PDA

View Full Version : home theatre sound effects

Ray Zee
03-27-2003, 05:40 PM
so what are some dvd's that i can currently rent that have great sound effects for home theatre. not just lots of noise.
and of course are worth watching.

IrishHand
03-27-2003, 05:46 PM
The Matrix is one of the best home theater experiences, and a great movie to boot.

Boris
03-27-2003, 05:56 PM
just take some lsd and the sound effects will take care of themselves.

davidross
03-27-2003, 06:04 PM
I posted the same question a few weeks ago because I had bought a new system. One guy pointed me to a website that rated the best 10 movies for a home theatre(Not necessarily for the quality of the movie however). They were

1) Star Wars Episode II (The sound effects are fantastic)
2) Lord of the rings
3) Monsters Inc
4) Harry Potter
5) K19 the widowmaker ( I rented it last weekend. Movie was OK, submarine effects were very good, especially the detonation of a test missile)
6) Black Hawk Down (Anything with helicopters sounds great in surround sound)
7) Austin Powers Goldmember
8) The 5th Element
9) Pearl Harbour (lousy Movie, 30 minutes of terrific batle scenes)
10) Spider Man

I bought two concert albums, The Last Waltz and The Eagles Hell freezes over, that have top notch sound if you like that music.

B-Man
03-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Ray,

In my opinion, Attack of the Clones (Star Wars Episode II) is the best DVD (in terms of sound and special effects).

I also think it is a good movie (not as good as the original trilogy, but much better than the crappy Phantom Menace).

Josh W
03-27-2003, 06:39 PM
A great opportunity for "Shake your house with Bass" effect is watching the Pod Racing Scene from Star Wars Episode I.

Inthacup
03-27-2003, 06:47 PM
After all that work I went through to find that page, then post the link here for you, all the recognition I get is "one guy". Geez.(insert fruity graemlin to signify that I'm just kidding)

As for some movie suggestions:

1. Minority Report has great sound quality, but I would only rate the movie "good"
2. X-Men(I haven't seen 1.5, so I don't know if they added anything onto that one)
3. The 5th Element is one that I would encourage for the visual effects. The DVD doesn't support DTS, which sucks, but it does support Dolby 5.1.

davidross
03-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Your help was greatly appreciated. I was racing to get out of the office and I was too lazy to go find the link. You deserve all the kudos for it.

I've enjoyed picking off the movies one by one. I'm halfway through Blackhawk down now and only the 5th element to go. I'm having a ball with the system. Only problem is I want to crank it up, and usually everyone is in bed when I want to watch.

Mark Heide
03-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Ray,

Here's a few I like:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Last Temptation of Christ (Music by Peter Gabriel--a lot of Egyptian percussion).

Here's a couple of high brows or as they used to say long hairs:

Roger Reynolds: Watershed IV--for percussion and real-time sound spatialization performed by Steven Schick & TRAnSiT. Basically this was conceived as a solo for percussionist. It makes you feel like you are sitting in the center. This DVD also features multiple angle selection during the performance.

Beauty and the Beast directed by Jean Cocteau--This was just released recently on the Criterion Collection. It's a restored film from 1946, but includeds the complete opera by Philip Glass on an alternate soundtrack.

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
03-28-2003, 01:25 AM
thanks i will try some of them, i have seen a few already. but with boris's suggestion i will be groovy.

John Cole
03-28-2003, 02:45 AM
Ray,

Can't comment on the surround, but having seen these in theaters or at home with the stereo hooked up, I figure they should sound pretty good with your new stuff.

First, Malick's The Thin Red Line has great sound effects throughout, a fine score, and looks gorgeous. Besides, it may be the greatest war movie ever made, and it makes Saving Private Ryan look laughable in comparison. Be warned, though, that not everyone will agree with me.

Here's a good spooky movie: Dario Argento's Suspiria, which features a creepy, atmospheric soundtrack.

I just watched Apocalypse Now: Redux, and I would imagine it's pretty good. The long version has a few good scenes, but the French plantation scene sucks--skip by it.

Now trust me completely on this one: it has one of the greatest soundtracks I've heard in years. Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans is a masterpiece. You could simply listen to it.

John

Rick Nebiolo
03-28-2003, 06:42 AM
John,

I was wondering if I ever was going to agree with you again in my life - then you wrote: "Now trust me completely on this one: it has one of the greatest soundtracks I've heard in years. Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans is a masterpiece. You could simply listen to it".

My favorite movie score by far!!

~Rick

Off Topic: Check out this review of a Rhode Island NY System Hot Weiner Joint

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=89&RefID=89

Rick Nebiolo
03-28-2003, 06:50 AM
ray,

"Das Boot" is one of my favorite movies and the only one I've ever seen on DVD. Here is a link to a review of the long "director's cut" DVD version.

http://www.moviesforguys.com/action/reviews/dasboot.shtml

~ Rick

Ray Zee
03-28-2003, 11:23 AM
okay thanks i got a list now that i will try to find. if my stores around here dont carry them i may need to know that company that mails you dvd's to rent and you send them back.

Inthacup
03-28-2003, 12:20 PM
That company you speak of is netflix (http://www.netflix.com) . I've never used it, but I have friends who swear by it. I'm a huge fan of buying previously viewed DVDs from Blockbuster for $10-12. I don't rent unless it's a movie that has no special sound/visual/supplimental features and I know I'll only watch it once.

Martin Aigner
03-28-2003, 01:07 PM
I havenīt seen it on DVD, but in the cinema the background music was great: The power of one. (lots of african style music)

Quite a good film too.

Regards

Martin Aigner

Mark Heide
03-28-2003, 05:49 PM
John,

I agree with you about Suspiria. It has an excellent soundtrack mixing sound effects with music that enhances the drama of the movie. Excellent choice.

Mark