

[/ QUOTE ]

On my post 9/11 flights, it was only illegal to form lines in the front part of the plane. Lines were allowed for the rear bathroom(s).

Rico Suave
08-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Slight thread hijack...But since we are speaking of airplane etiquette....

I never lean my chair back in coach, b/c I absolutely hate it when someone in front of me does it. My personal space goes from miniscule to non-existant....it feels like the dude's head is in my lap.

--Rico

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
You really should have an avatar to go with that name. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rico Suave
08-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Jake:

[ QUOTE ]
You really should have an avatar to go with that name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I have made a couple of half-assed attempts to find something, but found nothing that I liked.

--Rico

CrazyEyez
08-15-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I never lean my chair back in coach, b/c I absolutely hate it when someone in front of me does it. My personal space goes from miniscule to non-existant....it feels like the dude's head is in my lap.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]
YES. I can't believe how many jerks push the seat back for that 1 inch of recline. Like it makes a difference.
marginal utility (gain) of recliner <<<<<< marginal utility (loss) of reclinee

Yeti
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I never lean my chair back in coach, b/c I absolutely hate it when someone in front of me does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I have been saying this all weekend in various conversations.

razor
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never lean my chair back in coach, b/c I absolutely hate it when someone in front of me does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have barely enough leg space as it is, it's annoying as hell when the person in front of me does this. My knees want to murder these people.

Voltron87
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
you people are kidding, right?

Porcupine
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
As long as we're doing slight hijacks -

I wish those traveling with kids would teach/remind their kids to not kick the back of the seats.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wish those traveling with kids would teach/remind their kids to not kick the back of the seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Children should get one chance. If they step out of line, they should be bound and gagged for the duration of the flight.

Worrots
08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have barely enough leg space as it is, it's annoying as hell when the person in front of me does this. My knees want to murder these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kneedefender.com/

This is what I use and they work. Be prepared to deal with the attitude of the person in front of you, though.

Los Feliz Slim
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I could see this product leading to many highly amusing confrontations.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could see this product leading to many highly amusing confrontations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. It would almost be worth the cost to hand out a few at the beginning of flights.

CrazyEyez
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Children should get one chance. If they step out of line, they should be bound and gagged for the duration of the flight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last time I flew I had my 15-month-old daughter with us. She was in her car seat strapped to her own chair. Her knees did not reach the edge of her seat, so her legs lay straight out. But they didn't reach the seat in front of her, so no problem. Until the lady leaned her seat back right into my daughter's feet. We tried to hold her feet still, but it was impossible. After 45 minutes of looks from the woman and a "Sorry, there's nothing I can do" from me, she finally put her seat back up. Some people are very stubborn.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I flew I had my 15-month-old daughter with us. She was in her car seat strapped to her own chair. Her knees did not reach the edge of her seat, so her legs lay straight out. But they didn't reach the seat in front of her, so no problem. Until the lady leaned her seat back right into my daughter's feet. We tried to hold her feet still, but it was impossible. After 45 minutes of looks from the woman and a "Sorry, there's nothing I can do" from me, she finally put her seat back up. Some people are very stubborn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Children should be required to travel in the overhead bins. No problems that way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrazyEyez
08-15-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Children should be required to travel in the overhead bins. No problems that way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That or just kennel 'em.

beta1607
08-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I see no problem with reclining, I dont care if the people infront of me recline and the people behind me have the option to recline as well.

The real problem is when people sitting next to you push into my space that is much more annoying to me.

The simple answer to all airline space issues is of course buy a coach ticket and use airline miles to upgrade to first class whenever possible.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see no problem with reclining, I dont care if the people infront of me recline and the people behind me have the option to recline as well.

The real problem is when people sitting next to you push into my space that is much more annoying to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't recline. I don'y like the people in front to do it, but I figure it's their right. The people that infringe on my space from the sides, I get physicial with. Usually a couple of sharp elbows is enough to make my point.

Los Feliz Slim
08-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Do you go back all the way, regardless of the situation behind you? Like if the guy behind you is 6'4" and working on a laptop do you go easy on him?

