PDA

View Full Version : A Live Hand DeathDonkey Told Me To Post (NC)

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Live 3/6 at the Desert Diamond.

Some history before the hand: Villain in this hand is an idiot LAG. In a prior hand he went 4 bets on the flop versus my friend with Q high. My friend had pocket 8s and villain rivered him with a Q.

Now, villain has about 70 bucks in chips in front of him - I have him covered.

I'm dealt JJ utg and I raise. Villain cold-calls, everyone else folds. The flop comes 852, suits irrelevant. I bet out, villain raises, I three bet, he four bets. At this point, I'm thinking "what the hell?" Now, Desert Diamond has no cap on heads up betting, so I say "fine, five." Villain instantly says six...

How many bets do we go?

Results to follow.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Well, if he had 70 PF, his cold call makes for 58 on the flop. The cap makes it 34, his 6-bet makes it 22, so you can get in four more bets.

Do it.

Edit: Whoops, he already 6-betted.

Double Edit: See below

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:32 PM
These are small bets, not big bets. 3 dollars a pop.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:34 PM
I am stupid.

Shillx
Gonna pull a Mike l. and go 13-bets with the Jakes? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I like going 13 here (and folding to a 14-bet of course) just so I can laugh my ass off. That alone should be worth it.

BTW - That would be about as good as Chris 4-betting the flop and instamucking to a 5-bet when he held top pair against top set. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brad

Hojglad
[ QUOTE ]
I am stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's ok, so am I.

AdamL
08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Has he ever gone to six bets before? If so what did he have? When will he stop raising and start calling?

I say keep going until you get to a point where this is out of character, even for him, and then call down from there.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
So in this case, he's thrown in 8 bets already, leaving him with 46, meaning you can get 15 more bets out.

I don't really have experience with this kind of situation. For argument's sake I'll say get everything in.

I'm gonna take a shot and say that's what your friend did and villain showed QQ or some such

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has he ever gone to six bets before? If so what did he have? When will he stop raising and start calling?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he hadn't. That's only because everyone else at the table was too much of a nit to make it 5. Suffice it to say he had an annoyed look on his face when I made it 5.

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna take a shot and say that's what your friend did and villain showed QQ or some such

[/ QUOTE ]
The intro I gave was in a previous hand. These Jacks were mine.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right then.

I'm gonna guess that you got everything in and lost to QQ or some such. Actually, my intuition tells me KK, and my intuition is infallible.

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right then.

I'm gonna guess that you got everything in and lost to QQ or some such. Actually, my intuition tells me KK, and my intuition is infallible.

[/ QUOTE ]
You honestly think a maniac cold calls with KK or QQ?

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Stranger things have happened.

I've run into more than one maniac who has slowed down with a monster because he saw Chris Moneymaker do it once on ESPN and he thought he was really cool because he did so.

Shillx
08-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Did you honestly think I would cold call with AA? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Ok, so how many bets do you go before you give him credit for a better hand? Keep in mind, he capped a multiway pot with Q high in a previous hand.

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Did you honestly think I would cold call with AA? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, and you got pwned anyway.

DeathDonkey
08-14-2005, 11:49 PM
I have no recollection of what your talking about??? Also, you won't have to worry about this situation as we both know you fold JJ in such early position.

-DeathDonkey

hemstock
Is he the kind of guy that watched a wsop episode and went there to take a real-man-risk with a straight draw?

shant
J is the tenth letter in the alphabet, so 10 bet it.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so how many bets do you go before you give him credit for a better hand? Keep in mind, he capped a multiway pot with Q high in a previous hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get everything in.

Hojglad
08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he the kind of guy that watched a wsop episode and went there to take a real-man-risk with a straight draw?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. All I know is what I told you, this happened relatively early in the session (~1.5 hours in).

Paxosmotic
08-14-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your screenname is purple? <font color="purple">Your screenname is purple!</font>

shant
08-14-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your screenname is purple? <font color="purple">Your screenname is purple!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">I know I'm so cool.</font>

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you fold to an 11 bet or just call down?

Pylos
08-15-2005, 12:09 AM
JJ is always a loser, fold preflop.

Seriously though, I had a hand like this recently at the Bike in LA and looked down at my stack and asked him how much he had. Then I asked him if he wanted to go all in. He called down to show a loser.

hemstock
08-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Do they allow you to go all in in limit? Or do you have to keep raising till one of the two has nothing left?

Shillx
08-15-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do they allow you to go all in in limit? Or do you have to keep raising till one of the two has nothing left?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can go all-in if both people agree. There is no such rule against it.

Brad

shant
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not putting in ten bets and folding.

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not putting in ten bets and folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even for metagame purposes? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pylos
08-15-2005, 04:22 AM
So... what did he have and how much did you donk to him? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thesanch
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm the friend of which tehmatt speaks. I can assure you that this dude is one of the stupidest lags I have ever seen.

Here are some examples:

-Like matt said he capped the flop when he only had overcards.
-We taught him how to straddle. He bet out every street BLIND no matter the action on the previous streets. So if someone raised on the flop, he'd call the raise and bet out on the turn.
-He raised PF with the nut low ( 23o ) and bet every street, only to river two pair.

Therefore, tehmatt's play brilliant IMO.

-TheSanch

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So... what did he have and how much did you donk to him? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok fine. I was feeling a bit frisky at the time. After he insta-six bet me, I insta-seven bet him, to which he responded "eight." So at this point, I'm pissed. I say "nine." He says "all-in." I insta-call.

After I did this I just thought to myself "what the hell are you doing? It's only a pair." I had about 1 minute or so to think about how dumb I was while the dealer matched off my chips with his. I must say though, the only reason I called his all-in and not a 10 bet is because of how annoyed he looked when I 5-bet him. People with the nuts don't look annoyed when you 5-bet them heads up. It was suspenseful, too (we hadn't turned over our cards). When it finally comes time to do it, he tables...... 77?!?!?! What the hell. Anyway, the turn came an 8 and the river was a J. MHIG and I scoop a monster pot. Some old dude at the table gave me a nasty look like "stupid WPT kids." The rest of the table has no idea what just happened, and the maniac is absolutely steaming. He then proceeds to do what any idiot maniac would do after something like this happened to him and goes to the ATM to reload.

As thesanch already pointed out, he proceeded to straddle my blinds for the rest of the night. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up any hands worth playing nevermind three betting. The primary reason I posted this whole schpiel is because situations like this in live games are important. If you are against an idiot maniac, and you can get it all in with what is almost certainly the best of it, you are missing out on a lot of profit by not doing it. It's a high variance play, but hey, so is playing against a maniac.

Also, me and DeathDonkey just wanted to prove how nitty microers are. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thesanch
08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm the king of the nits.

Pylos
08-15-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"stupid WPT kids."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"stupid WPT kids."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nit.

shant
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Awesome. You should've pulled a Mattias Anderson at the river and gone "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

GrunchCan
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Love it. I woulda played it the same as you, except on one of the bets I would have appended, "bitch".

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome. You should've pulled a Mattias Anderson at the river and gone "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

[/ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking about using my cell phone to pull a Bill Filmaff and call Mary Kate and Ashley Olson. I would, of course, follow this up with a backsplash onto the table.

Hojglad
08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Love it. I woulda played it the same as you, except on one of the bets I would have appended, "bitch".

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally make it a point to not be rude during live play. It's -EV to be rude to an ATM. However, I must admit, saying "make it 9, bitch" sounds sort of cool.