PDA

View Full Version : Starting to multitable

Damian UK
08-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi All

I have built my BR up to $350 or so by bonus whoring and am trying to multitable the $5 and $10 SNG. But I can't seem to play more than 2 tables at any one time properly. I have tried staggering the start times, but this doesn't help me.

I am wondering whether I am better playing at the $2 tables until I get used to 4 tabling? Therefore risking less of my BR whilst I learn?

Advice from those who do 4 or 8 table and how they started out/how long it took them to master multitabling etc is most appreciated!

Tried a search and found a few threads regarding 3 tabling as easier than 4, but no advice about how to step up to 4 or 8 tabling (I'm sure its out there, I just can't fumble myself through the search quirks /images/graemlins/blush.gif).

Thanks in advance

Damian

Myst
08-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Its person dependent. Practice makes perfect. I started off 4 tabling, and then immediately made the jump to 8 tabling.

Yes, you are probably better moving down limits just so you get USED to the idea of multitabling, at least from a pscyhological "Safety Net" perspective.

tigerite
08-15-2005, 08:04 AM
There really isn't some secret, just practice makes perfect. I find 4 a doddle now to be honest, though I've been 4-tabling in sets for a few days, just through being a bit lazy. 6- and 8-tabling does require more concentration.

Hornacek
08-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend more than 4-tabling unless you're running on more than one computer, or if you have an insanely large monitor. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

However, just play tighter! Play fewer hands, get used to clicking on the "Fold" button before action gets to you (at least early game), and try to take notes on players if you're not in a hand. Its much easier than trying to remember their names for future reference... write that junk down, and access it forever for the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tigerite
08-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I don't really bother with notes but use Poker Office's live stats to keep track of who's playing what, and their aggression factors, plus a few other stats here and there.

Yeah, you do need two monitors to 8 table, unless you like overlap a lot, or something

Damian UK
08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
thanks for the replies

Have a 19" TFT so I can 4 table at VCpoker quite easily

NOTES?? LOL too busy clicking and trying to keep up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

am 4 tabling the low buy ins and getting a feel for fold/call/push etc

Thanks for the positive feedback

Cheers

Damian

BadMongo
08-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Just play as many tables as you are comfortable with, then add additional tables one at a time. You'll get used to it. I remember when I made the jump from 2 to 4 tables it seemed insane and I had a hard time keeping up. Now it seems slow. Just remember to take your time - there's no reason to feel rushed, if the other players have to wait a few seconds for you to move too bad for them.

Damian UK
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
cheers mong - yeah had a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the chat box, so i turned it off, now I get bitched at for not chatting!!

LOL

been hard work this afternoon - played 6 sets of 4 - I am knackered!!

LOL

thanks for the encouragement

Damian

suited_ace
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
This will sound crazy to you at first, but you have more time to make your decisions than you think. One of my problems when I started multi-tabling was seeing all those tables blinking and trying to take 5 secs at most to make a decision.

Take your time, forget about the other tables just for a while and play the right way.

Also, I found that playing in sets is easier in the beginning.

downtown
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I started to multitable on limit, and I started when I got bored with just playing one table. The transition for me to playing 4 STTs was natural. Just add a table until you feel that playing 2 is the same as playing 1, then 3 is the same as 2, etc. up to a reasonable limit.

I think I just got bored with 2, and then 3 at once, so I would just add another. I have 8-tabled, but I'm not doing it anymore until I get another one of those snazzy dell lcds. I wouldn't advise playing overlapping tables, though some do and have no problem with it.

Gramps
08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
When I first started playing online poker, I had trouble following the action at one table. I stayed with one table for 5 months, then went to 2-3 for a while, etc., etc., now I 8-table.

Stick with 1-2 until you're comfortable with 2. Then you can try 3, etc.

jgunnip
08-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Yep, good advice. I moved up from one table, then two tables, then three and four. I suggest playing two at a time first. When you get to the point that you're just sitting there waiting for something to happen/reading these forums in between moves, then add another table.

