PDA

View Full Version : im very cynical about investing

KaneKungFu123
08-14-2005, 10:49 PM
people list all these numbers and ideas, and route of everything is speculation. its gotta suck to put your money into some stock/fund and find out the declining dollar value offset by the liquidation of large cap firms assests to cover the tax costs of rising oil and hihg yeild bond fond blah blah blah....

cause you to lose 50% of your money in 4 monthes.

whole thing seems like a scam.

at least with real estate you can touch it. its real. it exists.

i miss the old days when people invested in land and cattle and gold for cristsakes. you can hold and admire gold.

yep, ole kane is jsut gonna start buying acres up in florida or something.

ill take the rest and have fun when i am young.

then yall can worry about numbers on paper and your 11%.

OUT.

TGoldman
08-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Your cynicism regarding financial markets is amusing considering your main source of income comes from a form of gambling. I suspect more Americans would be willing to call poker a riskier venture than the stock market. But those are just perceptions. Best of luck with the Kung Fu Ranch.

KaneKungFu123
08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
poker might be riskier for them, not for me.

i can analyze my play based on mathmatical truthes, not speculation.

[ QUOTE ]
Your cynicism regarding financial markets is amusing considering your main source of income comes from a form of gambling. I suspect more Americans would be willing to call poker a riskier venture than the stock market. But those are just perceptions. Best of luck with the Kung Fu Ranch.

[/ QUOTE ]

FishHooks
08-15-2005, 12:48 AM
You can't win in the big games with just math, in those games, everyone knows the poker math.

TStoneMBD
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
the hysterias of bubbles and deflations will be catastrophic to your florida acreage hoarding if these rumors hold more validity than that of the y2k bug.

snowbank
08-15-2005, 01:03 AM
yep, ole kane is jsut gonna start buying acres up in florida or something.

Are you going to be buying land that you have done research on or just buying on speculation? If it's speculation, I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of people make some quick money on that, but a lot of people just tie up money and buy because other people are doing it, but they don't even know what they are buying? What makes you pick Florida? Obviously that is one of the hottest states for real estate right now, but what area of Florida are you going to be buying in? Do you know the area or or you buying because other people are buying in Florida and you heard "Florida is hot?" I'm real interested in what you have to say. I'm glanced at a bunch of your posts about a bunch of stocks you want to get into, and all the sudden you are going to buy a bunch of real estate instead. How did you come to this decision besides, "you can touch it?" I agree real estate is the way to go, but I'd like to hear how you decided on that all of the sudden.

08-15-2005, 02:18 AM
No offense but, of course you believe real estate is the way to go. Just like you thought tech stocks were the wave of the future in the 90's, junk bonds in the 80's, gold in the 70's, airliners in the 50's, railroads, etc. etc. the list goes on and on. Sure, you are making more on your investment when you are putting down a fraction of your money in real estate, but what happens when that real estate goes down? Your original investment and then some goes way down. Real estate will fall, just like every other fad investment has.

snowbank
08-15-2005, 10:51 AM
but what happens when that real estate goes down? Your original investment and then some goes way down. Real estate will fall, just like every other fad investment has.

That's why you don't invest on speculation. If you know what you are doing, you can make money in an up or down market. It doesn't matter.

FishHooks
08-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Just advice for this guy:

If you going to invest in land in florida, look at Lehigh Acres. Pretty cheap land for florida standards and its the new boom here in southwest florida. I dont think this housing bubble pertains that much to southwest florida. Supply is so great when like 500 people a day move to florida. The housing boom down here took off way before intrest rates when to an all time low. Heck my city down here in FortMyers/Cape Coral is the 2nd fastest growing city in the nation. You should check into SW florida if your serious about real estate.

P.S. My friend's dad baught land for his house 2 acres for about 30k the next week a guy offered to pay him twice that amount.

bobman0330
08-15-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend's dad baught land for his house 2 acres for about 30k the next week a guy offered to pay him twice that amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as he isn't speculating...

imported_bingobazza
08-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Or buy oil stocks maybe? Hold gold in the last 30 years??...its sure pretty...but you'd be crying all the more. WTF are you trying to say...I have so much respect for you in MHNL. Dont destroy my confidence in you now.

