PDA

View Full Version : List of 5 greatest Reggae Cd's

12-13-2001, 06:25 PM
needed by uncle trying to complete Xmas shopping. I never liked reggae, with the exception of Babylon by Bus.

12-13-2001, 07:53 PM
Sorry. All the reggae sounds the same to me. All I'd need is one CD on continuous play. Wait, that's why I hate reggae. The guys next door to me in college had only one reggae CD and would get so stoned they couldn't move and it would play over and over on their CD continuous play. Still can't listen to any Bob Marley or any Pink Floyd, which seemed to be their only 2 CD's.

12-13-2001, 11:03 PM
There is some really hard core stuff, but some is easy to listen to like

Bob Marley's hits

UB40

Peter Tosh

12-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Phat Mack,

I like Ratso's choices. But you can go to www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com) and look them up. You can listen to short clips and read the reviews. List the albums by most popular and look up what people who bought those albums bought. Generally, Amazon will have lists and links and you will end up with good choices.

Regards,

Rick

12-14-2001, 07:18 AM
The all time best reggae album, hands down, bar none, no contest, is Bob Marley's "Kaya." Otherwise, I'm not so up to date on them, but another (older) good one is Jimmy Cliff's "Give Thanks." Peter Tosh's "Mama Africa" is good too. There's a very good, raw sounding album by a somewhat obscure group, The Abyssinians, called "Arise." But I doubt it's available now. Third World's "96 Degrees in the Shade" is supposed to be very good. Those are all probably considered "classic" reggae by now, as I haven't kept up with it. But they helped get me through college.

12-14-2001, 07:30 AM
Listening to the first couple of samples on amazon, this Abyssinian cd has a sound similar to the one I mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000042Q/ref%3Dnosim/iriedutchbelgian/103-6284437-4331827

This is the real stuff.

12-14-2001, 12:40 PM
1. Two Sevens Clash by Culture

2. Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost by Burning Spear

3. Survival by Bob Marley

4. Equal Rights by Peter Tosh

5. Sinsemilla by Black Uhuru

KJS

12-14-2001, 02:44 PM
Anything by the now defunct English Beat is very good. Third World, Jimmy Cliff, UB40, Steel Pulse, Ziggy Marley, and Bob Marley are also good.

12-14-2001, 10:54 PM
1. Catch a fire - Bob Marley. This is the the album that defined reggae and from which all others were influenced. Can't believe any other Marley album was mentioned before this one. Bob united an ENTIRE country with this album.

2. Black Uhuru - Liberation. Vibrant. Michael Rose is a genius.

3. Steel Pulse - Sound system. Anthology. Even though I hate compilations and box sets, there are several great albums to chose from here, so go for the "best of".

4. Peter Tosh - Mama Africa. Excellent. Tosh in his prime.

5. Jimmy Cliff - The harder they come... Soundtrack. This is a cult-classic that inspired countless musicians. Classic.

Hope this helps.

Adam.

12-16-2001, 01:43 AM
The same thing happened to me in college. The guys in the next dorm room played Bridge Over Troubled Waters repeatedly. I'd get a break on Saturdays, however. They'd put on their dueling shirts and bell bottoms, grab their guitars, and go out to coffee shops looking for gigs on the folk circuit.

12-16-2001, 01:45 AM
Good advice about amazon. But I get lost for hours sampling songs, and I haven't even hit the reggae stuff yet.