PDA

View Full Version : great advice - not

08-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Just thought I'd share a something I read recently in a online gambling supplement to a PC magazine. Phil Hellmuth had written an article on 10 most common poker mistakes. One of them were:
1) don't chase straight or flush draws, you'll end up losing in the long run.........
hmmm ok Phil, I've got an open ended straight, 4 to a flush with overcards draw but I think I'll fold on your advice cos I really don't like money very much.

I wonder how many losing players he just created with that statement?

dhaimon
08-15-2005, 09:28 AM
I somehow doubt the advice was worded like that.

Uppercut
08-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Far be it from me to defend Phil Hellmuth's advice, but I am pretty sure he was talking about NL tournament poker as opposed to ring games. If that is the case, then IN GENERAL, one should not chase draws, unless one holds the type of draw to which you refer. Of course, many other factors need to be taken into account as well, such as stack sizes, blinds, position ,etc.

08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I somehow doubt the advice was worded like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
It pretty much was - he wasn't talking about backdoor flushes or straights either. Maybe the advice is ok for NL tournaments, but he was referring to hold 'em poker in a general way. If I was a new player and hadn't read SSH yet, I would take this point at his word. I just think it was rather irresponsible if he's not specifying where his advice applies.

spaminator101
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
if i didnt know that phil was the kind of person that he is i would be surprised

Webster
08-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Well - Phils book also says the way to win online is to ONLY play the top ten hands!

Need I say more!

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

dogmeat
08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Player whofollow this advice, because they think it is all-inclusive, are not winners, and probably were not destined to be.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif