PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighting Question

ewile
08-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I was just watching Ultimate Fighting on TV. I'd never seen it before. A question: Alot of the fights ended where one guy would get the other in an "arm bar" and the guy would submit in like a second.

Is there sick pain in that first moment or does the guy just know that he can't get out and his arm is about to be snapped like a chicken wing. In other words, is it the pain in the moment or the anticipation of pain that causes such a rapid submission?

A_C_Slater
08-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Both.

asofel
08-14-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just watching Ultimate Fighting on TV. I'd never seen it before. A question: Alot of the fights ended where one guy would get the other in an "arm bar" and the guy would submit in like a second.

Is there sick pain in that first moment or does the guy just know that he can't get out and his arm is about to be snapped like a chicken wing. In other words, is it the pain in the moment or the anticipation of pain that causes such a rapid submission?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pain. In one of Royce Gracie's early ultimate fights he has a tough match with a young martial artist...royce wins, but it was closer than usual...he put the kid into a sick arm bar, popped his burcel(sp?) sack in his elbow...you could see the blood swelling under the surface...

So yes, its the pain and the fact that you could also have your arm snapped off in a few more seconds...

A_C_Slater
08-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Tim Silvia got his arm broken in an armbar. He didn't submit. The ref just stopped the fight when he noticed that Silvia's bone broke.

Anyone see that?

asofel
08-14-2005, 09:57 PM
that's pretty [censored] badass..

08-14-2005, 09:57 PM
If its the armbar that I'm thinking of, there is a lot of pain. It doesn't look painful but have your buddy do it very "lightly" to you and you will know how it feels. He could break your arm doing that so tell him to do it very gently. BTW, check out UFC on P2P. You won't believe your eyes. I saw about 200 different UFC movies on Emule. I'm currently downloading them. Have fun.

AngryCola
08-14-2005, 09:59 PM
What happened to you not being able to 'take it anymore'?

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=295131 0&Forum=,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=5 &Limit=25&Main=2950888&Search=true&where=&Name=414 31&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post2951310)

ewile
08-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the answers. I believe you guys so I'll pass on a live demo...thanks.

youtalkfunny
08-14-2005, 11:16 PM
I was taught in Basic Training that it only takes about 20 lbs of pressure to break an elbow.

Silva's arm snapping was sick. And he STILL wouldn't submit!

I saw the ref jump in once and stop a match when a guy had an arm-bar locked on. The loser protested that he had not tapped out. The ref replied, "I can't let him break your arm."

Lawrence Ng
08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If its the armbar that I'm thinking of, there is a lot of pain. It doesn't look painful but have your buddy do it very "lightly" to you and you will know how it feels. He could break your arm doing that so tell him to do it very gently. BTW, check out UFC on P2P. You won't believe your eyes. I saw about 200 different UFC movies on Emule. I'm currently downloading them. Have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links to videos plz or bittorent links plz. I want to know how to do this.

Lawrence

gumpzilla
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=295131 0&Forum=,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=5 &Limit=25&Main=2950888&Search=true&where=&Name=414 31&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post2951310)

[/ QUOTE ]

Those that live in glass houses (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2245725&Forum= ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=24&Limit=25&Main=2245 252&Search=true&where=&Name=16900&daterange=&newer val=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Pos t2245725) shouldn't throw stones.

tdarko
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone see that?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes i did. then a few months later had his belt taken away for testing positive for steroids.