And yes, intrusion on my side space, even by my wife, will not be tolerated. I am that aforementioned 6'4" guy, and since I'm also running about 250 lbs at the moment I need every inch they give me and more.

Boris
08-15-2005, 01:32 PM
49% think you should go to the back of the bus. ridiculous. You have a baby. go the nearest bathroom. I'd bet dollars to donuts the flight attendants wouldn't say a word.

razor
08-15-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I use and they work. Be prepared to deal with the attitude of the person in front of you, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

The times I've been seated in a emergency row exit has made world of difference. The extra leg space makes for a much more comfortable and relaxing flight.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't recline. I don'y like the people in front to do it, but I figure it's their right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really their right? Just because the seat is built to recline does not mean they have absolute authority to lay it in your lap. Cars are built to go faster than 100MPH, but it is not your right to maximize speed to the detriment of others.

Seats should be reclined if and only if there is no one sitting behind you.

razor
08-15-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 6'4" with legs a little longer than normal for a guy my size. Lean that seat back ANY amount and my knees are paying the price.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

The times I've been seated in a emergency row exit has made world of difference. The extra leg space makes for a much more comfortable and relaxing flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that wedging an open laptop in the tray area works as well. I haven't tried it because I'm not sure how true this is.

JaBlue
08-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I just got back a few days ago from NY. I was in the first row in coach. You know, the one with 5 feet of leg room in front of you.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it really their right? Just because the seat is built to recline does not mean they have absolute authority to lay it in your lap. Cars are built to go faster than 100MPH, but it is not your right to maximize speed to the detriment of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's nice, but I don't think he has an obligation to make you comfortable. The seats recline. I'm not in your situation. I'm not 6'4" and can understand your viewpoint but that's my $.02. If it's that uncomfortable buy a first class seat.

Something I've found recently is that Southwest, the discount carrier, has more legroom than American. so i've been flying Southwest recently when I can. Also, in general, the people seem to be more pleasant at Southwest for some reason.

LBJ
08-15-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't recline. I don'y like the people in front to do it, but I figure it's their right.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is their right. Cars don't go 100 mph for a reason, because it's against the law. Everyone has the ability to lean back, and it's certainly accepted.

beta1607
08-15-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poster: Los Feliz Slim
Subject: Re: Airplane Etiquette

Do you go back all the way, regardless of the situation behind you? Like if the guy behind you is 6'4" and working on a laptop do you go easy on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 6'2" so fairly tall myself. If there is a big dude behind me I will recline proportionally to what the person infront of me has done, if they are 1/2 then I will do the same to compensate.

It doesnt matter to me if the dude behind is on a laptop or listening to an iPod. My right to recline is equal or greater your right to play/work on your computer. We all pay for the same amount of space on the plane and what you do in your space has no bearing on how I utilize all of mine.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cars don't go 100 mph for a reason, because it's against the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does law have to do with it? I go 10-20 over because I feel it is a safe speed for my abilities, not because of the law. I look out for cops because it is the law and I might get a ticket.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has the ability to lean back, and it's certainly accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone indifferent or welcoming of people reclining in front of them. To call it accepted is not true. To call it tolerated is somewhat true.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To call it accepted is not true. To call it tolerated is somewhat true.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the same thing.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
reclining is for assholes

beta1607
08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reclining on 1hr flight yes, reclining on a 5hr+ cross country red eye flight not at all.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant to say. That pretty much sums it up.

meep_42
08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/amg_covers/200/dre600/e666/e66692bg97o.jpg

-d

razor
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reclining on 1hr flight yes, reclining on a 5hr+ cross country red eye flight not at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to repeat

RECLINING IS FOR ASSHOLES!!!!

No matter how long your [censored] flight is.

Just to be clear... you are saying it's not ok to recline and make life uncomfortable for the person behind you on a 1hr flight, but it is ok to do so on a 5hr+ flight?

