PDA

View Full Version : Wrong move in no limit?

08-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Where did I go wrong, or did I go wrong?

I'm a limit guy. By mistake I sat down at a 1/2 no limit table.

It was my plan to get up and leave the table, but my first hand was AKo. There was two calls a bet to 4 $, and then I raised to 6 $, everybody folded except the raiser who raised to 20 $. I called.

The flop came 2 8 T rainbow. He checked, I raised All in with my last 20 $ as a semibluff. He called. He had TT.

Did I play that hand wrong? Did he?

nuclear500
08-15-2005, 09:30 AM
As a limit player you should know that AK is a drawing hand.
You minraised him in no limit, he's not dropping his pair. Your better move when he raised another 20 was pushing the rest in - he would have called anyway, but it was the better move.

He played it fine.

Uppercut
08-15-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where did I go wrong, or did I go wrong?

I'm a limit guy. By mistake I sat down at a 1/2 no limit table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing right about here.

gomberg
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
You should post this in SSNL forum.

Your best move here is to call the small bet or raise more. A min raise is a huge mistake in NL. Were you in the blind? AKo isn't a great hand in NL. Once you're reraised, fold.

spaminator101
08-15-2005, 12:54 PM
you played it terrible i would stick with limit for a while
you cant just go all in on the flop with two over cards
why?
because his betting pattern suggested that he had a pair and was likely to flop a set or even if he didnt your a 2/1 or 3/1 dog also i only call the raise pre flop AK is great when you flop something but utter trash when you dont

pzhon
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Did I play that hand wrong? Did he?

[/ QUOTE ]
He shouldn't have made only a minimum raise. He should have made a larger raise. You should not have made a minimum reraise. You should have pushed preflop, as there was $11 in the pot (other than a blind you might have posted), and you only had $40.

After your min-reraise, his raise to $20 was great. It put the initial caller (who could have a speculative hand like 22 or 86s) in an awful position, since you might push in your $40, reopening the action to the initial raiser.

I think you should have just pushed over the top, but calling the reraise to $20 was fine. It's ok to play a bit of poker when you have position.

On the flop, the play by both players was fine. When the pot is so large, it is hard to get away from AK unimproved, and pushing is reasonable.