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone see that?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes i did. then a few months later had his belt taken away for testing positive for steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the fight where frank mir broke his forearm was after his 4 month suspension for roids, and he was never stripped of the title like Josh Barnett was

tdarko
08-15-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actually the fight where frank mir broke his forearm was after his 4 month suspension for roids

[/ QUOTE ]
you are correct now that i think about it. my apologies for the incorrectness of my previous post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
actually the fight where frank mir broke his forearm was after his 4 month suspension for roids

[/ QUOTE ]
you are correct now that i think about it. my apologies for the incorrectness of my previous post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

its all good, that was a sick break though cause it took a replay to fully see what frank mir did, frank mir also [censored] up tank abbot with a nasty toe hold in their match. it was said that abbot was limping badly after the match backstage

tdarko
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

its all good, that was a sick break though cause it took a replay to fully see what frank mir did,

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and i loved how when rogan asked him about it he said the ref was stupid and that it wasnt broken, haha what a maniac.

AngryCola
08-15-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those that live in glass houses (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2245725&Forum= ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=24&Limit=25&Main=2245 252&Search=true&where=&Name=16900&daterange=&newer val=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Pos t2245725) shouldn't throw stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

And those who clearly have no concept of reality shouldn't use old cliches.
Actually, nobody should use them.

People dogged me with constant questions and BS about that, and I think it was (still is) completely fair to do so.

Having said that, I never created an alternate account called "ILIKEBIGASSES" to bitch about the mods repeatedly banning me. In fact, I never said, "I cant take it anymore," either. I could easily take it, but chose not to. Anyway, it wasn't at all the same sort of situation. But even if it had been, I would still understand people bringing it up and asking questions.

cold_cash
08-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Ultimate fighting became pussified when they outlawed punching/kicking/stomping your opponent's stress nuggets.

Blarg
08-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Not to mention the eating of body parts.

Army Eye
08-15-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tim Silvia got his arm broken in an armbar. He didn't submit. The ref just stopped the fight when he noticed that Silvia's bone broke.

Anyone see that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The classic example of this is the fight between Kazushi Sakuraba and Renzo Gracie. Sakuraba gets Renzo in a kimura and bends his arm into an ungodly shape. Freaking Renzo never gave up even as he's watching his arm get turned into a pretzel.

Luzion
08-15-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Links to videos plz or bittorent links plz. I want to know how to do this.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on IRC. You wont be able to find all the newest stuff on P2P networks...

irc://irc.ultra-irc.net:6667/UFC-PRIDE

Or you could manually connect.
server = irc.ultra-irc.net
channel = #UFC-PRIDE

Has TONS of Ultimate Fighting stuff and Pride fighting. You can leech the full shows; most of them from XDCC... lots of other MMA (mixed martial arts) and K1 stuff too. I personally like Pride more then UFC now.

kdotsky
08-15-2005, 05:18 AM
It's not pain that makes them tap. When a submission move is fully "locked in", they simply know there is nothing they can do to stop they're arm/leg/ankle/knee from being broken in the next few seconds. It's just training.

I trained with the Militech camp for several months. I saw a guy get his ankle broken in an ankle lock during very light practice sparring. He obviously didn't feel much pain, nor did he have reason to try to resist it. It just happened accidentally, which is why you're trained to just tap out.

The first time I got put in an arm bar while sparring the guy watching jumped in because I did not react to it quick enough (it didn't hurt). After a while you just react to situations by their actual level of danger rather than their level of pain. For example, while an opponent grinds his knee into your head with most of his weight, it may be very painful but you just "think I'm fine, no real danger". You get put in armbar and you think "armbar, too late for countermove, time to tapout" when you possibly don't feel much pain.

The pain threshold these guys have is by far enough to withstand an armbar (not that it's smart). They probably feel much worse pain in other parts of the match.

BTW if you want to see some *serious* UFC, try to find UFC 1-4. It's nothing like what you see today.

08-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Go here:

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

Download Emule. It's free and no spyware. Pretty easy to use. Just make sure you have a port open in your Windows XP firewall if you use it. As far as IRC goes, I've never been able to figure out how the hell to use IRC to download files so good luck with that. I still doubt that you'll find 200 UFC movies on IRC like you find on P2P network.

