PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I FOLD to a reraise when I don't think I have the best hand?

AA suited
08-14-2005, 06:43 PM
$50+5 SnG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t4250)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB (t5750)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero raises to t600, BB raises to t1700</font>, HERO Pushes, BB calls t2650.

I've been the bigstack and bullying like crazy. 3 handed, I raised and villian reraised all-in. I had some garbage like 39o and called and lost. Then villian eliminated the 3rd guy and became the bigstack.

Why cant i lay my cards down when I'm re-raised?!

and how can i correct this?!

THX

Reef
08-14-2005, 07:29 PM
tell yourself that you're probably gonna lose if you call that 3-bet b/c you're pretty sure you're beat.

also, press the fold button.

AA suited
08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
that little voice in the back of my head says fold.

but i ignore it, type in 9999 and raise all-in. call the all-in.

err on the side of aggression...

How do i get myself to listen to that little voice instead?

08-14-2005, 11:56 PM
EVERY time you facing a re-raise, re-evaluate the texture of the board, the tendencies of your player, and the quality of your own hand. Don't do it only when you might be beat. Do it even when you are ahead. Do it every time. "What can he possibly be holding?"

jb9
08-15-2005, 12:06 AM
It sounds like maybe you are avoiding a hard decision (folding after you've put a bunch of chips in) by just defaulting to the aggressive option (which often feels better).

xTKOx's advice is good. A re-raise should always make you review the situation again before acting.

AA suited
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EVERY time you facing a re-raise, re-evaluate the texture of the board, the tendencies of your player, and the quality of your own hand. Don't do it only when you might be beat. Do it even when you are ahead. Do it every time. "What can he possibly be holding?"

[/ QUOTE ]

and i always think he's trying to re-steal. or thats how i convince myself to go over the top and push, or call his all-in.

why do i keep thinking they're trying to resteal?

a majority of the time, if they re-raise, they have the goods, RIGHT? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jb9
08-15-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a majority of the time, if they re-raise, they have the goods, RIGHT? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Give them some credit.

Most of the time, they have it (and the rest of the time they have K3o and suck out on you, but that is a different post /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Sometimes it is a bluff re-raise, but certainly not the majority of the time.

If you raise with a weak hand because you are trying to steal, and you get re-raised, it is often correct to fold unless you think you can get your opponent to fold by re-raising all in.

If you are willing to call a re-raise to your initial raise, you are probably better off just going all in right from the start unless you are hoping your opponent will re-raise (but that's more strategy than psychology).