PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this "wrong" play?

lonehunter
03-27-2003, 08:31 PM
This is short-handed 20-40 Stud/8 at the Bike in L.A. It is the third must-move table, there are two main games that we are waiting to be moved into and the players are turning over rapidly. I bought in short knowing that I was moving soon. This is the third hand that I played in for the last hour; I am being relatively selective.
It is 5 handed. 2 brings it in, J folds, I complete to 20 with JK/J. Behind me a 7 raises and a 5 calls, bring-in folds and I call. I raised because even though one of my Js is dead, I am the highest card on board with all low cards behind me. The XX/7 has been aggressively raising everything for the past hour. I believe he may have reraised simply because there was a dead J on 3rd street and I think he did not have a big pair or a strong low.

4th street:
xx/72
xx/5K
JK/JK
I bet, both call.

5th street:
xx/727 - bets out
xx/5K5 - calls
JK/JK8 - ?

Now I "know " this is a fold. BUT,... this hand will be played for high most likely. I put one or both of them on trips and I had only two outs (1 K, 1 J). However, I have only $60 left. So I can see 7th street for 1.5 big bets and hope to draw out as an underdog. I am getting ~6.5 to 1 to call.
I later was asking another experienced player about this hand and he stated that under the circumstances he may have made the play. Would you make this all-in bet knowing that you are drawing very thin?

All comments appreciated,
KeithO

Andy B
03-27-2003, 08:46 PM
With $60 left, I think you have a call. The 7s could have pocket Queens or a four-card low. Would the other guy really call $40 with a pair of Fives? I don't know what else to put him on, though. I think that there's a reasonable chance that you have the best hand.

lonehunter
03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
I was hoping to get a little more input, but the reason I posted was NOT because someone lambasted me for making a bad play and I was looking for confirmation fo doing the right thing from my peers. It was because I thought that making this play may be a leak in my game, particuarly if I was rationalizing poor play. Sometimes it is hard to maintain perfect discipline when you are running bad. I was looking for more of the pyscological aspects of dealing with difficult decisions under pressure.

Results:
7th street:
x7/7272/x
x5/5K5x/x
me:
JK/JK8x/Q

They both had trips as I suspected. x7/7 reraised on 3rd with just a pair of 7s and x5/5 called the raise!. I did have only 2 outs on 5th.

If this were Stud high would it be correct to chase given the pot size and 2 opponents (Ray or Mason)?

Andy B
03-29-2003, 08:04 PM
If you knew that one of your opponents had trips, and you had only the dead two pair, it would be incorrect to call, even in high only, as you're playing to only the two outs. If your cards had been live, it would have been a lot better, since if you fill, your full house will always beat either of theirs. I would have been slow to put either of these guys on trips as I said earlier.