PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 ... is it me or ...

fuzzbox
08-15-2005, 05:39 AM
If I raise preflop, and bet the flop, I tend to get called by players who have a set (and not much else).

Obviously this is not true against the loosey gooseys, but against the "standard" 2/4 player, Im noticing that Im getting hammered when I have an big pair that flops an overpair.

Any thoughts on this statement ? Is it true ? Or is my table selection just terrible ?

donny5k
08-15-2005, 05:44 AM
How much are you raising preflop? If this is even close to true against certain players, why not keep track of those players and steal from them more than usual, while trying not to lose your stack with an overpair.

SNOWBALL138
08-15-2005, 05:48 AM
If people are only calling your flop bets with trips or better, start raising trash preflop, and shutting down on 4th street.

Seriously though, I think you need to raise more preflop, and slow down on the flop, turn and river. You are never trying to play for your whole stack with one pair.

Another question:
Are you always betting the size of the pot on the flop and fourth street? If so, you may be betting an amount that will only get called by better hands, AND pot committ you to your one pair. This is a recipe for disaster against tight, deceptive opponents.

I recommend trying bets of 1/2-2/3 of the pot instead.

Also, please read Reuben and Ciaffone's book Pot Limit and no Limit poker.

fuzzbox
08-15-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If people are only calling your flop bets with trips or better, start raising trash preflop, and shutting down on 4th street.

Seriously though, I think you need to raise more preflop, and slow down on the flop, turn and river. You are never trying to play for your whole stack with one pair.

Another question:
Are you always betting the size of the pot on the flop and fourth street? If so, you may be betting an amount that will only get called by better hands, AND pot committ you to your one pair. This is a recipe for disaster against tight, deceptive opponents.

I recommend trying bets of 1/2-2/3 of the pot instead.

Also, please read Reuben and Ciaffone's book Pot Limit and no Limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read that, thanks.
No, I dont always make full pot bets after the flop. 2/3s tends to be my kind of standard, but I vary between check and 2/3s - full pot after the flop.

Im not trying to play for my stack with one pair, but I am finding that its a right pain when they only call me after the flop with trips.

Yes I also raise with trash, at which point villains seem to be seeing into my soul, and giving me action when I have nothing, and not giving me action when *I* floppped a set/good hand.

Perhaps Im just feeling unloved by the deck.