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear... you are saying it's not ok to recline and make life uncomfortable for the person behind you on a 1hr flight, but it is ok to do so on a 5hr+ flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I don't recline, but on a long flight i may rethink. I think at some point, my own desire for comfort overcomes my giving a [censored] about the comfort of the giant freak of nature sitting behind me. If you're tall and it's a problem for you, buy a first class seat.

beta1607
08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am saying it is lame to do it for the 50 minutes from LA to SF but if you are flying overnight from LA to NYC then there is nothing wrong with reclining to make yourself more comfortable/help you sleep.

People who don't want to deal with people utilizing their right to recline should plan ahead and request a seat at the first row of coach when they buy their ticket.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I don't recline, but on a long flight i may rethink. I think at some point, my own desire for comfort overcomes my giving a [censored] about the comfort of the giant freak of nature sitting behind me. If you're tall and it's a problem for you, buy a first class seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are basically telling us you don't recline as a consideration for the person behind you. If you become uncomfortable, then you may recline. Since you supposedly carry this consideration, you should also buy a first class ticket before becoming an "[censored]".

daryn
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
If you're tall and it's a problem for you, buy a first class seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this 100% and it's so obvious to me. if you have a not so average body you gotta take care of your own business.

beta1607
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree with this 100% and it's so obvious to me. if you have a not so average body you gotta take care of your own business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Just like fat people having to buy two tickets on some airlines.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are basically telling us you don't recline as a consideration for the person behind you. If you become uncomfortable, then you may recline. Since you supposedly carry this consideration, you should also buy a first class ticket before becoming an "[censored]".

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. As I said, it's not my responsibility to take care of your comfort. If it's a problem for you, then buy a first class seat.

I'm also of the opinion that you're the [censored] for expecting the rest of the world to take care of your problems. You're the one that expects everyone else to be uncomfortable so that you don't have to be.

Rico Suave
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
meep42:

nice.

Funny...I go 2 years with almost no PMs.... But today I post in OOT, jakes comments on my lack of an avatar, and I have several PM's with avatar suggestions.

--Rico

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also of the opinion that you're the [censored] for expecting the rest of the world to take care of your problems. You're the one that expects everyone else to be uncomfortable so that you don't have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just voicing my view on the seat situation. Call it bitching if you will. Next time some old fart with religious symbols on their car is driving slow in front of you, please share again. Seems to me that is their right.

razor
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. As I said, it's not my responsibility to take care of your comfort. If it's a problem for you, then buy a first class seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there is some truth to this... what we are talking about here is reclining a seat a couple inches... there is NO WAY your increase in comfort is anywhere near my increase in discomfort. If your increase in comfort was in anyway significant I wouldn't whine about this and I'm pretty sure most others wouldn't either.

But reclining seats exist and as such it's your prerogative to recline the thing, and I suppose I have to either suffer or pay significantly more to avoid such situations.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
this is pretty simple folks. if nobody reclines, everybody has an equal amount of space. if you recline, you are taking space from the person behind you. it's a dick move.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Blah. This post sucked.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:17 PM
there are factors other than being tall in play here. if you recline a seat it's going to make it a lot harder for somebody to use a laptop, for example. is this not obvious?

Shajen
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't understand why airlines just don't remove the ability to recline your seat????

I never do it, mainly because it's exactly 0% more comfortable. Airplane coach seats suck. First class is the way to fly.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are factors other than being tall in play here. if you recline a seat it's going to make it a lot harder for somebody to use a laptop, for example. is this not obvious?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is a much worse argument than the height issue. I should be less comfortable so you can watch your damn movie on your laptop? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
it's a practical feature for overnight flights where the entire cabin is sleeping, non-full flights, etc.

Shajen
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Right, but it wouldn't annoy me any if they removed it, it's not like the damned seats are any more comfortable reclined 4.5 inches.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
there doesn't need to be any kind of argument. if a midget was behind me i wouldn't recline unless i had his explicit approval. everybody has an equal amount of space. if somebody reclines without permission they are stealing space from the person behind them, which is unfair.

stabn
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is pretty simple folks. if nobody reclines, everybody has an equal amount of space. if you recline, you are taking space from the person behind you. it's a dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if everyone reclines?

