PDA

View Full Version : How can i improve my skils ? I play 2/4 now.

08-15-2005, 09:07 AM
If anyone can advice me in how to improve my skils as a poker player please send me messeges. I have read books and i play 2/4 at 3 tables at once. over the last 2 months i have lost little over 5000 dollars playing 5/10 so i started to play 2/4. But i am stil losing. Whatever i win in 2 hours i lose in the next 1 hour/ what should i do now? i play avg. of 500 hands per day 5 days a week.

dhaimon
08-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Start to play one table for now, post hands you are insecure about here. Read these forums a lot, read more books, invest in PokerTracker (http://pokertracker.com), download pokerace (http://pokeracesoftware.com).

Think about your game constantly. Think about your opponents. Think about pot odds. Ask yourself why you are calling or folding everytime you are raised, and what makes the most sense. Don't tilt.

Hope some of this helps

Eder
08-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Find & play at a level you can win at...

Simplistic
08-15-2005, 12:32 PM
play at a lower level, and play 1 table at a time until you find you're winning.

spkid
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Re-read, and then re-re-read. Seriously. For me, SSHE has improved my game better than any other book. That being said, I still don't understand all of the concepts in it. I have already read it twice in its entirety and have read certain sections 5-10 or more times.

silkyslim
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
is this a joke??, if not, u need to move WAY down in limits. go to .25/.5 or .5/1 and build from there. you shouldnt be losing this kind of money, thats a real problem.

uuDevil
08-15-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read books....

[/ QUOTE ]

Which ones?

At a minimum these should include Theory of Poker, and Small Stakes Hold'em.

SoSo
08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Everyone can read books, u gotta understand and apply.

ncboiler
08-15-2005, 10:09 PM
These questions are WAY to general and kind of whiney. Post hands partake in discussions.

08-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I will get proker traker... if anything else can help let me know. thanks again

MarkL444
08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
drop down. now.

go to micro-limit forum over
<------ here.

REPLY to as many hands as you can whenever you have free time. replying is better than posting.

Seth Money
08-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Trish,

Congrats on coming here and admitting you have a problem. I would generally say that someone that has or is playing a lot of cards needs to take a few days away from the game, re group mentally, go fishing, golfing, whatever it is you do but nothing poker at least for a few days.

When you come back drop down to some lower limits, suffice to say that worrying about the money part isn't what you should be doing. Hell I know there are days where you play the cards the way you are supposed to 85% of the time and you just lose. I think you should be focusing on each hand, what others have, and re-evaluating what you think and what you do know about the game. I've met some really good players in my time and I have noticed that the ones who are more successful are the ones that are willing to look outside of the box and are willing to change.

I can't really say whats going on your head when you play, only you know that but right now things arent going right. People will suggest books, and posting on here and thats all good and long term it will make you a better player but for the short term you have to decide what you want to do we can only offer our suggestions.

Seth

smartalecc5
08-16-2005, 02:12 AM
do not multitable

08-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Seth,
Thanks for your advice. I tried .50/1 and 1/2 but in those lot of players raise and reraise with nothing so i end up folding a med pair or fold on the preflop with avg wining hand. Thats why i play 2/4 because in that most dont reaise and reraise with nothing. when ever i entered a table at .50/1 or 1/2 i came out with 0 dollars. thats the reason i dont like to play other then 2/4. i also reaslized that after 2/4 like 3/6 or 5/10 those players are too smart for me. I wish i knew that when i lost 5000 dollars in 5/10. anyways i have read small stakes hold'em but is there any other books i should read or anything else i should do to improve my skills? please let me know. thanks.
Trish

Wada
08-16-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried .50/1 and 1/2 but in those lot of players raise and reraise with nothing so i end up folding a med pair or fold on the preflop with avg wining hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You WANT people to raise you with nothing. Your best bet is to move down to .5/1 and play about 50k hands to see if your winning at that level. Then move up.

[ QUOTE ]
anyways i have read small stakes hold'em but is there any other books i should read or anything else i should do to improve my skills? please let me know. thanks.
Trish

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones as well as Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller. Plus read SSH over and over and over and over and over. My front cover is already worn down.

It sounds like you might want to consider just taking a step back and getting back to basics.

Trust us...move down to .5/1 and make sure you are winning at that limit before you even consider moving up.

YetioDoom
08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
You say you read SSHE, and yet you complain that the players are too bad at the lower limits. This seems to indicate that you did not absorb even the most basic concept of how players win money in poker. You should drop down in limits and stay there for an extended amount of hands, and hopefully you'll realize that in the long run, players "not respecting your raises" will make you money.

08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seth,
Thanks for your advice. I tried .50/1 and 1/2 but in those lot of players raise and reraise with nothing so i end up folding a med pair or fold on the preflop with avg wining hand. Thats why i play 2/4 because in that most dont reaise and reraise with nothing. when ever i entered a table at .50/1 or 1/2 i came out with 0 dollars. thats the reason i dont like to play other then 2/4. i also reaslized that after 2/4 like 3/6 or 5/10 those players are too smart for me. I wish i knew that when i lost 5000 dollars in 5/10. anyways i have read small stakes hold'em but is there any other books i should read or anything else i should do to improve my skills? please let me know. thanks.
Trish

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it interesting how a statement like this can reveal pretty much everything that is wrong with how a person is playing?

IMHO I cannot fathom how you managed to read SSHE and still have this POV.

MicroBob
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried .50/1 and 1/2 but in those lot of players raise and reraise with nothing so i end up folding a med pair or fold on the preflop with avg wining hand. Thats why i play 2/4 because in that most dont reaise and reraise with nothing. when ever i entered a table at .50/1 or 1/2 i came out with 0 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an extremely poor (albeit common) misunderstanding of poker.

Drop down to the .5/1 games and don't leave until you can beat those games.
you HAVE to learn how to win at the .5/1 tables (or even smaller limits on other sites like pokerstars or UB perhaps).

You absolute HAVE to forget EVERYTHING you thought you knew about poker and start over with a completely open-mind. Because some of the things you are thinking about what constitutes 'good poker play' are completely wrong (hence the reason you're losing so frequently).
Until you accept this you will not become a winning player.

Drop to the .5/1 tables.
Go to the micro-limit forums.
Read a lot.
Stop multi-tabling as much.

(also...you can try re-reading some of your books with a greater focus on absorbing the information instead of just reading through it)

You are not playing winning poker because you don't know how to play winning poker.
These forums are a great way to learn how to play winning poker. It's just up to the individual to accept the fact that the way THEY play is wrong and that the way the consistent winners play is generally more correct.

Seth Money
08-16-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You absolute HAVE to forget EVERYTHING you thought you knew about poker and start over with a completely open-mind. Because some of the things you are thinking about what constitutes 'good poker play' are completely wrong (hence the reason you're losing so frequently).
Until you accept this you will not become a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

CAN I GET AN AMEN FROM CONGREGATION!!!!! AMEN MY BROTHER!!!!!

Nice post MicroBob, exactly what I was trying to say. She needs someone to do an "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" on her.