PDA

View Full Version : Progress

revlis87
08-15-2005, 02:39 AM
I have been playing online poker for about a year now... I am 18 years old and about to head to college. I have a bankroll of about 9.5 k (includes basically all my money - but some is in stocks, others is cash, etc... i feel comfortable doing this.) Anyway, i have worked my way uup from playing 2-4 limit to 10-20 limit (where my losses eventually drew me to NL)... I have gone from $100 rooms to $400 rooms as well. I feel like I am a strong LAG who is one of the sharks at the 400 rooms. Yesterday, I took a loss for 2500... which lowered my bankrtoll to its current level... The loss was spread between 10-20 (for some reason i decided to try it - $1000) a $30 rebuy gone bad and a $150 buy in on party and some $400...

Anyway, the bottom line is that I feel like I have stalled... Here we have edge making a post about how he has too much money and me... I dont have to pay for college and I have lived a life most kids my age cant dream of - big steak dinners, buying whateveer I want really (which isnt that much except a trip to Europe this summer that probably cost me in the neighborhood of 5k)... I would estimate I have made in the range of 30-35K overall on online poker... before i turned 18, i had to pay 35 % taxes on the winnings because they were in my father's name... ANYWAY - I want some advice as to what i should be doing now. I have a solid foundation for tournaments and a great foundation for cash games, but what am I missing? Why do do I feel like my progress is stalled? Am i just upset about last night which was my worst day, ever? I feel like 9-10 k is sort of a crossroads for those who really take off and those who cant take the next step... is it about taking shots or is it mental and i should grind at 400 nl... should i be playing sats to big tournies hoping for a big score or what?

Thanks guys - any and all help appreciated.

etizzle
08-15-2005, 03:25 AM
keep grinding, and take a shot at a bigger cash game every once in a while as your bankroll can handle it. You will be fine. Also, try to make sure to analyze all of the interesting hands you play each session.

Alex/Mugaaz
08-15-2005, 03:50 AM
You sound like a somewhat knowledge player, playing way above his skill level on a marginal bankroll. One who suffers from tilt, chasing losses, and changing games for no specific reason. My suggestion is wake up or start taking college a lot more seriously since you'll be busting out soon.

Pick one game, post some hands. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, this is how I read this post.

Neurotoxin
08-15-2005, 04:00 AM
I hope youre taking money out for this years taxes as well. Stock purchases and sales are reported to the IRS, so you can't just not file.