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
and if everybody reads the thread before responding? i'm really racking up the ignores today!

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
This thread is very interesting. I honestly had no idea this meany people got so worked up over seat reclining. As I said, I don't recline. Mostly because as has been pointed out, the tiny bit of added comfort isn't enough to compensate for the reduction to the person behind me. But I've never thoiught it nearly as big a deal when the person in front of me reclines, as you folks seem to. However, as stated, I'm not that tall.

stabn
08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and if everybody reads the entire thread before responding? i'm really racking up the ignores today!

[/ QUOTE ]

I read like 7-8 of your posts on the argument but [censored] dude the thread isn't really good enough to read them all.

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:29 PM
i'm not tall either. if somebody reclines, i'll ask them to stop. if they continue to "assert their rights", i will assert my rights to play wipeout on the back of their chair.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not tall either. if somebody reclines, i'll ask them to stop. if they continue to "assert their rights", i will assert my rights to play wipeout on the back of their chair.

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa

astroglide
08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
it's not even a thread reading thing so much as it is a "what a worthless post" thing.

"AHA, BUT WHAT IF EVERYBODY DOES IT?" gee, einstein, as you just might have surmised i would have no problem with that. what a poignant observation! zing!

CrazyEyez
08-15-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what we are talking about here is reclining a seat a couple inches... there is NO WAY your increase in comfort is anywhere near my increase in discomfort. If your increase in comfort was in anyway significant I wouldn't whine about this and I'm pretty sure most others wouldn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. IMO opinion this is the crux of the arguement.

beta1607
08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
It is impossible to judge how comfortable it makes someone else, everyone has different preferences. I am very uncomfortable if I get stuck in the very back row and cant recline a little bit.

stabn
08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not even a thread reading thing so much as it is a "what a worthless post" thing.

"AHA, BUT WHAT IF EVERYBODY DOES IT?" gee, einstein, as you just might have surmised i would have no problem with that. what a poignant observation! zing!

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several things you can do if you really need that space. You can recline as well if it looks like it won't inconveinece the person behind you (short / sleeping / reclining as well). You could also book an exit row / bulkhead row if you want to pay coach price and know that a reclined seat won't work for you.

Given the options you have both when booking your flight, at the gate, and while in the plane, to make yourself more comfortable as far as the reclining situation goes, i just don't think reclining is automatically a dick move.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blah. This post sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours or mine?

I read a few blogs on the topic. Here is a good quote that cleans up what Astroglide was saying. Must've been written by a British guy or something. He says

"When you encounter that seatback-in-the-face problem, the first solution is, of course, a polite request from you directly, or through a flight attendant, that the individual not recline so far. Unfortunately, anyone who is boorish enough to flop a seatback in your face will probably ignore any polite requests."

tdarko
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
reclining doesn't really bother me that much, i mean yeah it sucks b/c i now don't have as much room but that's their right they can do what they want.

what really pisses me off though is on a southwest flight (no assigned seating) when there aren't any aisle seats left and i go to a section with two short people and ask them if they could scoot over so that i could have the aisle so my knees aren't in my throat the whole flight and i have some room to stretch. they can clearly see that i am 6 inches taller than them yet they say tough [censored] sit in the middle. again they were there first so they can do what they want i guess but if i weren't tall and my knees didn't come anywhere near the back of the seat in front i would have no problems moving a seat over for the really tall guy, just seems like the right thing to do.

trying2learn
08-15-2005, 03:54 PM
dead heat at 70 apiece right now...interesting.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the answer to our airtravel comfort needs.
http://www.travelquality.com/flights/pictures/cabincrew/HootersAir/hooters_crew001.jpg

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what really pisses me off though is on a southwest flight (no assigned seating) when there aren't any aisle seats left and i go to a section with two short people and ask them if they could scoot over so that i could have the aisle so my knees aren't in my throat the whole flight and i have some room to stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget it. I always sit on the aisle. I'm not moving for you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are reasons. First, I hate having to either push past, or wake up some sleeping giant when I want to use the head. I also hate getting trapped all the way in while waiting for some dumbass with no sense of urgency when we land. Also, I like to be able to lean out in the aisle and watch the stewardesses asses.