08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
You should also get Peer Guardian if you plan on downloading movies like SpielBerg movies or something. Or downloading music.

http://methlabs.org/projects/

It'll keep you from getting a letter from the RIAA. As far as I know, it's legitimate and safe. I use it.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both.

[/ QUOTE ]

DMBFan23
08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
try to find UFC 1-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

two matches that always get me are

"oh my, we have elbows in number..."

and the other one where one dude stars off with a running kick to the chest of the guy who charges him on the opening bell. both are from one of the first 4 UFCs IIRC

hoyaboy1
08-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Many people also consider it bad etiquette not to tap, because you are forcing the opponent to break your arm, which most guys don't want to do.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many people also consider it bad etiquette not to tap, because you are forcing the opponent to break your arm, which most guys don't want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Ettiquette is very important when attempting to cause serious bodily injury to one another.

hoyaboy1
08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
There is a major difference between trying to end a fight and trying to break a guys arm. And, like anything that started within the last 15 years, I'd assume you actually have no idea what this post is about.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a major difference between trying to end a fight and trying to break a guys arm. And, like anything that started within the last 15 years, I'd assume you actually have no idea what this post is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. Very nice! No, I've seen UFC, though not lately.

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

its all good, that was a sick break though cause it took a replay to fully see what frank mir did,

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and i loved how when rogan asked him about it he said the ref was stupid and that it wasnt broken, haha what a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

makes you wonder how bad the adreneline was pumping through him, cause the replay showed the entire forearm popping like several times. When it happened I thought that was what I saw, but wasn't sure, and then the replay definetly showed it. I loved how everyone was booing it. I've been a fan of Frank Mir since I saw him submit Pete Williams in under a minute with a sweet elbow lock

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone see that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The classic example of this is the fight between Kazushi Sakuraba and Renzo Gracie. Sakuraba gets Renzo in a kimura and bends his arm into an ungodly shape. Freaking Renzo never gave up even as he's watching his arm get turned into a pretzel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renzo just looked at his elbow dislocated and kinda had this oh well look on his face. ALso, had their been longer rounds, or no rounds, that knee bar Sak put Royce in would've broke royce's leg, or at least [censored] up his knee real bad. Sak had that knee bar locked in real bad and that was the first time ever that I had seen royce show any form of pain in his face

wayabvpar
08-15-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try to find UFC 1-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most cringeworthy things (http://www.mmafighting.com/faq/joeson.html) I have ever seen happened in UFC 4. Owwie.

The old school UFCs were fun- no weight classes, multiple fights in a night, etc. It was pure chaos, but it was fun to watch. The stuff these days in far more polished- the fighters are trained much more extensively, there is more money and fame, etc. I still enjoy it, but sometimes I long for the old days.

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
fred penner in UFC2 getting the [censored] kicked out him was pretty sick too, his face got rearranged

kdotsky
08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Do you mean Fred Ettish and his "Fetal Fighting" style?

http://ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/ettish2.htm

KDawgCometh
08-15-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean Fred Ettish and his "Fetal Fighting" style?

http://ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/ettish2.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's who I meant. Who the [censored] is fred penner, and why did I come up with that last name, whatever. I just remember watching that UFC and Fred Ettish saying that his Kenpo would be stronger then whatever the other guy used, I laughed and knew he'd get his ass kicked

Luzion
08-16-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go here:

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

Download Emule. It's free and no spyware. Pretty easy to use. Just make sure you have a port open in your Windows XP firewall if you use it. As far as IRC goes, I've never been able to figure out how the hell to use IRC to download files so good luck with that. I still doubt that you'll find 200 UFC movies on IRC like you find on P2P network.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are joking right? 200 UFC movies on Emule? UFC is just barely past 50... Are you just downloading clips or something? Emule has its uses, but this is not one of those.

If you are serious about downloading UFC, Pride, or K1 dont use crappy Emule. It can take days. You can download the newest stuff, full fights, not just clips on IRC at like 300k/sec... Just figure it out, its not even hard