PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Dogs Human Food

08-15-2005, 05:11 AM
Hello,

My mother in law feeds her dog everything from the table. She goes as far as to make him his own plate of whatever they are eating for dinner and sometimes even hand feeding him from the plate(very disturbing).

The little guy is getting kind of fat and has trouble breathing. She loves the dog very much and doesn't seem to notice she is slowly killing it.

Is human food really that bad for dogs? Does everyone feed their dogs fatty, greasy food? How do break it to her that she could be setting it up for a heart attack?

-Jeff

kurosh
08-15-2005, 05:16 AM
"Keep feeding your dog unhealthy human food and it will die."

juanez
08-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Feeding dogs "human food" is a bad idea IMHO. If nothing else, it encourages begging when you are eating yourself...totally annoying. My vet basically say's that beef bones are cool, no pork or chicken bones. Other than that, no human food at all (unless you have the means to feed them steaks).

I can leave a T-bone on my living room table and leave the room and my dogs wouldn't go near it. They get the bones afterward every time and have learned to wait for the reward.

My X girlfriends dogs would beg endlessly while we were eating and it drove me nuts.

Luzion
08-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Ive been on forums with some dog owners that dont "believe" in dog food. What I mean is that many dog foods can contain some unhealthy addictives or just general things that the dog might be allergic to. So the dog owners would mix up some stuff like rice, carrots, and chicken or something, and give it to the dogs to eat. Supposedly this is just as healthy and encourages clean pooping as dog food would.

My dog eats human food from the table occasionaly; in fact its recommended that you feed your dog some rice, chicken, and some cheese if the dog has diarrhea or gotten sick... as least my vet said so. I guess it really just depends on how nutritious the human food is.

mackthefork
08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
The high salt content is what f$%ks them up, salt is poison to dogs, give them too much they will keel over.

Mack