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several things you can do if you really need that space. You can recline as well if it looks like it won't inconveinece the person behind you (short / sleeping / reclining as well). You could also book an exit row / bulkhead row if you want to pay coach price and know that a reclined seat won't work for you.

Given the options you have both when booking your flight, at the gate, and while in the plane, to make yourself more comfortable as far as the reclining situation goes, i just don't think reclining is automatically a dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the revelation (no sarcasm). From now on, I will recline if the person behind me is also reclining, since obviously they don't consider it an infringement on their space. On second thought, though, I will have to consider if they are reclining into someone else, an empty seat, or another recliner... Damn consideration! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Duke
08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]
YES. I can't believe how many jerks push the seat back for that 1 inch of recline. Like it makes a difference.
marginal utility (gain) of recliner &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; marginal utility (loss) of reclinee

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I had a stupid bitch put her jacket over the back of her chair. It took me about 5 minutes into the flight to realize that yes she was that stupid, and I had to explain to her that I couldn't see my damn TV, even if her puppy-fur jacket wasn't hanging down on my legs and pissing me off.

If you're more than about 6' tall and are built like a human being and not a giraffe, it's a pain in the ass to have the seat up. The top part that so cleverly comes forward to "support your head" hits me mid-back and ends up tilting me forward. At full recline I can sit vertically, and not slumped over forward like I just got shot.

~D

ChipWrecked
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Wow. Before my promotion (thank you, thank you) I used to fly a lot. I always recline. [censored] 'em if they can't take a joke. I don't get worked up about the person in front of me reclining either. Don't be so [censored] sensitive.

I'm tall, but I take the window because I sleep on flights. I don't want to be bothered with Granny-Walnut-Bladder getting up five times during a flight.

And use the first-class crapper. Leave the baby's dirty bomb on the counter.

youtalkfunny
08-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Am I the only one who makes an effort to use the bathroom in the terminal before boarding?

Put me on a Chi-LA flight, and I'll lay odds that I won't be using the bathroom on the plane. You'll find me in a window seat, because I can wait until we get off the plane--and because I'm tired of people who can't, who need to crawl over me twice per trip down the aisle.

And the fact that I can't squeeze my fat ass into the tiny bathroom, has nothing to do with any of this--I felt the same way before I blew up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slacker13
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly had no idea this meany people got so worked up over seat reclining.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me neither.
Personally, I recline.

[ QUOTE ]
But I've never thoiught it nearly as big a deal when the person in front of me reclines, as you folks seem to

[/ QUOTE ]
It's never bothered me either.
You jsut paid 3-400$ for a plane ticket and your not suppose to recline? Please!

Slacker13
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats ridiculous.

Duke
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly had no idea this meany people got so worked up over seat reclining.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me neither.
Personally, I recline.

[ QUOTE ]
But I've never thoiught it nearly as big a deal when the person in front of me reclines, as you folks seem to

[/ QUOTE ]
It's never bothered me either.
You jsut paid 3-400$ for a plane ticket and your not suppose to recline? Please!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were true that it was no more comfortable like is apparently the case for a lot of these posters, then I'd probably be in their camp.

The fact of the matter is that it's extremely uncomfortable to not recline, and only barely bearable when you are, so you kinda need to.

~D

astroglide
08-15-2005, 04:31 PM
i just paid $300 for a ticket and i'm not supposed to play wipeout? please!

Slacker13
08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact of the matter is that it's extremely uncomfortable to not recline, and only barely bearable when you are, so you kinda need to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I am 6'2 and reclining allows me to stretch out a little.

