PDA

View Full Version : Playing AK in EXTREMELY Large Pots

08-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (28 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (21 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (34 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 39 BB

I think I played this poorly on every street! I'm never sure what to do when the pot is THIS large. I mean.. if I lead out with a bet on the flop, there's already 29 bets in there. In retrospect, I don't think "protecting my hand" is important here, so I might as well let people call with 30:1 or greater odds and hope someone re-raises. I have TPTK and it won't get much better. No matter what the next cards are, I'll still think I'm ahead unless the betting action is REALLY heavy.

On the turn I made another error. I should have just bet out and called any raises.

And the river... I should have value bet.

It makes me sick how terribly I played the hand.

Kumubou
08-15-2005, 03:05 AM
In a pot bloated beyond the size of fat chicks in party hats, you can forget about protecting your hand -- it's impossible. Just raise raise raise for value and hope you are good (because you have everyone beat more than 1 in 6 times, at leaat).

With that said, 3-bet the flop. There is just too much goddamn overlay to give up here, and any fold you could induce at this point would probably be good.

-K

SoftcoreRevolt
08-15-2005, 03:06 AM
You absolutely need to bet this river.

The flop and turn I'm not so sure of due to how odd the preflop betting was. Normally I bet out on the flop, but due to your position on the LRR a check raise might be better.

After checking the flop like that, the turn check raise is your best option.

I think I bet out and 3 bet the flop though, since UTG1 is likely full of [censored], and a raise from him won't blow out the field anyway.

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Your table selection is amazing. I'd be shocked if you didn't have the best hand on the river judging by the action on the turn. Bet the river, take down an enormous pot. If the button just decided to check the river through, that would be terrible.

Edit: Even though you feel as though you played this hand terribly, the way you played it maximized your profit (assuming you won). I'm not advocating playing it this way, but damn that is a freaking big pot for top pair (please tell me you won and link your friends to this post whenever they bitch about top pair not holding up in big pots).

Double Edit: Damn that pot is huge. If I were you, I think I might have thrown in a river check-raise, given that you checked the river and were somehow able to come to your sense. Honestly. Huge. I really do believe that the river is a close your eyes and hit the raise button situation. If you go down in flames, so be it.

Nick C
08-15-2005, 03:08 AM
It's not so awful.

Whoever ends up with the best hand will win, and no one is folding anything with a decent chance. The pot's just too damn big for that.

There are some different things you could have done. But on the river, for instance, if we take results into account, does it really matter that much if it was you or Button who put in the bet?

hemstock
08-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Wow
On the flop, lead with a bet. Button doesn't care for the ace and he tells you he can beat it. Propably a set or 2 pair.
The turn check raise looks really ugly.
River is good. You got top pair and the pot is large. Calling is fine.

Eeegah
You think you played this bad...looking at SB's turn makes me chuckle.

Weird hand though. UTG+1 obviously doesn't have Aces; did he just want to see a big pot?

You're right though; hand protection is impossible as even facing 3 cold won't be enough to shut out gutshots on the flop. I would bet this river for sure, but all you can do is fire and pray.

Shillx
If the pot weren't so big, I like the plan of taking it easy on the flop and then trying for a turn check/raise. The problem is that the pot is so damn big that nothing is going to fold. I'm just ramming and jamming this baby and praying that it holds.

Brad

08-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Believe it or not... TPTK did hold up in this ridiculous pot!

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The way you made your post indicated this. Nice hand. CR the river next time /images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and make sure to thank UTG for screaming "GAMBOOOOOOL."

hemstock
08-15-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shant
08-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Bet the flop.

bottomset
08-15-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep and how do you get purple name status?

shant
08-15-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep and how do you get purple name status?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3132740&amp;Fo rum=f20&amp;Words=contest&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=3 132740&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=36&amp;daterange =1&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post3132740)