Bingo

FishHooks
08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Yea I agree.

ggbman
08-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Of course the big difference in real estate is that by having rental properties, your investment can lose ground and you can still break even. Having properties with a high rent/ value ration can make for excellent investments.

08-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Or can hurt you when the rentors trash the place after not renewing their lease (this coming from a person who has seen it happen on multiple occasions with rentors who were very nice people and checked up perfectly).

Dan Mezick
08-16-2005, 09:35 AM
At Foxwoods last fall WORLD POKER TOUR World Poker Finals I got to play alot of SnG satellites. There was this fellow next to me, a retired young grandfather about 60 or a little younger. He was on Wall Street his whole career.

He told me he does not get involved at all in stocks or markets generally, after all the stuff he had seen occur in the markets during his long career.

He now drives an ambulance as volunteer part time. he was obviously very well off and echoed alot of these same sentiments about the intangibility of financial assets.

KaneKungFu123
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
im not being serious. mostly just joking. i understand real estate and land revolves around speculation as well.

as a poker player, i like having control. i dont like leaving things to chance. there are so many varibles involved with investing, its sickening.

i guess the key is diversifaction. holla.

KaneKungFu123
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
i just want to point out, that when someone makes the correct decision to buy or sell, then someone else made the inverse bad decision.

sometimes i feel like people tout the market as so easy to beat and make money. tell that to enron shareholders.

greg nice
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just want to point out, that when someone makes the correct decision to buy or sell, then someone else made the inverse bad decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would make the stock market a zero sum game, which people have said here that it is not. there was a small discussion on this a few weeks ago.

bobman0330
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

sometimes i feel like people tout the market as so easy to beat and make money. tell that to enron shareholders.

[/ QUOTE ]

My embryonic study of investing has indicated to me that the key is not to treat stocks as so many baseball cards, but rather as real ownership of a small part of various enterprises. If you take that into account, then your statement does not hold true.

For example, I buy 10,000 shares of Enterprise A 25 years ago. Enterprise A has grown by leaps and bounds and my shares are worth a ton. (The stock market price currently reflects the approximately correct price for my holdings.) I retire and decide to sell my shares to finance my new yacht. I sell them to you, and you buy them because Enterprise A offers high dividends and will provide a stable source of income while protecting your principal. Who's making a bad decision here?

KaneKungFu123
08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My embryonic study of investing has indicated to me that the key is not to treat stocks as so many baseball cards, but rather as real ownership of a small part of various enterprises. If you take that into account, then your statement does not hold true.

For example, I buy 10,000 shares of Enterprise A 25 years ago. Enterprise A has grown by leaps and bounds and my shares are worth a ton. (The stock market price currently reflects the approximately correct price for my holdings.) I retire and decide to sell my shares to finance my new yacht. I sell them to you, and you buy them because Enterprise A offers high dividends and will provide a stable source of income while protecting your principal. Who's making a bad decision here?

[/ QUOTE ]

but what about the times you are selling a stock because its about to go belly up. you sell it to someone else, and let them take the fall.

the market is appretiating, so it leaves room for more winners then losers, but there will be losers.

Sniper
08-16-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that when someone makes the correct decision to buy or sell, then someone else made the inverse bad decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't correct, the stock market is not a zero sum game.

Everyone that holds a stock is impacted by every buy and sell decision to which they are not involved, and to a smaller extent by every buy and sell decision on stocks they do not own. They are also impacted by the success of the underlying company and the economy in general.

The only true bad decision in the stock market is not educating yourself enough to be involved and smart about your decisions.

The stock market is one area where everyone can potentially be a winner.

imported_bingobazza
08-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Kane,

Keep your money here......you'll sleep well.

http://www.wickedlady.com/collectables/bis11.php

Bingo