PDA

View Full Version : AQo, why don't I let it go?

whittiphil
08-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Trying to move up to 10c/25c... keep getting knocked back down. Where did I go wrong on this hand... should I have folded preflop? I really wasn't getting odds to call the allin was I?

Villain (the one who didn't get allin by calling), was 40/3.64/2

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($22.90)
SB ($2.15)
BB ($13.35)
UTG ($20)
Hero ($56.70)
CO ($7.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $2.50, CO calls $2.50.

Flop: ($11.10) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.75</font>, CO calls $3.80 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $19.4</font>, Hero calls $11.65.

Turn: ($53.70) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($53.70) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $53.70

djoyce003
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
wow...this is pretty bad man. I think that was a pretty easy check fold on the flop. He's reraised, which generally means a premium holding....most of the time you see a reraise it's at a minimum QQ or AK....most people don't reraise much. If you flopped an ace or a Q I still wouldn't feel great about your hand, but i'd feel better than on this flop. I realize you are just taking a shot hoping he's on missed overs, but you are risking this situation as well, which burned you...just not worth it here IMO.

whittiphil
08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
thanks, I needed to hear that.

djoyce003
08-14-2005, 10:44 PM
this is an OK move against a preflop raiser....but it's bad against a preflop re-raiser...that's the difference. Had the guy just raised to $1 and you called, taking a stab would be better IMO.

crosse91
08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
the flop play is NO better no matter what.

djoyce003
08-14-2005, 10:58 PM
there is nothing wrong with taking a stab at a pot against a preflop raiser if you think he's on whiffed overs...if you never bet except when you have things, you will be easy to read. As long as you don't make a habit out of it on every flop, its ok occasionally.

crosse91
08-14-2005, 11:08 PM
and this makes the allin CALL after 2 all in players with ace high ok?

Triumph36
08-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Fold to the re-raise pre-flop. You're out of position with AQo, what are you hoping to hit here? It sounds weak-tight, but there's really no way to make this situation profitable - and calling here gets you into situations like this where you suddenly decide opponent 'must' have AK and will fold to your bet.

djoyce003
08-14-2005, 11:11 PM
no, I said the whole hand was bad. Leading the flop and calling the all-in were terrible. I was commenting that he might have been thinking he could steal this pot...and I was saying that if you want to try this move, do it when it's only been raised, not when it's been raised and reraised....IMO this was misplayed possibly on every street by hero.

erby
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you never bet except when you have things, you will be easy to read. As long as you don't make a habit out of it on every flop, its ok occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think that semi-bluffing when you have decent draw is a good way to keep people guessing...I mean...here, he might have to runner-runner QQ or the straight if he's called by AA...

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

djoyce003
08-14-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you never bet except when you have things, you will be easy to read. As long as you don't make a habit out of it on every flop, its ok occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think that semi-bluffing when you have decent draw is a good way to keep people guessing...I mean...here, he might have to runner-runner QQ or the straight if he's called by AA...

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware of that....that's why I said his line sucks here....its good at other times, but not against a preflop reraiser.

crosse91
08-14-2005, 11:58 PM
ok, no harm done.

08-15-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold to the re-raise pre-flop. You're out of position with AQo, what are you hoping to hit here? It sounds weak-tight, but there's really no way to make this situation profitable - and calling here gets you into situations like this where you suddenly decide opponent 'must' have AK and will fold to your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're just learning and wanting to move up, so I think the above is the most important thing for you to get from this. A-Q is a good hand and I normally open for a raise with it, but A-Q is also not a good hand. Anybody who reraises you a decent amount has you beat. If you're lucky they have jacks and you have two live cards, but normally, as djoyce said, you're looking at Q-Q, A-K, K-K, or A-A. The problem with callig is that you don't know what you want to hit. In fact, you probably should hope you don't hit anything, so you can just fold it and not lose anymore money. This is a standard beginner's mistake. Never call a real raise with A-Q, suited or not. If the guy is a retard, you can call a smallish raise, but I don't even normally do that.

So it's fine to raise with A-Q, but never call a raise with A-Q. This will save you a lot of money and frustration.

donny5k
08-15-2005, 05:52 AM
This hand demonstrates the difference between pocket tens and AQo. If hero had pocket tens he would've played the hand perfectly, demonstrating why you should lead into a preflop reraiser with a set. AQo has no good implied odds, only bad reverse implied odds, so while as a racing hand they are similar, AQo should be folded to the reraise preflop, and TT should call.

BigF
08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand demonstrates the difference between pocket tens and AQo. If hero had pocket tens he would've played the hand perfectly, demonstrating why you should lead into a preflop reraiser with a set. AQo has no good implied odds, only bad reverse implied odds, so while as a racing hand they are similar, AQo should be folded to the reraise preflop, and TT should call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about...

amoeba
08-15-2005, 01:02 PM
fold preflop to the reraise.