Duke
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably wouldn't ever do it, and I think he's just making a point that he equates reclining with being as rude as doing that. I obviously don't agree since not reclining even during takeoff and landing is a very painful experience for me due to the way seats are designed.

If he did that, the next scene would be the person in front of him scolding him for being a 5 year old very loudly. Then the Flight Attendants would come out. Then it would repeat again. 200 people on the plane would want him dead.

Escalating and causing a scene would make the "percussionist" look bad, and not the guy just doing what everyone else does.

~D

RunDownHouse
08-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I can't believe something like this gets you so upset. You're acting like a 5-year old just because of this thread. I'd really hate to be on a flight with you.

Duke
08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just paid $300 for a ticket and i'm not supposed to play wipeout? please!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd equate that to someone who can't make up their mind if they want to recline or not.

If only the cost of airplane fuel weren't so high they could remove 5 rows of seats and there wouldn't be a problem for anyone. The problem is that they designed it so that someone who is 6' tall is only a "little" uncomfortable, so anyone taller is basically screwed.

First class doesn't do a hell of a lot for me either, and wouldn't unless I got much wider and a lot shorter.

~D

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably wouldn't ever do it, and I think he's just making a point that he equates reclining with being as rude as doing that. I obviously don't agree since not reclining even during takeoff and landing is a very painful experience for me due to the way seats are designed.

If he did that, the next scene would be the person in front of him scolding him for being a 5 year old very loudly. Then the Flight Attendants would come out. Then it would repeat again. 200 people on the plane would want him dead.

Escalating and causing a scene would make the "percussionist" look bad, and not the guy just doing what everyone else does.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some otherwise professional people that do this. I didn't question it in the least. I think he was being somewhat literal.

daryn
08-15-2005, 05:26 PM
i have often been inconvenienced by a guy leaning back, but somehow i have never once thought to myself "what an [censored]". i have been using a laptop and the guy reclines.. now i have to tilt my laptop forward just to use it, and i still don't get pissed. the seat reclines for a reason.

now, if i reclined and someone behind me asked me to put it up because he was experiencing some discomfort, clearly i would put it up.

i think there are much more pressing airplane annoyance issues, such as small children kicking the back of your seat while the parent beside them DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. one time i even said something and she said "YOU try controlling a 4 year old!", i wanted to slap that bitch in the face.

daryn
08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
reclining doesn't really bother me that much, i mean yeah it sucks b/c i now don't have as much room but that's their right they can do what they want.

what really pisses me off though is on a southwest flight (no assigned seating) when there aren't any aisle seats left and i go to a section with two short people and ask them if they could scoot over so that i could have the aisle so my knees aren't in my throat the whole flight and i have some room to stretch. they can clearly see that i am 6 inches taller than them yet they say tough [censored] sit in the middle. again they were there first so they can do what they want i guess but if i weren't tall and my knees didn't come anywhere near the back of the seat in front i would have no problems moving a seat over for the really tall guy, just seems like the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh.. WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHOW UP EARLIER AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN DAMN GARGANTUAN PROBLEM

Duke
08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think there are much more pressing airplane annoyance issues, such as small children kicking the back of your seat while the parent beside them DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. one time i even said something and she said "YOU try controlling a 4 year old!", i wanted to slap that bitch in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's when you tell the kid: "You can stop that or I'll kill your mommy."

~D

drewjustdrew
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's when you tell the kid: "You can stop that or I'll kill your mommy."

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, there is no santa claus, easter bunny, or tooth fairy. That way, you can't be arrested.

beernutz
08-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I just did a 7 leg round trip with my 7 and 11 year old (3 legs over and 4 back) and we never had THAT long of a line to the loo so that it would have made a much of a difference. If it was an emergency, I'd have asked the flight attendant if it was ok to use the 1st class facilities.

jakethebake
08-16-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's when you tell the kid: "You can stop that or I'll kill your mommy." ~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, last week I did turn around and say something similar to a kid when his mom went to the head. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ChipWrecked
08-16-2005, 08:47 AM
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nanda/Personal/Collections/OverCrowded.jpg

Get over yourselves. JFC.

drewjustdrew
08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
But look at all that legroom. If I had that kind of leg room, I wouldn't say a word. I could give a [censored] less about elbow room.

