PDA

View Full Version : Tournament backer.

DeadMoney
03-27-2003, 11:35 PM
My boss has said that he would back me in one of the WSOP tourney's. If I were to take him up on that, does anybody know what kind of deal I should propose that would be fair to both of us?

Jimbo
03-28-2003, 12:20 AM
If your nickname (DeadMoney) is any indication of reality you would be better off negotiating for a raise instead. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sorry that this was no help but you would make a great straight-man if you decide to choose another career! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Easy E
03-28-2003, 02:44 PM
If you are more interested in going, and gaining the experience as a result, cut him in for a higher percentage (2/3? more?). You get to play, you get "free" money for bankroll if you do succeed, and reward makes it worth his risk (I'm assuming he's bankrolling 100%)

One problem- if you do well, and he wants to do it again, raising your cut may be tough.

Who is picking up expenses?

And set expectations early- you probably won't win money. That way, anything is a bonus.

Greg (FossilMan)
03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
For a single event, he would be foolish to give you more than a 10-15% freeroll, and that's assuming you're notably above average for the field. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't ask for more, just that he'll be making a losing deal.

If he were going to back you for 50 or more events, where your cut was a percentage of the total net profit for all events combined, then a split of 50:50 is quite fair.

In between, you can do the math.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)