Freudian
08-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Why would you fourtable if you are not comfortable twotabling.

Just twotable until you start feeling like you are getting bored (and you will). Then add another table. Rinse and repeat.

bjb23
08-15-2005, 07:14 PM
what ever happened to 12-tablers? did this style go out of fashion? was it just too difficult to maintain?

seems like 8 tabling is the preference these days.

to damian (op),
what site are you playing on? i only ask because the sites with deeper stacks/ slower blind escalation require more postflop play and are therefore more difficult to multitable (imo). i think the way to go is start with the lowest limits and gradually increase tables. then go up a limit and start with less tables and increase accordingly.

remember, adding more tables decreases expected roi, therefore it would behoove you to have a bigger bankroll than you would ordinarily have for just single tabling.

microbet
08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
That's been my approach too; adding one table at time when I feel like I have time to spare.

Damian UK
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I play on VCpoker & Sporting odds

VC starting chips 2K, S/O 1.5K

So yes you do see more post flop play as people have deeper stacks.

Thanks for the all the advice guys, have stepped down to 2 tables at the mo, going to have a bash at three at the weekend. Am playing the 50c/$1/$2 tables to get a feel for it - seems to be going ok - but then the standard of play is really poor /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Damian

[ QUOTE ]

to damian (op),
what site are you playing on? i only ask because the sites with deeper stacks/ slower blind escalation require more postflop play and are therefore more difficult to multitabl

[/ QUOTE ]

Ogre
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
play on party or a skin. you will multitable easier with higher hourly rate.

ripped
08-16-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

remember, adding more tables decreases expected roi, therefore it would behoove you to have a bigger bankroll than you would ordinarily have for just single tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone keeps saying this but when I went from 4 tabling to 8 tabling there was no difference in ROI..In fact I am doing better now with ROI as I fixed some bubble leaks in my game. I guess some peoples ROI drops some when moving up tables but this is not the same for everyone.

ripped
08-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Im just about to buy 2 more dells and start 12-16 tabling. I find 8 a piece of cake now and seem to have time to do other things while 8 tabling. I am going to try and be the first 2+2er to 16 table these things. I know my ROI will drop when moving to 16 tabling but my hourly rate will be incredible.

wish me luck.

bjb23
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone keeps saying this but when I went from 4 tabling to 8 tabling there was no difference in ROI..In fact I am doing better now with ROI as I fixed some bubble leaks in my game. I guess some peoples ROI drops some when moving up tables but this is not the same for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, my original statement implied that the expected roi for a certain person's "A game" will be less when multitabling than single tabling. of course, if you weren't playing your "A game" while 4 tabling and only learned your "A game" while 8 tabling then obviously your roi will go up (because you have gotten better by "fixing leaks"!!!) it should be noted that the "A game" is a theoretical concept and is merely used for illustrative purposes here. im not entirely sure if an "A game" actually exists. but i digress.

the point is, your roi went up because you got better at the game, not because you increased tables. so my initial statement stands, assuming the same skill level, the greater the number of tables the less your actual roi will be. (excluding some individual psychological factors that i wont discuss here).

unless you want to argue that by decreasing the reads you have on your opponents and the amount of undivided attention each individual game receives you somehow can perform with greater efficacy in beating the game.

bjb23
08-16-2005, 03:51 PM
im pretty sure rapt already tried 16 tabling, although i could be wrong... in any event, im quite sure you wont be the first.

good luck on your insane attempt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ripped
08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Ty and I know it wont be easy as I dont know anyone that does 16 table STT's on a regular basis but if I can get used to it, well, damn..lol

Only problem is when I bought my 2 dells all I had to buy was the dells. With 2 more dells I have to buy another video card and mount and then figure out how to get it all going. I think when I finally start 16 tabling I will give 2+2 some weekly numbers or start my own blog so anyone interested can read how I'm doing if they are interested.