Los Feliz Slim
08-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Shotgun!

DasLeben
08-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Nothing wrong with reclining. I just flew on an MD80 from Washington DC back to Pheonix, and the people in front of me would recline all the time. Didn't bother me a bit, and I did the same.

The thing that REALLY pisses me off are people who are 1. watching portable DVD players with no headphones on, and 2. people snapping their gum during descent. I've never seen #2 until yesterday, but I felt like strangling someone by the time we touched down.

tdarko
08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uh.. WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHOW UP EARLIER AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN DAMN GARGANTUAN PROBLEM

[/ QUOTE ]
calm down there now.

for some reason (on southwest as i mentioned in my OP) i still get a "C" boarding pass if i show up two hours before the flight every single time, after "A" and "B" have boarded there aren't usually many seats to choose from.

jakethebake
08-16-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for some reason (on southwest as i mentioned in my OP) i still get a "C" boarding pass if i show up two hours before the flight every single time, after "A" and "B" have boarded there aren't usually many seats to choose from.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a joke they play on the giants.

astroglide
08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
READ THIS IF YOU WANT AN "A" WITH SOUTHWEST

the day of your flight at 12:01AM (midnight) go to the southwest web site and do an online check in.

you get a printable boarding pass with a letter (which will be an A) immediately.

jakethebake
08-16-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the day of your flight at 12:01AM (midnight) go to the southwest web site and do an online check in.

you get a printable boarding pass with a letter (which will be an A) immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. Online check-in rules!

NoTalent
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're more than about 6' tall and are built like a human being and not a giraffe, it's a pain in the ass to have the seat up. The top part that so cleverly comes forward to "support your head" hits me mid-back and ends up tilting me forward. At full recline I can sit vertically, and not slumped over forward like I just got shot.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my problem. The design of the chair is horrible and it kills my upper back.

I'm 6'3" and I have no problem with legroom. Just straighten your legs out underneath the seat in front of you.

tdarko
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
thank you astroglide, i will do this.

ltb
08-17-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love using this. Saves sooo much time.

smb394
08-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't care if you think reclining is your right, you are getting asked to put your chair up. If you don't, I'm putting my knees into the back of your chair for the rest of the flight.

OP, ask stewardess if it's OK to use that BR.

Los Feliz Slim
08-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Today was the Chicago to Boston leg of the trip. Person in front of me pushes their seat allllllll the way back the second we're off the ground. Her seat was about four inches from my face. My wife wanted to take a picture so I could post it here but I wasn't in the mood.

Bottom line: just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it. Reclining all the way with no regard whatsoever for the person/situation behind you makes you a douchebag.

There was no Wipeout played, nor did I pass the crapola on to the person behind me, because someone else being a dick doesn't make it OK for me to be one.

TomCollins
08-17-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love using this. Saves sooo much time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't do this with checked bags, can you? Southwest blows.

KaneKungFu123
08-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Give her the crotch, then the ass.

astroglide
08-18-2005, 12:56 AM
yeah, you can do it if you check bags. you do that part when you get there.

OtisTheMarsupial
08-18-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
During the flight, two people from coach take the bull by the horns and use the first class bathroom and nobody says anything, so we know it's possible to do without getting hassled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've done it an no one complained one bit.
I think there is no ethical problem so long as you don't make 1st class smell funny.

CamelZoo
08-23-2005, 07:02 PM
my personal contribution:

http://www.seatguru.com/

i found it this summer after flying to and from honduras, and plan on using it before my next flight.

as for the baby situation, if it's just for you, go to the coach bathroom. if it's for the kid and there's a line in back i'd go to first class. seems like SOP, and tell anybody in first class that they have no soul if they give you isht.

CORed
08-23-2005, 07:16 PM
What are they going to do if they catch you using the wrong bathroom? Throw you out?