PDA

View Full Version : The Sandman

TheBlueMonster
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
For those that have read this graphic novel series, what are your overall feelings about it? I've just "discovered" it and have read 2 books in 48 hrs. I think its fascinating.

sprmario
08-14-2005, 10:40 PM
if you like Sandman go read Neil Gaiman's novels. Good Omens, American Gods and Stardust are all great. Neverwhere was ok but not stellar.

Lawrence Ng
08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I read the few few chapters of American Gods and lost interest. It got too ditzy for my liking, but I do agree Neil Gaiman rocks as a writer.

davelin
08-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Arguably the greatest comic book series ever.

TheBlueMonster
08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Arguably the greatest comic book series ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, obviously since that's what the back of the book and amazon.com say...
I do think it's weird that I woke up as early as I could to finish the first book (guess I didn't like my dreams.....)

JaBlue
08-15-2005, 01:56 AM
I thought this was going to be about Mariano

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-15-2005, 02:07 AM
I have the first 6 and think they're amazing. I should get around to getting the rest.

I wish I hadn't gotten out of comic books. I was hardcore into them for about 2 years in high school.

HtotheNootch
08-15-2005, 02:21 AM
RULED ECW!!!!!

Dynasty
08-15-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
RULED ECW!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the equivalent of a baseball player dominating AAA.

Blarg
08-15-2005, 02:53 AM
Sometimes it's a little self-consciously hip, and some stories seem much better than others, but Gaiman is very imaginative and can be very good.

I think around issue 18 or so was a story called something like "The Dream of 1000 Cats," or at any rate, it was a story about how basically cats used to rule the world, and how dreams create reality. Really clever and fun. It's one of my favorite stories ever, period. It won best fantasy story of the year, and there was a big uproar about it because it was a comic, not a standard written story. But the thing was damn good, and it deserved the recognition, I think. The writing was as good as anything else you were going to find, format be damned.

There was also a great linked few stories about some serial killers that was great and presciently preceded movies like Natural Born Killers and the non-stop, exploitive usage of serial killers and sometimes the treatment of them as heroes and "cool" in movies and on what seems to be every other cop drama on t.v. these days. It was packaged in a collection called "The Doll's House," I think. Really, really good stuff, and, as noted, was a great predictor of what, though it seemed unthinkable and bizarrely over the top at the time, was actually culturally just around the corner.