PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a set - how's my line

jskills
08-15-2005, 12:27 AM
UTG+1 is slightly loose aggressive.
UTG+2 is loose passive.
UTG is gambler type who is rather bad (will call down with gutshots, bottom pair, etc.)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 max, 10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Yes, I could have donked the flop. But the way it went, it actually worked out better since I forced 2 of 3 opponents to have to call two bets cold.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero ?.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Almost certainly rivered, does anyone make this fold?

Shillx
08-15-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't understand why you checked the river here. It is hard to fear this river card much when UTG and UTG+2 will call down with any pair.

Brad

toss
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I think betting the flop hoping to get raised is also another option.

08-15-2005, 12:36 AM
This one is tough - with the UTG being a described caller with any draw he might have caught the flush - however he could also have been calling with A8o or J8s and caught top pair on the flop and possibly 2 pair on the river. I think I would call given the pot size and the number of marginal hands he could have called with besides the flush.

08-15-2005, 12:50 AM
NEVER make this fold. The pot is too big. Call it down for the last bet. He raised UTG so he could have a big pair or AK. Don't give him credit for two clubs. That is a scare card but he was the original raiser preflop. Call this EVERYTIME.

jskills
08-15-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you checked the river here. It is hard to fear this river card much when UTG and UTG+2 will call down with any pair.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually a bit shell shocked from a series of suckouts at this point I think (just lost AA vs K8o to this guy). He didn't seem to bet without having a strong hand, but he loved to call down with just about anything else. I really felt that one of the two opponents could have made the flush, so I thought check / calling (maybe even inducing a bluff from a worse hand) was the way to go.

Sure enough, he showed me T9o for a straight of all things.

jskills
08-15-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NEVER make this fold. The pot is too big. Call it down for the last bet. He raised UTG so he could have a big pair or AK. Don't give him credit for two clubs. That is a scare card but he was the original raiser preflop. Call this EVERYTIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called (and lost) of course. But the river bettor was not the preflop raiser BTW.

Dopey
08-15-2005, 06:53 AM
So you thought check/calling the river was the best line to try and induce a bluff if your ahead or the protect you if they caught up.

Given your reads I would still bet the river, your play is not nessecarily a bad line either but.....

Why would you consider folding then if part of your river check was to induce a bluff?

Dopey /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thejameser
08-15-2005, 08:30 AM
very draw heavy board. you got some bets in on the flop. turn is automatic unless i have an aggro player in one of the UTG's which i would have smoothcalled flop and raised turn. such board texture might promote the draws taking a free card so that would be less optimal, i think. but i lead the river, regardless. one thing, all of the cold-calls, passive turn play, and then a river awakening tells me a draw got there. might be a two pair draw, but could very-well be the straight or flush as well. more than often enough you are good to lead here, though.

Nick Royale
08-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I like the way you play it until you check the river. Bet and pay off a raise.

EDIT: I would have bet the flop...

Nick Royale
08-15-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually a bit shell shocked from a series of suckouts at this point I think (just lost AA vs K8o to this guy).

[/ QUOTE ]
As you know this is no reason to check.

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't seem to bet without having a strong hand, but he loved to call down with just about anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
And this is a great reason to bet.